News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Ian Paisley

Started by mongers, September 12, 2014, 08:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

This isn't a traditional RIP thread, as the man has had such a huge influence on Northern Ireland and UK politics, I don't think you can ignore his political life.

From my own point of view, I remember him from the 1970s and 80s for his leading role in whipping up the sectarian tensions in the province, something he shouldn't be forgiven for, despite his late conversion to compromising politician for peace.

He may have marched his troops back down that hill, but he marched them up there in the first place. And if it hadn't been for the restrained anti-terrorist and peacekeeping role played by UK military and security forces, we'd have seen something more approaching Yugoslav levels of communal violence than what transpired.

QuoteFormer First Minister and DUP leader Ian Paisley has died

Former Democratic Unionist Party leader Ian Paisley, has died aged 88.

In a statement, Baroness Eileen Paisley said her husband died on Friday morning.

Mr Paisley moved from a political "never man" to Northern Ireland's first minister.

He ended up leading a power-sharing executive at Stormont - although he had supported the strike to bring one down 30 years earlier.

In her statement, Baroness Paisley said: "Although ours is the grand hope of reunion, naturally as a family, we are heartbroken," she said.

"We loved him and he adored us, and our earthly lives are forever changed."

Baroness Paisley said that his funeral would be private.

Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness became first and deputy first ministers

Martin McGuinness, Sinn Féin, who was his deputy first minister in the Northern Ireland Assembly, said he had learned of the death with deep regret and sadness.

"Over a number of decades we were political opponents and held very different views on many, many issues but the one thing we were absolutely united on was the principle that our people were better able to govern themselves than any British government," he said.

"I want to pay tribute to and comment on the work he did in the latter days of his political life in building agreement and leading unionism into a new accommodation with republicans and nationalists

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-29177705

QuoteMartin McGuinness, Sinn Fein tweets: "Very sad to learn that Ian Paisley has died. My deepest sympathy to his wife Eileen & family. Once political opponents - I have lost a friend."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-29176937
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Gups

He was a bigoted cunt for most of his life.
Then he stopped.
Which was good.

Jacob

Quote from: Gups on September 12, 2014, 09:50:03 AM
Then he stopped.
Which was good.

Is it well known what caused him to stop acting like a bigoted cunt?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

Quote from: Jacob on September 12, 2014, 09:52:09 AM
Then he stopped.
Which was good.

The sweet smell of power, even if shared.

Grinning_Colossus

I just poured meself a glass a Jameson and asked the Virgin to accept his dirty, sinful soul into heaven. :)
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

derspiess

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 12, 2014, 10:15:17 AM
I just poured meself a glass a Jameson and asked the Virgin to accept his dirty, sinful soul into heaven. :)

:glare:  Just for that, I'm busting out the Bushmills when I get home.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

:lol:

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on September 12, 2014, 10:20:30 AM

:glare:  Just for that, I'm busting out the Bushmills when I get home.

I have always been very non-sectarian when it comes to whisky :)

Duque de Bragança

Good riddance!
So not hell, but a very long catholic purgatory time would be fine. ;)

PS: I forgot his late conversion, mongers reminded me of it, but I'm still a bit skeptical. I guess this is the case where DE MORTVIS NIHIL NISI BONVM applies.  :Embarrass: Or not, given the late conversion.  :pope:

Martinus

What did she say?

Barrister

I always had a bit of a soft-spot for Paisley, in a "he may be a son of a bitch, but he is our son of a bitch" kind of way.  Doubtless if my sympathies lay more with the catholics I'd feel differently about him.

RIP.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on September 12, 2014, 09:52:09 AM
Then he stopped.
Which was good.

Don't know what stopped him acting like a bigoted cunt. Dying caused him to stop BEING a bigoted cunt.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Zoupa