Explain the situation in Syria like it's happening in Civ 5: Brave New World and

Started by Ender, September 19, 2014, 02:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ender

Ashurbanipal has been playing all wrong, now it's really starting to show in the late game. The Assyrian civilization is supposed to be an early game military power house(which he did fairly well), but he didn't play out his tech boost long enough. Now that everyone is caught up and are ahead tech wise, they've had a chance to create and craft a seemingly more attractive culture, causing Ashurbanipal's cities to flip all over the place. It doesn't help that Assyria is split between two different religions, with foreign ones creeping in at the fringes. Ashurbanipal has relied heavily on the Shia bonuses, which have been falling out of power quite rapidly thanks to the Sunni influence in the region.

George Washington, Napoleon, and Elizabeth don't exactly have a whole lot to lose if Ashurbanipal conquers the rebels, as their tech and culture far outweighs him, but their city state allies do. Jerusalem is right next door, and provides quite the religious and cultural boost to George Washington. Jerusalem also helps protect George Washington's trade routes with the nearby civs, which are somewhat essential to his economy.

Catherine, on the other hand, has it's last true regional ally in Ashurbanipal. If he is conquered by rebels, she'll lose a lot of influence in the region, and quite possibly lose control if George Washington and Nebuchadnezzar get into a war. She also wont be able to protect her trades routes properly, which she relies on quite a bit.

This wouldn't be as big an issue as it is, except George Washington also claims that Assyria has been using chemical weapons, which are clearly prohibited by the World Congress. Catherine claims otherwise, but it's a bit of a "he said, she said" sort of situation. What my spies know is that he does have chemical weapons and he is plotting against another civilization, but we're not sure who. If those chemical weapons fall into the hands of one of the rebel factions, it could be disastrous for all the nearby players and city states.

Edit: I'm not sure how I'd fix this situation if I was in Assyria's place. Frankly, the foreign powers have too much influence as it is. I'd try to improve happiness as much as possible, try to get some broadcast towers up, and end any open borders I have with any countries. Once the empire is done revolting, they could get back on track.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I'd switch my ideology to Freedom (ie the one of Washington/Elizabeth/Napoleon, rather than Catherine's Authoritarism) to remove their cultural pressure and stop the rebels. Since they are all so powerful culturally, neither could win a cultural victory any time soon.

I'd then trade my oil for luxury resources to boost happiness, and pick some happiness related ideological tenets.

Once that is done - and irrespective of whether my citizens speak English or French as a result - I'd beeline to either Globalisation and try to win diplomatically, or attempt a science victory.

Assuming I decide to go for a diplomatic victory - and since Catherine with her hostile ideology would be now the biggest threat to my stability - I'd leverage my extra World Congress votes to emnargo her and ban her luxury monopoly resources, to plunge her empire into anarchy.

Admiral Yi

I would demand everyone switch to my religion then cross my arms and make a frownie face when they don't.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████