4 (6.1%)
No (I'd also vote no)
38 (57.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

viper37

Quote from: mongers on September 08, 2014, 08:17:07 AM
10 days to save the Union.   :hmm:

How do you fight this, can you even? :

I think it's too late.  You should have acted 10 years ago.  Even if the NO wins, the division will be profound and there will be resentment toward England from the Scots.  Scottish identity and feeling of difference with the other British will only increase.  Even more once they realize the false promises that were made to them during the campaign by the NO side.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

BB I would contend there is more in common culturally between an Oregonian and an Alabaman than between you and me.

En commencant par la langue.

The Minsky Moment

I get that it is natural to view all problems through the prism of one's own experience, but it isn't very enlightening.  Scotland/UK is not Québec/Canada, or Hungary/AH Empire, or Flanders/Belgium, or whatever.  Each case is different.

The Scots may have very good reason to want independence, I am not in a position to say much on that.  What is interesting is that the Yes case seems to making certain questionable assumptions or sloppy arguments on pretty vital issues, like currency.  Let's assume a future independent Scotland in the EU and a rump Britain that exits - that is actually a pretty plausible outcome a few years out if Yes wins.  Would it really make sense for Scotland as an EU member to use a currency run by a country outside the EU?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 08, 2014, 01:23:56 PM
I get that it is natural to view all problems through the prism of one's own experience, but it isn't very enlightening.  Scotland/UK is not Québec/Canada, or Hungary/AH Empire, or Flanders/Belgium, or whatever.  Each case is different.

The Scots may have very good reason to want independence, I am not in a position to say much on that.  What is interesting is that the Yes case seems to making certain questionable assumptions or sloppy arguments on pretty vital issues, like currency.  Let's assume a future independent Scotland in the EU and a rump Britain that exits - that is actually a pretty plausible outcome a few years out if Yes wins.  Would it really make sense for Scotland as an EU member to use a currency run by a country outside the EU?

My guess is that the actual, practical economic and political issues aren't really the point (though a case can certainly be made that they ought to be). The appeals are to emotion, and not reason; I was serious about this being really "about" the poetry of Robbie Burns. Hence, a certain sloppiness on the practicalities of a "yes" outcome - these aren't really the issues that are driving the yes vote. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 08, 2014, 01:23:56 PM

I dunno man - for years now this has reminded me very strongly of the Quebec independence debate, and this one appears to be coming down to a mirror of the 1995 referendum (which saw the Yes side miles behind to start, but seeing a huge surge in the dying days).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 08, 2014, 09:46:51 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 08, 2014, 08:17:07 AM
10 days to save the Union.   :hmm:

How do you fight this, can you even? :

By pointing out that it guarantees Tory rule to the south for the forseeable future, and the likely exit from the EU of independent Scotland's most important economic partner.
To think that won't impact Scotland is bonkers. 
Are these the best arguments "Yes" has?  Seems incredibly poorly thought through.

Most Scots wouldn't be bothered by that, which is incidentally my principle concern and some might even take pleasure in it.

I don't think a political argument needs to be logical or sound, it just needs to be strong enough to move people, primarily on an emotional level, to get them to change their vote. 

I think history shows plenty of poorly thought through arguments have won at the ballot box.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on September 08, 2014, 01:46:46 PM
But whatever - knock yourselves out. I wish one of them would succeed, if for no other reason than watching it crash and burn might make the other STFU already with their constant whining.
Czechs don't seem worst than they were.  Slovakia had a rough patch getting out of communism but seems better of today than they were before.
I'm not sure about Kosovo, but I doubt it can be worst than in Yugoslavia.  Or Serbian domination.

Incidentally, can you name one failed country, following democratically attained independance, who chose to rejoin the motherland?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2014, 02:04:09 PM
First, it is possible to argue that an independent Quebec and Scotland would be economically better off.  Primarily by having control over their own currency and central bank they would be able to seek exchange rates and interests rates that would better reflect their own local economy.

Possibly.  Except of course that the Scots apparently want to keep sterling and thus cancel out this advantage.

Also a small country with its own currency has more flexibility but is also at risk for instability and runs; this is one reason the Euro was taken up by many of the smaller EU countries.

The banking and insurance industries are quite big in Scotland.  But this is highly mobile capital.  One possibility is that a big chunk leaves Scotland, which isn't so great.  Another possibility is that it stays, maybe even grows.  But then Scotland starts to look a bit like a bigger version of Iceland . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2014, 02:17:30 PM
Incidentally, can you name one failed country, following independance, who chose to rejoin the motherland?

Other than Scotland?
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Incidentally, can you name one failed country, following independance, who chose to rejoin the motherland?

East Germany.

Now I don't think that an independent Quebec, or an independent Scotland, would ever "crash and burn".  They'd still be developed first world nations with well-educated workforces.  But I do have concerns that economically they would lag behind the countries they are leaving behind - that standards of living in either country would be lower than if they'd stayed with the greater political entity.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 08, 2014, 02:21:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2014, 02:04:09 PM
First, it is possible to argue that an independent Quebec and Scotland would be economically better off.  Primarily by having control over their own currency and central bank they would be able to seek exchange rates and interests rates that would better reflect their own local economy.

Possibly.  Except of course that the Scots apparently want to keep sterling and thus cancel out this advantage.

It's curious that you would cut out the exact portion of my post that discussed that... :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on September 08, 2014, 01:46:46 PM
But whatever - knock yourselves out. I wish one of them would succeed, if for no other reason than watching it crash and burn might make the other STFU already with their constant whining.
Czechs don't seem worst than they were.  Slovakia had a rough patch getting out of communism but seems better of today than they were before.
I'm not sure about Kosovo, but I doubt it can be worst than in Yugoslavia.  Or Serbian domination.

Incidentally, can you name one failed country, following democratically attained independance, who chose to rejoin the motherland?

I can only think of handful of countries that democratically attained independence.  It's an odd requirement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

No, and I'd also vote No.

If the Scots promised to draw and quarter Mel Gibson and have him should "FREEDOM!" during the execution if they won, though, I may be persuaded to change my vote. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2014, 02:42:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2014, 02:24:13 PM
East Germany.
Did they ever vote on the issue in the first place?

If they didn't like it they could have left. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on September 08, 2014, 02:36:04 PM
I can only think of handful of countries that democratically attained independence.  It's an odd requirement.
doesn't really count when you're invaded and forced to secede.