Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Freddie Mercury was neither of those.  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on September 16, 2014, 08:12:39 AM
Translation: bureaucrat appointed to office designed to promote official bilingualism finds: opposition to bilingualism the worst example of bigotry possible.  :lol: Is completely unable to understand why unilingual anglophones feel disadvantaged in the federal jobs department compared with folks from Quebec - so the notion must be bigotry, not rational self-interest. Because lord knows, if there is one thing completely alien to a federal bureaucrat, it is rational self-interest.

Me too.  :huh:

Grallon

Well Viper, how do enjoy being the laughingstock of a self satisfied crowd?  Have you learned your lesson yet?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Eddie Teach

I would never laugh at Viper when I could laugh at Grallon instead.  :lmfao:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2014, 03:38:00 PM
Translation: bureaucrat appointed to office designed to promote official bilingualism finds: opposition to bilingualism the worst example of bigotry possible.  :lol: Is completely unable to understand why unilingual anglophones feel disadvantaged in the federal jobs department compared with folks from Quebec - so the notion must be bigotry, not rational self-interest. Because lord knows, if there is one thing completely alien to a federal bureaucrat, it is rational self-interest.

The argument is quite simple, really.

If you grow up in Quebec or a few other pockets (Ottawa region, parts of New Brunswick) you're almost certain to grow up bilingually without any particular struggle or issue.  Hence most people there are bilingual.

If you grow up elsewhere though, becoming bilingual is a major undertaking.

And, anecdotally, I can tell you that far from Quebec, Quebecers are disproportionately over-represented in federal government management roles.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Fair enough, but by the same token I don't think that's true of folks from the backwoods of Quebec.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2014, 03:38:00 PM

What BB said.

The net effect has been that, over time, people from Quebec are way disproportinately represented in federal government positions. Figures I have seen (dunno how accurate) is that, in senior fed positions, people from Quebec have one in three, while people from Quebec are around one in five in the country.

In much of English Canada, outside of some places in Manitoba, Ottawa, or New Brunswick, there is essentially no benefit to learning French (over the benefit of learning any other language) other than to get a federal government job - as essentially only a very tiny minority of people around you speak it: in Toronto, for example, as many people have "French" as their mother tounge as have "Gujarti". The net result is that, looking at it in terms of cold hard rational self-interest, the bilingual requirements disadvantage anglo Canadians on average, at least in terms of the chances of getting a federal government job - the net benefit is making Jacob feel comfortable on the one hand, and keeping the country grudgingly united on the other.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Fun fact - when I was hired to work for the Feds, the position I was in required a bilingual prosecutor.  Whoops!

Thankfully, a month or two later (and well before they discovered this little quirk) they had already hired a bilingual Quebec prosecutor, so we just swapped our positions (on the ground of course nothing changed whatsoever).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Maybe the Canadian government should work on expanding Francophone presence in western provinces.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on September 16, 2014, 02:21:03 PM
Another note - personally, as an anglophone - when returning to Canada from overseas, the presence of French language stuff is comforting and familiar. Whether it's getting on to Air Canada and hearing announcements in both official languages, whether it's the customs forms on the plane, or the signage at the airport, seeing French and English side by side is a welcome sign of home.

I know I'm not the only anglophone who feels that way.

So anglo-chauvinists who mouth off about how French is a waste of resources or doesn't represent Canada most certainly do not represent me or my point of view. I'm very happy with official bilingualism in this country, and I'm sympathetic to the idea of the distinct society of Quebec.

That does not mean, however, that I can't find individual language based policies in Quebec to be ridiculous or counter-productive or wrong-headed even if I'm sympathetic to the preservation of Quebec culture and the French language.

This is reassuring for francophones, I believe. Though I suppose the question that could be debated now is the amount of desired or even possible change and/or improvement in the language policies in Québec, since a significant enough proportion of francophones want them to stay, for good reason IMO given the situation of the French language in Canada and North America. The bigotry shown by some in the rest of Canada and elsewhere, gives yet another proof they still have a raison d'être.