Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

The Cardinal gives up.  He asks people to leave the streets, not to give their lives. 

Monoriu

Hospitals have asked the people to avoid hospitals for non-urgent treatment since they need to give priority for the wounded. 

Monoriu

The fucks have now blocked roads in Causeway Bay, our shopping district.  And they stand at a petroleum station right outside police HQs, daring the police to fire tear gas at them.  They really want to take away our peaceful society, eh.  I hate them, honestly. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:20:19 AM
HK's best days are long gone.  Our factories are gone; our ports are no longer needed.  Really, the only thing left is finance.  But finance tends to make a very small number of people very rich.  The rest are left with low level retail, cleansing, and security jobs that can't be outsourced to China, or can't be automated.  Young people no longer have hope for the future. 

Kinda makes you wonder why Yi hasn't emigrated already, it's his kind of party.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 07:51:09 AM
Turns out that the arrested university level student leader is a minor.  His 18th birthday is next month.

A fucking freshman.  You mean to tell me there isn't a single upperclassman that has at least got his Gen Eds out of the way first to lead this shit?

Then again, they're taking a playbook straight from drug dealers;  let the minors sling and carry your shit--they get ROR'd to their parents, and are back doing it the next day.   Velly sneaky.  :ph34r:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 10:31:53 AM
Quote from: Zanza on September 28, 2014, 10:29:10 AM
I was in my corporation's office in Hong Kong last year and they seemed to lack qualified IT personnel. Other than that I would agree with Mono's description of Hong Kong's best days having gone by. It was much more pronounced in Macau though.

Yeah, we have huge problem recruiting programmers.

That's because they're all working for the PLA.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:29:41 AM
It isn't like I live in North Korea.  I can go to any website I want.  The courts are truly independent.  I have all the freedoms I want.  I don't have democracy, true.  But I don't really mind, because the people who want it only want to rob me.

For now.  But keep doing nothing, Mono, and see where it leads.

And if you think a bunch of students are out to rob you, you keep doing nothing and see what the CCP and the PLA takes from you in the end.

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 10:13:37 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2014, 10:12:54 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:20:19 AM
HK's entire reason for existance is a closed China.  If China opens up and trades with the rest of the world, why is there a need for a middleman?  HK's best days are long gone.  Our factories are gone; our ports are no longer needed.  Really, the only thing left is finance.  But finance tends to make a very small number of people very rich.  The rest are left with low level retail, cleansing, and security jobs that can't be outsourced to China, or can't be automated.  Young people no longer have hope for the future.  They realise that their only hope is to build a welfare state for the losers, and they want more government participation in the economy so that corporations will create more jobs for them.  Since they can't replace the government that has refused their request by votes, they now try to unseat the government through civil disobedience.

... and you are unsympathetic to this? You think they should just give up hope instead?

I think they should do better in their exams, and join the finance sector :contract:

I thought of all things, you would at least be good at maths, Mono.  :hmm:

Jacob

I think they should do better in their exams, and join the finance sector :contract:

You yourself said that only a tiny minority of people will be able to join the finance sector. So where does that leave the people who cannot?

Zanza

They could consider a career as riot police.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 28, 2014, 11:17:06 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:29:41 AM
It isn't like I live in North Korea.  I can go to any website I want.  The courts are truly independent.  I have all the freedoms I want.  I don't have democracy, true.  But I don't really mind, because the people who want it only want to rob me.
For now.  But keep doing nothing, Mono, and see where it leads.

And if you think a bunch of students are out to rob you, you keep doing nothing and see what the CCP and the PLA takes from you in the end.
They can take whatever they want, but Mono's smalltime, so they won't be interested in him.

The real danger is ten years from now when huge cohorts of unemployable people kick in his door and proceed to rob and murder him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2014, 01:30:11 PM

You yourself said that only a tiny minority of people will be able to join the finance sector. So where does that leave the people who cannot?

That's the point.  There is a set number of people who can get the good jobs.  The exams are graded on a curve.  Only a certain percentage will win no matter what.  If one person does better, another will automatically become worse by default.  :contract:

Monoriu

Quote from: Neil on September 28, 2014, 02:03:20 PM

The real danger is ten years from now when huge cohorts of unemployable people kick in his door and proceed to rob and murder him.

HK really doesn't have an unemployment problem.  The unemployment rate is close to 3% and I don't think it is possible to go lower than that.  The real problem is working poor.  The people are working, but the pay is low, there is no hope for advancement and the wages aren't enough to sustain a family.