Are there any important female philosophers in history?

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 09, 2014, 04:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Mary Wollstonecraft and Olympe de Gouges come to my mind.

grumbler

Quote from: Drakken on September 09, 2014, 03:07:10 PM
Mary Wollstonecraft and Olympe de Gouges come to my mind.

They were political philosophers, but I don't know that they were of any particular importance (like almost every other philosopher).  Many of the positions de Gouges supported were adopted, if only briefly, during the Republic of Virtue, but she wasn't alone in arguing those positions and, since she was executed by the leaders of the Republic, it isn't likely that they were implementing her specific ideas.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 09, 2014, 04:24:49 AM
Just what it says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_women_philosophers

The only one I recognize is Ayn Rand and that's not really what I'm looking for.

What kind of man is interested in a intellectual woman?
They are all fat, dress in odd manly style, don't wear make up, and don't work out.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on September 09, 2014, 04:08:08 PM
They are all fat, dress in odd manly style, don't wear make up, and don't work out.
On the other hand, the women aren't all that hot, either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2014, 04:20:13 PM
Quote from: Siege on September 09, 2014, 04:08:08 PM
On the other hand, the women aren't all that hot, either.

:D

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Philosophy is a highly academic discipline so exclusion from the  upper reached of the academy - is an effective exclusion from doing philosophy.  It is probable there were female philosophers in the school of Epicurus (since he taught all and had women disciples) but most of the works of that school were destroyed or suppressed so we don't have them anymore.  Same could be true of the Valentinians (Christian gnostics) who had women leaders and teachers but were utterly suppressed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Capetan Mihali

For the continental team, Kristeva, Irigaray, Cixous, and Judith Butler all come to mind.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 10, 2014, 10:49:30 AM
For the continental team, Kristeva, Irigaray, Cixous, and Judith Butler all come to mind.

They most certainly do not!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.