News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Civil War Ancestors

Started by derspiess, August 28, 2014, 10:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 28, 2014, 04:54:03 PM
German unionists in Illinois.  I had a great great great uncle who died at Fredrick.  Of disease oddly enough.  I'm also related to a Union rear admiral, Andrew Foote.

Not odd at all, IIRC disease was the primary killer of the ACW.

Tonitrus

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 28, 2014, 04:47:12 PM
Truth be told, I'm not aware of *any* direct relative that served in *any* war.

My father and I fucked it up, but before that we had a good run of military service going back paternally.

Grandfather: volunteered for the navy the day after pearl harbor
Great Grandfather: volunteered for the Spanish American war
Great Great Grandfather: Civil War volunteer, discussed above
Great Great Great Grandfather: also volunteered for Civil War service, but ended up in some non combat BS role as he had broken his hip sailing around the world before the war and was a bit too old.

I don't remember the details going back further, but I know a few generations before a great x something fought in the Revolution for South Carolina and got some land for it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 28, 2014, 10:57:13 AM
An ancestor of mine from Cervera fought in a rebel Carlist party under the Infante Alfonso Carlos, clashing with the liberals in Central Catalonia until the rebellion was put down. He then fled to France to avoid retribution.

Oh wait, wrong Civil War.
My ancestors are from Wexford...
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on August 28, 2014, 04:41:09 PM
Dunno why it irritates the fuck out of me that people can't get the name of the highest US award for valor right, but it does.

Probably because you're an overly anal nitpicker.  But we knew that.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2014, 05:59:53 PM
Dunno why it irritates the fuck out of me that people can't get the name of the highest US award for valor right, but it does.

Probably true.  Let's call it "the Congressional Medal of Homer" while we are at it.  This is a forum that obsesses over the difference between the Seljuk Turks and Ottoman Turks, or the differences between the T-62 and T-74, but can't name a famous fucking medal correctly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2014, 05:59:53 PM

One of these days someone on this board  is going to say "ask for anal" and have Grumbler show up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: PDH on August 28, 2014, 11:42:43 AM
My...er...great-great-great-grandfather was Henry A Wise, the Governor of Virginia who was in office when John Brown was hanged.  He later became a horrible Confederate General.
You win the thread.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

If someone's ancestor was used by Bedford Forrest as a shield, they could top that.

Caliga

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 28, 2014, 06:33:53 PM
If someone's ancestor was used by Bedford Forrest as a shield, they could top that.
It seems remotely possible in Princesca's case.  She had an ancestor whose was in a (Union) Kentucky cavalry regiment and was killed at the Battle of Jackson.  His name was Jefferson Duncil which I always thought was a neat name.

Anyway, his widow went on to marry her first cousin and she is descended from all three of them. :blush: :kentucky: 

Caliga

Another relative (since I just thought to pull my records for him up):

Enlisted in the Pennsylvania 1st LA Batty E Light Artillery Battery on 20 Jun 1861.
Promoted to Full Corporal on 26 Jun 1862.
Promoted to Full Sergeant on 13 Aug 1862.
Mustered out on 03 Oct 1862, Yorktown, Virginia due to rheumatism and diarrhea. :blush:

Re-enlisted (as a Private) in the 24th Indiana Light Artillery on 22 Oct 1862 in Marion, Indiana.
Mustered out as a Corporal on 03 Aug 1865.

Those of you I am FB friended with:  I took a pic of me at this dude's grave a few months back and posted it.

LaCroix

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on August 28, 2014, 06:32:48 PM
Quote from: PDH on August 28, 2014, 11:42:43 AM
My...er...great-great-great-grandfather was Henry A Wise, the Governor of Virginia who was in office when John Brown was hanged.  He later became a horrible Confederate General.
You win the thread.

That guy was a real asshole.  So glad PDH broke the cycle.

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2014, 08:22:09 PM

That guy was a real asshole.  So glad PDH broke the cycle.

Oh the assholes bred true for a number of generations...according to my ex-wife it is still holding true.  Luckily, I have no issue.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM