Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Monoriu

They'll probably block roads in the central business district on 1 October too.  And surround the central government complex.  3 metre high defensive works have been completed :yeah:

Syt

So, when are the tanks rolling in?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2014, 10:28:35 AM

If they just want to skip classes and demonstrate on campus, they can do it for as long as they want.  If they don't fulfill the attendance requirements and can't graduate, it is their problem (HK doesn't have a real credit system where you can complete your degree in whatever amount of time you want.  You generally must graduate within 4 years). 

They have already tried blocking roads a few months ago.  The police surrounded them, picked them up one-by-one and cleared the area within a few hours.  The same thing will happen when they try the same tactic again, likely on 1 October (national day of China).  If the scale is too large, the police will use tear gas to reduce the numbers.  Correctional services has already prepared facilities to process thousands.  In any case, it'll be over in a day or two. 

It is important to note that a criminal record is a huge deal in HK, even for something as minor as disruption of the peace.  No professional licences, no financial jobs, no government jobs, no security jobs, etc.  This is the reason why the organisers of the protests don't want anyone below 40 to participate in road-blocking.  Doesn't stop people from trying though. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on September 22, 2014, 08:55:16 PM

If they just want to skip classes and demonstrate on campus, they can do it for as long as they want.  If they don't fulfill the attendance requirements and can't graduate, it is their problem (HK doesn't have a real credit system where you can complete your degree in whatever amount of time you want.  You generally must graduate within 4 years). 

They have already tried blocking roads a few months ago.  The police surrounded them, picked them up one-by-one and cleared the area within a few hours.  The same thing will happen when they try the same tactic again, likely on 1 October (national day of China).  If the scale is too large, the police will use tear gas to reduce the numbers.  Correctional services has already prepared facilities to process thousands.  In any case, it'll be over in a day or two. 

It is important to note that a criminal record is a huge deal in HK, even for something as minor as disruption of the peace.  No professional licences, no financial jobs, no government jobs, no security jobs, etc.  This is the reason why the organisers of the protests don't want anyone below 40 to participate in road-blocking.  Doesn't stop people from trying though. 

Sounds like an oppressive hellhole.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

If so many get arrested that the number of people in that generation without a criminal record is lower than the number of people need for those professions than the standards will be changed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Mono knows how to deal with such troublemakers  WERE LATE FOR DINNER

Valmy

Even to preserve Hong Kong's government itself?  Wild.

Anyway what happened to the Mono who likes the Status Quo?  You seem delighted to see it get torn down around you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on September 22, 2014, 10:21:48 AM
3 metre high defensive works have been completed :yeah:

Yeah!  My country's way of life and government is arbitrarily being destroyed by an irresponsible and distant tyranny!  This will end well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 22, 2014, 09:03:03 PM
If so many get arrested that the number of people in that generation without a criminal record is lower than the number of people need for those professions than the standards will be changed.

Fat chance of that happening.  Every year, the government hires at most a few hundred graduates, out of a student population of like 50-60 thousand.  The majority of university graduates don't get jobs that require a university education.  Even if half of them are arrested, there are still plenty to choose from.  Hell, a few months ago when my team hired a temporary executive assistant, we got 700 qualified applications.  Can't care less if we get "only" half.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2014, 09:07:54 PM

Anyway what happened to the Mono who likes the Status Quo?  You seem delighted to see it get torn down around you.

Huh?  These students are trying to disrupt the status quo, hence I don't support them. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2014, 09:04:53 PM

UNLIMITED BREADSTICKS AT OLIVE GARDEN
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on September 22, 2014, 09:11:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2014, 09:07:54 PM

Huh?  These students are trying to disrupt the status quo, hence I don't support them.

The PRC is changing the status quo, the students are protesting that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2014, 09:15:06 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2014, 09:04:53 PM

UNLIMITED BREADSTICKS AT OLIVE GARDEN

:w00t:

And I don't even need an additional reason to want to run over bicyclists.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 22, 2014, 09:15:33 PM

The PRC is changing the status quo, the students are protesting that.

No.  HK doesn't have full democracy.  The students want to change that.  The PRC wants things to stay the way they are.