Movies, books etc. that affected you disproportionally

Started by Martinus, September 16, 2014, 02:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Machiavelli - after The Prince I abandoned virtue ethics for a version of consequentialism/utilitarian ism.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2014, 05:04:32 PM
Machiavelli - after The Prince I abandoned virtue ethics for a version of consequentialism/utilitarian ism.

I read that as a kid, concluded the guy was a failure.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

I saw the car from this movie when I was 10 y/o. Been a Mopar fan ever since.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Qu'est-ce que le Tiers État?

That is where I learned the privileges of the church and the aristocracy had to be destroyed, by force if necessary.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

I was always on the lookout for the Purina Chuck Wagon when I was a tyke :blush:

http://youtu.be/rnwppcD-SMc

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2014, 09:40:36 PM
Qu'est-ce que le Tiers État?

That is where I learned the privileges of the church and the aristocracy had to be destroyed, by force if necessary.
:lol:

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on September 16, 2014, 05:34:14 PM

Yes, after reading it intentions stopped mattering and the effects of actions started to matter to me. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, after The Prince the destination mattered more than the road surface.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

celedhring

1- Ada or Ardor by Nabokov - and no it didn't influence me to give incest a go, I don't have a sis. I was 17 at the time and it was the book that moved me to take writing seriously.

2 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - influenced me greatly in trying to write stuff that it's original and surprising, but at the same very relatable. Helped me develop my style as a writer a lot.

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on September 17, 2014, 02:48:34 AM

Yes, after reading it intentions stopped mattering and the effects of actions started to matter to me. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, after The Prince the destination mattered more than the road surface.

When did you read it?

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2014, 02:57:17 AM

When did you read it?

When I was 17

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on September 17, 2014, 02:58:09 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2014, 02:57:17 AM

When did you read it?

When I was 17

Interesting. I didn't read it until I was 29 so I had already landed in that area.

Tonitrus