Leftist economic ideas are based on the worst human emotions, the UK edition

Started by Tamas, September 23, 2014, 12:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2014, 12:40:57 PM
Funniest thing is that this would I believe affect a LOT of poor people, as I have seen many such 5+ bedroom houses divided into house share arrangements. Will the owners cough up the tax or raise the rent to pay for it, I wonder?

I doubt there are many poor people living in £2m houses. At conservative yield of 3%, the rent would be £60,000 pa. or £12K a bedroom.

5 bed houses for house share tend to be in zones 3 and outwards and won't reach the £2m mark. There are less than 100,000 houses of that value in the whole of the UK most of them owner-occupied. So very unlikely to affect a LOT of poor people

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on September 23, 2014, 12:52:41 PM
And "already taxed income" IS a valid argument.
If you say so.

Point is, it is a stupid popular shittie thing. They just had to figure out something envious people would approve, and use it as an excuse for what will pay for their election-promise spree-spending. Hence the thread title.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2014, 12:36:23 PM
If they're not then they shouldn't have a problem with helping poor sick people :p

At what income or wealth level does that logic no longer apply?

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 12:56:44 PM
If they're not then they shouldn't have a problem with helping poor sick people :p

Just above Tyr's

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 12:56:44 PM

It doesn't.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

mongers

It's reassuring in a way, that we have so few librarytarians over here, we have to import them.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2014, 12:54:41 PM
If you say so.

Point is, it is a stupid popular shittie thing. They just had to figure out something envious people would approve, and use it as an excuse for what will pay for their election-promise spree-spending. Hence the thread title.
Probably, but that says nothing about the validity of the argument that taxing taxed money is an unspeakable evil.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on September 23, 2014, 01:14:52 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2014, 12:54:41 PM
If you say so.

Probably, but that says nothing about the validity of the argument that taxing taxed money is an unspeakable evil.

Its not. It is merely unethical.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on September 23, 2014, 01:14:05 PM
It's reassuring in a way, that we have so few librarytarians over here, we have to import them.  :cool:

I bet people opposing the "bedroom tax" support this idea.

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2014, 12:18:27 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2014, 12:02:54 PM
Those houses were bought from taxed incomes.
Not necessarily so.
Lots of expensive property in the UK is in the hands of wealthy foreigners and lots of our wealthy take part in various tax avoidance and overseas banking schemes.

Exactly what I thought, unless bribes to Putin and donations to Al Queda count as "tax".

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2014, 02:09:37 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2014, 12:18:27 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2014, 12:02:54 PM
Those houses were bought from taxed incomes.
Not necessarily so.
Lots of expensive property in the UK is in the hands of wealthy foreigners and lots of our wealthy take part in various tax avoidance and overseas banking schemes.

Exactly what I thought, unless bribes to Putin and donations to Al Queda count as "tax".

If it is illegal, sue them. If there are loopholes, fix them. Everything else is bullshit excuse for dirty populism aimed to please the plebs.

Josquius

Better populism that actually does propose to do a good thing than the standard brand of right wing "Foreigners are all benefits grubbing gypsies!" populism.
██████
██████
██████