Nancy Pelosi: Civilization ‘In Jeopardy’ If GOP Takes Senate

Started by garbon, September 13, 2014, 07:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/nancy-pelosi-civilization-jeopardy-gop-takes-senate-video-022018064.html

QuoteOn the one hand, California U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi claims that Democrats are not "fear-mongers;" on the other hand, she believes civilization is doomed if Republicans take control of the Senate from Democrats in November.

The former speaker of the House made those dramatic, incongruous statements on "Real Time with Bill Maher," which aired live from Washington, D.C. Friday.

Maher asked Pelosi about recent polling which shows that the GOP is likely to take over the upper chamber and asked, given gridlock in Washingon, why it matters that Democrats keep control.

"It would be very important for the Democrats to retain control of the Senate," Pelosi told Maher. "Civilization as we know it today would be in jeopardy if the Republicans win the Senate."

Democrats currently hold 53 seats in the Senate. Republicans have 45. Two independents caucus with Democrats.

Maher asked about voter turnout for Democrats, which he asserted was too low to carry the party in the mid-term.

"Nobody comes about to vote to say 'thank you,'" Maher said. "The people who get health care now — they're the people least likely to vote. The people who come out to vote are the angry people."

"That's true," said Pelosi. "Fear is a motivator, and we are not fear-mongers. The Democrats are messengers of hope, and that's what we will continue to be."

Nevertheless, Pelosi said she thinks election models are flawed.

"All of the prognostications are predicated on false, ancient, old, stale assumptions," she claimed. "We're in a whole new world of communications now."

Pelosi pointed out that "prognosticators" initially predicted that former House Majority Leader Eric Cantor would win his GOP primary by 35 points. Instead, he lost by 10, she said.

"They were 45 points long, 90 miles off shore of Washington, D.C.," Pelosi said of the pollsters.

"So how do they know what's going on in the heartland of America?" the San Francisco liberal asked.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2014, 08:33:17 AM
Look what they've done to civilization with just the House.

"They" as in Pelosi and company?  She's got no cred when it comes to "preserving civilization."  She was about as uncivilized a Speaker as the US has ever had.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

It's a little hyperbolic, but there is a grain of truth there.  The world seems to be getting into highly uncharted waters fast, having the only adult country among the good guys be taken over by trolls far more adept at sabotaging than governing would be problematic.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on September 13, 2014, 10:24:29 AM
It's a little hyperbolic, but there is a grain of truth there.  The world seems to be getting into highly uncharted waters fast, having the only adult country among the good guys be taken over by trolls far more adept at sabotaging than governing would be problematic.

Yeah with Russia going into evil empire mode, China throwing it's weight around, the EU getting sillier and more directionless, and the Middle East being it's usual mess yet again it would be nice if the US had its shit together in an adult fashion.

I keep getting a whiff of the early late 19th Century early 20th Century from events these days; but I'm sure that even if there are similarities, it'll turn out different. It's hard to feel complacent about international politics.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on September 13, 2014, 01:36:25 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 13, 2014, 10:24:29 AM
Yeah with Russia going into evil empire mode, China throwing it's weight around, the EU getting sillier and more directionless, and the Middle East being it's usual mess yet again it would be nice if the US had its shit together in an adult fashion.

I keep getting a whiff of the early late 19th Century early 20th Century from events these days; but I'm sure that even if there are similarities, it'll turn out different. It's hard to feel complacent about international politics.
I don't think it really makes much of a difference.  Neither US political party really has anybody's best interests at heart.  The Republicans will bluster and obstruct, while trying to order the tide not to rise.  The Democrats will just pretend like it's 1995 forever and everything is A-OK.  Both parties will just rob and steal and manipulate until they are stopped by violence.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on September 13, 2014, 10:17:38 AM

"They" as in Pelosi and company?  She's got no cred when it comes to "preserving civilization."  She was about as uncivilized a Speaker as the US has ever had.

Nonsense, she was wonderful.  No Sam Rayburn or Tip O'Neill, but nobody is.

And compared to the monkeys and footballs running the House today, she looks like a frigging Profile in Courage.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2014, 05:21:41 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 13, 2014, 10:17:38 AM

Nonsense, she was wonderful.  No Sam Rayburn or Tip O'Neill, but nobody is.

And compared to the monkeys and footballs running the House today, she looks like a frigging Profile in Courage.

I think you meant she was awful. The Pelosi-Reid connection was a terrible joke played on all Americans.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

It's kind of sad that we can look pretty fondly back at the Bill Clinton vs. Newt Gingrich days for effective governance.  :(

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 13, 2014, 05:33:23 PM
It's kind of sad that we can look pretty fondly back at the Bill Clinton vs. Newt Gingrich days for effective governance.  :(
Not so much sad as pathetic.  I hate all of these fucks.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

I think Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell are going to be so busted one day as previous homosexual lovers.  You just know they were fucking each others' brains out once upon a time, that kind of animosity just doesn't happen any other way.

Siege

Fuck yu all.

If you all have become brainwashed by the Vast Left Wing Conspiracy, you all vacuum my Tracy.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"