News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Language Education Questions

Started by Savonarola, September 12, 2014, 11:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on September 16, 2014, 08:12:39 AM
Not responding to the entire rant (too time consuming) but I have to admit, this quote is irresistable:

Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2014, 12:21:11 AM

Graham Fraser, an English Canadian journalist noted for his sympathy for Quebec, has tempered both sides. "This phenomenon (of English Canadian Francophobia) exists, I do not doubt it; I have read enough of Alberta Report to know that there are people that think bilingualism is a conspiracy against English Canadians to guarantee jobs for Quebecers — who are all bilingual, anyway.", he wrote. "I have heard enough call-in radio shows to know that these sentiments of fear and rage are not confined to the Canadian west. But I do not think these anti-francophone prejudices dominate the Canadian culture."[115] Fraser, in fact, was himself named as Canada's new Official Languages Commissioner in September 2006.

Translation: bureaucrat appointed to office designed to promote official bilingualism finds: opposition to bilingualism the worst example of bigotry possible.  :lol: Is completely unable to understand why unilingual anglophones feel disadvantaged in the federal jobs department compared with folks from Quebec - so the notion must be bigotry, not rational self-interest. Because lord knows, if there is one thing completely alien to a federal bureaucrat, it is rational self-interest.

At least you weren't called an "Anglo-wannabee" for saying that language-based apartheid is dumb. :D

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2014, 09:08:24 AM
Not responding to the entire rant (too time consuming) but I have to admit, this quote is irresistable:

Graham Fraser, an English Canadian journalist noted for his sympathy for Quebec, has tempered both sides. "This phenomenon (of English Canadian Francophobia) exists, I do not doubt it; I have read enough of Alberta Report to know that there are people that think bilingualism is a conspiracy against English Canadians to guarantee jobs for Quebecers — who are all bilingual, anyway.", he wrote. "I have heard enough call-in radio shows to know that these sentiments of fear and rage are not confined to the Canadian west. But I do not think these anti-francophone prejudices dominate the Canadian culture."[115] Fraser, in fact, was himself named as Canada's new Official Languages Commissioner in September 2006.

Translation: bureaucrat appointed to office designed to promote official bilingualism finds: opposition to bilingualism the worst example of bigotry possible.  :lol: Is completely unable to understand why unilingual anglophones feel disadvantaged in the federal jobs department compared with folks from Quebec - so the notion must be bigotry, not rational self-interest. Because lord knows, if there is one thing completely alien to a federal bureaucrat, it is rational self-interest.

At least you weren't called an "Anglo-wannabee" for saying that language-based apartheid is dumb. :D

I just wanted to point out that Alberta Report became The Report in 1999, and ceased publishing entirely in 2003.  While it should not surprise fellow Canadians that I was a regular reader, but it was hardly representative of anglo-Canadian views, being an avowedly conservative magazine with small circulation and struggling circulation numbers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2014, 09:37:25 AM

I just wanted to point out that Alberta Report became The Report in 1999, and ceased publishing entirely in 2003.  While it should not surprise fellow Canadians that I was a regular reader, but it was hardly representative of anglo-Canadian views, being an avowedly conservative magazine with small circulation and struggling circulation numbers.

You mean his entire characterization of English Canadians is based on reading an unrepresentative, small-circulation conservative political mag that the vast majority of English Canadians had never even heard of and which no longer exists, and conservative talk-radio callers? What a shock.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Hyperbole much?
I'm shocked, shocked to find our resident drama queen firing on all cylinders.

Berkut

You seem to have a rather selective tolerance for hyperbole. How is the strangling coming along?

0 rows returned

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2014, 12:08:55 PM
You seem to have a rather selective tolerance for hyperbole. How is the strangling coming along?

Takes one like you to know I guess. :)

:secret:

Wrong country! But as a hint to you, Chirac may unfortunately have been "my" president (no vote casted for him don't worry), except for some of his foreign policy around say 2003.
Nowadays though Cavaco Silva looks much better compared to the current one in France, as in not being a hindrance and being actually useful once in a while.

Berkut

I still have no idea what you guys are babbling about in regards to Chirac. I suspect it is a large dose of bullshit.

The fact that your best collective response to your arguments being routinely demolished is to reference something that may or may not have happened 11 years ago in a completely unrelated topic says much about the strength of your position.

0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2014, 12:08:55 PM

What I find super funny is how they seem to be so fired up over something that I couldn't care less about, save for the sheer illogicality of their arguments. :D

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2014, 12:49:29 PM
I still have no idea what you guys are babbling about in regards to Chirac. I suspect it is a large dose of bullshit.

The fact that your best collective response to your arguments being routinely demolished is to reference something that may or may not have happened 11 years ago in a completely unrelated topic says much about the strength of your position.

Wishful thinking and selective memory. Great combo but not enough to be as entertaining as Martinus' shrilly hyperbole who does not care, except to troll and show his ignorance e.g (French=Québécois & vice-versa).

Grey Fox

It's the same old story.

Right now the CRTC is holding audiences on the future of Canadian TV. Each time the conversation is happening in French, the ignorant RoC crowd(on Twitter) starts crying how French isn't the language of Canada.

It's not oppression but it's damn annoying.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: An Actual Voice of Reason
QFT

0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 16, 2014, 01:23:16 PM
It's the same old story.

Right now the CRTC is holding audiences on the future of Canadian TV. Each time the conversation is happening in French, the ignorant RoC crowd(on Twitter) starts crying how French isn't the language of Canada.

That is obnoxious, but not representative of how RoC actually feels on the subject. As always, the obnoxious trolls make the loudest noises.

Jacob

Another note - personally, as an anglophone - when returning to Canada from overseas, the presence of French language stuff is comforting and familiar. Whether it's getting on to Air Canada and hearing announcements in both official languages, whether it's the customs forms on the plane, or the signage at the airport, seeing French and English side by side is a welcome sign of home.

I know I'm not the only anglophone who feels that way.

So anglo-chauvinists who mouth off about how French is a waste of resources or doesn't represent Canada most certainly do not represent me or my point of view. I'm very happy with official bilingualism in this country, and I'm sympathetic to the idea of the distinct society of Quebec.

That does not mean, however, that I can't find individual language based policies in Quebec to be ridiculous or counter-productive or wrong-headed even if I'm sympathetic to the preservation of Quebec culture and the French language.