News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Network trouble

Started by Maladict, September 21, 2014, 01:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

As of today all my network connections have disappeared (both LAN and WLAN).
A long list of exclamation marks in the device manager, all wan miniports, wifi and ethernet devices are not functioning.
Couldn't get them to go away by installing new drivers, so I tried a system restore point.
Now all network adapters are gone from the device manager except the PCIe adapter, which appears to be working.
However, still no network connections.
Any ideas?

CountDeMoney

Have you turned off and then turned on your computer?

Have you unplugged your modem and then reset it for 30 seconds?

Maladict

CountDeMoney

Call the provider, see if there are any outages in the area?

Liep

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers in safe mode? That worked for me when my USB ports went missing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DontSayBanana

I've seen this exact scenario, and it can play out one of a couple ways.

Best case, something messed with your chipset drivers.  Reinstall chipset drivers, then LAN drivers, then WLAN.  If either the LAN or WLAN still come up with errors after reinstallation, you've got bigger problems and may need a new motherboard.
Experience bij!

Maladict

I plugged in an old WLAN adapter, it seems to work. That'll do for now, I'll look into it again when I've got more time.
Thanks guys.

viper37

Follow DSB's advice, but first, uninstall everything.

In fact, I'd uninstall any chipset/Lan/Wlan drivers you have, restart windows, reinstall Lan or wifi drivers from disc then download all the new drivers if you don't already have them.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

Thanks, I'll try that when I find some time.
I'd like to have a full day in case it turns into a complete nightmare, it usually does when I start tinkering with stuff.  :blush:

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on September 25, 2014, 03:34:34 PM
Thanks, I'll try that when I find some time.
I'd like to have a full day in case it turns into a complete nightmare, it usually does when I start tinkering with stuff.  :blush:
If you have a working internet connection right now, then download everything you need first:
- Make sure you have a Windows DVD/USB nearby with your license key in case something goes horribly wrong
- Make sure you have all your drivers* on your hard drive.  Not on a USB key, in case Windows does not recognize your USB ports without the driver...

*Drivers:

• chipset
  • video card
  • Lan
  • Wifi
  • Audio card
  • Keyboard and mouse, if required
  • Monitor, if required
  • Any other device you have plugged
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

Thanks, that's sensible advice. I'll give it a shot next weekend.

Tonitrus

I just got my home wifi setup in my new condo, and while working fine yesterday and today, it is pretty well dead today.

My theory: As my laptop can seem to pickup around 20+ wifi signals, I assume interference is killing me dead and I'll have to go out and see if a dual-band router will solve it.

Anyone willing to confirm my theory, or is it crap?  And if so, any specific router recommendations?  :P

Maladict

Try changing your router channel.

Liep

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 04, 2014, 11:37:03 PM
I just got my home wifi setup in my new condo, and while working fine yesterday and today, it is pretty well dead today.

My theory: As my laptop can seem to pickup around 20+ wifi signals, I assume interference is killing me dead and I'll have to go out and see if a dual-band router will solve it.

Anyone willing to confirm my theory, or is it crap?  And if so, any specific router recommendations?  :P

I have 20+ connections too and my laptop's signal is the same no matter if my router is set to dual band or just one.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tonitrus

Quote from: Maladict on October 05, 2014, 10:58:18 AM
Try changing your router channel.

Tried changing the channel, never helped.

Every time I go into the router settings and essentially reset everything, it will work for about 30 seconds and then go to crap.  My other devices will say they can connect to it, but then the internet won't work (it works when I connect directly with a network cable, so the internet is fine).  But after that, no devices can connect at all, even though the router is still visible.

I am moving towards the theory that my router is just an old POS that has finally given up the ghost (it's a Cisco/Linksys WRT54G2).  :P