News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My brother has died

Started by chipwich, August 28, 2014, 06:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipwich

I mentioned a month ago that my brother had been given a terminal diagnosis of cancer. He had had oral cancer since last October, went through radiation and chemo, and by March he seemed perfectly alright except with a funny voice. He was up and alright during a family reunion in July, but on August first it was discovered the cancer had reappeared in his lungs.

The cancer caused flooding which restricted his breathing, and he was very low energy for the month. His girlfriend decided to have a quick wedding this past Sunday in case things got worse, and I was able to go to Washington D.C. where he lived in order to do that. He was a LGBT health attorney and he and his girlfriend worked in the White House some of the time. President Obama wrote a letter for their wedding.

On Tuesday when he was scheduled for chemo, he had some sort of Pneumonia that made him nearly unconscious and died today around 3:30 eastern.

grumbler

I am so sorry to hear this.  I lost my younger brother (for reasons not entirely clear even seven months later) earlier this year, and still can't get out of the habit of thinking "wait until I tell Brian about this!" I dealt with the loss of a parent better than I can deal with the loss of a sibling.  Condolences, man.  :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Damn, I am very sorry to hear that. You have my condolences, of course. :(
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on August 28, 2014, 06:18:30 PM
I am so sorry to hear this.  I lost my younger brother (for reasons not entirely clear even seven months later) earlier this year, and still can't get out of the habit of thinking "wait until I tell Brian about this!" I dealt with the loss of a parent better than I can deal with the loss of a sibling.  Condolences, man.  :(
I haven't lost either my brother nor my parents yet but I imagine it'll be the same in my case, too.

Sorry for your loss, chipwich.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Really sorry to hear this chip :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

I'm so sorry Chipwhich. You have my most sincere condolences. :console:

The same to you Grumbler.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Sounds like your brother was a pretty together guy.

Condolences :console:

And condolences to you as well, grumbler :(

Darth Wagtaros

My condolences. You are in my prayers.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on August 28, 2014, 07:01:46 PM
Sounds like your brother was a pretty together guy.

Condolences :console:

And condolences to you as well, grumbler :(
My brother turned really religious and conspiracy-minded towards the end, so I remain uncertain as to how to approach his death.  By the time he died, I was the only family member with whom he was on speaking terms.  I don't know whether to be happy that he was released from his demons, or sad that he never knew any peace. Literally; after his death, I heard from nephews and nieces that he called them to describe terrifying encounters with the devil.  They were only human in telling him that they didn't want to hear that. I didn't have a clue.  He was always rational in talking to me.

I think that that is as personal as I will get on languish.  May he RIP.   He was my brother, and I will go to my grave thinking I let him down, somehow.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Sorry for your loss too, grumbler.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points