Movies, books etc. that affected you disproportionally

Started by Martinus, September 16, 2014, 02:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

By "disproportionally" I mean that they were generally good (or not) movies and books, but not so great as to be expected to have the kind of impact on your life they actually did.

For me, it was a 1960 movie "Inherit the Wind", with Spencer Tracy playing a lawyer defending a theory of evolution teacher in 1920s. I watched it when I was maybe 10 or so, and I think this is the first time I ever thought of becoming a lawyer.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2014, 02:16:47 PM
By "disproportionally" I mean that they were generally good (or not) movies and books, but not so great as to have the kind of impact on your life they actually did.

For me, it was a 1960 movie "Inherit the Wind", with Spencer Tracy playing a lawyer defending a theory of evolution teacher in 1920s. I watched it when I was maybe 10 or so, and I think this is the first time I ever thought of becoming a lawyer.

A much less great show tv show, L.A. Law, which I also watched when I was about 10, similarly inspired me to want to be a lawyer.  :blush:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2014, 02:26:23 PM
By "disproportionally" I mean that they were generally good (or not) movies and books, but not so great as to have the kind of impact on your life they actually did.

A much less great show tv show, L.A. Law, which I also watched when I was about 10, similarly inspired me to want to be a lawyer.  :blush:

I would have imagined a show on the Spanish Inquisition ...  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on September 16, 2014, 02:49:00 PM

I would have imagined a show on the Spanish Inquisition ...  :P

You should never have expected that.

After all, no one expects the spanish inquisition.

The Brain

By "disproportionally" I mean that they were generally good (or not) movies and books, but not so great as to be expected to have the kind of impact on your life they actually did.

I guess presidential candidate and generally awesome religiotard didn't hold the same appeal as fucking lawyer. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2014, 03:00:47 PM
Anybody can run for President and lose.

I won by not running for President, indeed the whole world won on that one.  :smarty:

The Brain

Corbin Bernsen? Harry Hamlin? Richard Dysart? Baldy? Please tell me it wasn't a woman.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

There was a really crappy made-for-TV remake of that in the 80s with Kirk Douglas and Jason Robards.  Should have been a hit with both of those guys, but it all seemed like they hadn't even had time to do rehearsals.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on September 16, 2014, 03:03:47 PM

Corbin Bernsen? Harry Hamlin? Richard Dysart? Baldy? Please tell me it wasn't a woman.

Benny :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Lulz, Arnie was my hero.  That was my plan.

Law school -> family law -> specialize in divorce -> bang all hot female clients = dick profit!

Alas, never took the LSATs to find out.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2014, 03:42:00 PM
Lulz, Arnie was my hero.  That was my plan.

Law school -> family law -> specialize in divorce -> bang all hot female clients = dick profit!

Alas, never took the LSATs to find out.

:w00t:

It's never too late to find out!

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/about-the-lsat/

Savonarola

Wile E. Coyote was my role model growing up.  I wanted to be just like him with a limitless supply of dangerous technology and no adult supervision.  So I became an engineer.   :)

;)

When I was in first grade my class saw a play.  I don't remember what it was, but I was so impressed by it that I wrote my own play.  My teacher wouldn't have it performed, largely because it was written by a six year old in pencil on double lined recycled paper, but that's how I started creative writing.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Someone once threw a copy of Jack Kerouac's 'On the Road' across a room at me; I wasn't concerned by it's flight, but the impact had a profound effect on me.