News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Top 10 Most Famous Kings

Started by Eddie Teach, September 06, 2014, 01:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Henry VIII doesn't belong anywhere near a list of good kings.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 06, 2014, 06:47:16 AM
James I successfully unified the crown.

Henry VII bankrupted the country, lost every war he was involved in, had to deal with numerous internal revolts and broke with Rome. The man was a tyrant of the worst sort.

Liz should probably be on there. But that's more an indication of the poor quality of most monarchs than anything else.

All of which are actions that would help qualify you as famous.

Hell, if you go to every other english heritage managed site,visitors learn it's probably a ruin because of Henry VIII.

I'm with Marty here, to most people Henry and Elizabeth will be more familar/know than James I. And I'd probably rank Charles I over James I as well.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

The James I list is of the 'greatest', not most famous.

No doubt Henry's on the latter.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I only read one biography of James I but he didn't strike me as so great.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 06, 2014, 01:48:36 AM
If their list is "famous" kings which I take to mean, "names a large number of average Joes have heard", I'm surprised they include Cyrus the Great or Haile Salassie, but not Richard the Lionheart (who was admittedly a crappy King of England, but is still famous).
Haile Salassie gets a nod for being around during boomer's lifetimes. I queried my mother, her husband and her friend this morning. All 3 knew him but not Peter, Frederick or Cyrus.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2014, 07:44:58 AM
I'd argue that Charles II was better than James I, if you are looking for a Stuart to enshrine.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 06, 2014, 06:48:34 AM
Henry VIII doesn't belong anywhere near a list of good kings.

Actually I think this is a little too forceful. He may have been a petty tyrant, but his reign was fairly peaceful by the standards of the time, and firmly asserting the primacy of state over church was a good thing ultimately.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Drakken

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 06, 2014, 03:16:42 AM
Assuming you mean Carlos V, he'd probably make my top 20.

I'd replace Queen Victoria to put him on that list. Victoria was a figurehead monarch (and a shrew), when she acted on her own volition it caused potential constitutional crisises, and whatever few things good she did, it was Albert's doing. After he died all she did was grieve for forty years. Hardly a 'great' monarch. Whatever greatness she acquired, others did it for her.  :hmm:

Come to think of it, scratch that; It should be Prince Albert on the list, instead of Queen Victoria.

Drakken

Quote from: grumbler on September 06, 2014, 09:09:50 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2014, 07:44:58 AM
I'd argue that Charles II was better than James I, if you are looking for a Stuart to enshrine.

No love for James II, I see.  :cry:

How about Queen Anne?

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 06, 2014, 06:47:16 AM
James I successfully unified the crown.

Henry VII bankrupted the country, lost every war he was involved in, had to deal with numerous internal revolts and broke with Rome. The man was a tyrant of the worst sort.

Liz should probably be on there. But that's more an indication of the poor quality of most monarchs than anything else.

Lots of of Kings successfully unified the crown in their countries. If you are looking at a top 10 or top 20, that barely ranks as a reason to put someone on that list.

I think English speakers over estimate the familiarity of non-English speakers with English monarchs. I'd say a better measure is how well recognized the particular monarch is outside of his (or her) home country, and outside their particular cultural sphere. Otherwise, the top 10 is going be a big list of Chinese emperors with Princess Di (never mind that she wasn't a Queen) and Hirohito of Japan on the strength of the elementary education and pop-knowledge of one billion Chinese.

Though, I suppose one billion Indians may have a better familiarity with British monarchs, so that could skew it. Though I doubt they're much aware of James I or II.

Zanza

I was in a remote mountain village in Nepal two years ago and in one of the restaurants there was a poster of Will and Kate. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the most famous "monarchs" at the moment.

CountDeMoney

Surprised all you snot-nosed, over-educated Languish history fascists don't have Henri IV listed anywhere.

Ideologue

Quote from: Zanza on September 06, 2014, 10:39:39 AM
I was in a remote mountain village in Nepal two years ago and in one of the restaurants there was a poster of Will and Kate.

That's great, but did you get the headpiece?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)