News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Civil War Ancestors

Started by derspiess, August 28, 2014, 10:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2014, 01:33:17 PM
My wife's side of the family were solidly Lettowist and this is a pretty typical story.  One of them was one of 32 left out of a consolidated Regiment that once was four Regiments totalling about 5,000.  One was from a North Carolina Regiment that ceased to exist after Gettysburg, of the 9 cousins from Davie County who joined up he was the only one who survived.  The stories of Confederate units are pretty hard core.

My father researched this guy's war history, and I helped (mainly because he was telling the stories through the family and I thought he might be putting in unsubstantiated stuff).

But one story through the family history is that when he married my great great grandmother shortly after the war, someone asked her why should was marrying my great great grandfather (who was apparently a rather rough and uncouth individual). She replied that she was marrying him because all the good men were killed during the war.

With the knowledge of the regiment's history the context of the statement changed: this regiment came from a rural area of Florida, and even today 1,000+ men would be a lot. What came through the family history as a joke was probably an accurate description of what really was the case.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2014, 01:23:47 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 28, 2014, 10:57:13 AM
An ancestor of mine from Cervera fought in a rebel Carlist party under the Infante Alfonso Carlos, clashing with the liberals in Central Catalonia until the rebellion was put down. He then fled to France to avoid retribution.

Oh wait, wrong Civil War.

That works.  What happened after that?

His descendants lived around the Perpignan area until my great-grandfather reentered the country in the 1920s. The Carlist cause still burning bright in the family's hearts, he volunteered for a Tercio de Requetés in the Spanish Civil War, the Carlist militia that supported the Nationalists.

Having fought for the winning side, he became an influential character in my hometown (Badalona) after the war, even being close to be appointed major. But the Carlists quickly fell out of favor and he lost his position.

His brother, who had also fought in the Civil War, volunteered for the Italian army in WWII. He fled to Switzerland in 1943 and now I have family branch there. 

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2014, 01:35:51 PM
Odd.  The Ohioans were not copperheads?

Pretty strong Union men & Republicans.  I would say on the aggregate that Kentucky-Ohio-(West) Virginia tri-state region was pro-Union.  The county in West Virginia I grew up in was pretty evenly split-- the Methodist churches in the area split congregations and formed their own churches based on the North-South split.  I believe the county voted to break away from Virginia to form West Virginia.

QuoteMaybe the Virginians were press-ganged?  Strange they would just happen to line up that way.

Nah, they apparently had some loyalty to Virginia.  One dude was a lawyer and raised a battalion which became a regiment, and the other one signed up early on and served in same unit as a corporal. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 28, 2014, 01:41:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2014, 01:33:17 PM
My wife's side of the family were solidly Lettowist and this is a pretty typical story.  One of them was one of 32 left out of a consolidated Regiment that once was four Regiments totalling about 5,000.  One was from a North Carolina Regiment that ceased to exist after Gettysburg, of the 9 cousins from Davie County who joined up he was the only one who survived.  The stories of Confederate units are pretty hard core.

Was that the NC regiment that suffered 100% casualties at Gettysburg?

It was the 13th and it was 80%.  Though it looks like the unit was still around until the end of the war so I was wrong that it ceased to exist.  I guess my source was relaying that the original 13th ceased to exist.  Its Battle Flag lists Cold Harbor:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on August 28, 2014, 01:48:17 PM
His descendants lived around the Perpignan area until my great-grandfather reentered the country in the 1920s. The Carlist cause still burning bright in the family's hearts, he volunteered for a Tercio de Requetés in the Spanish Civil War, the Carlist militia that supported the Nationalists.

Having fought for the winning side, he became an influential character in my hometown (Badalona) after the war, even being close to be appointed major. But the Carlists quickly fell out of favor and he lost his position.

His brother, who had also fought in the Civil War, volunteered for the Italian army in WWII. He fled to Switzerland in 1943 and now I have family branch there. 

Well let me just say I can identify with having ancestors who heroically supported causes that horrify me :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2014, 01:55:54 PM
Well let me just say I can identify with having ancestors who heroically supported causes that horrify me :P

Jesus Valmy, dont tell me you have Aggies as ancestors?  :o: :hug:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Quote from: celedhring on August 28, 2014, 01:48:17 PM

My mother has photos of my great-grandad in full fascist regalia, plus his Falange Española (our fascist party) membership card. He also harbored Nazi officers that were fleeing to SA; one Nazi colonel courted his daughter (my grandma), and gave her his cap*. Yeah, a nice piece of work he was.

*Which, to my annoyance, she threw away.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 28, 2014, 02:02:32 PM

Jesus Valmy, dont tell me you have Aggies as ancestors?  :o: :hug:

Hey I said they horrify me not lead me to contemplate suicide!

viper37

My great grandmother was an american citizen born in Florida.  If any of my ancestors or someone closely related to one of my ancestor fought in the civil war, it was on the Confederate side.  But I doubt it, I think her family were fairly recent immigrants when she was born, in 1900.  Could be wrong, I wasn't too old when she died and she didn't live long in my grandmother's house.  She was a cool grandma though :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2014, 01:36:11 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 28, 2014, 01:34:10 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 28, 2014, 01:29:14 PM
I have no American ancestors who were living in America at the time, but if I did, I would hope they would have had the good sense to be war profiteers. [/lawyer]  :P

lol

A fine Swedish military tradition.

:lol:

Ball bearings, anyone?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2014, 11:57:27 AM
My relatives were all in their respective old countries that far back, which is pretty standard for western Canada.  The prairies weren't settled until later on.
Ditto.  All four of my grandparents came here after the Great War.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2014, 01:11:34 PM
.... received the Congressional Medal of Honor at Vicksburg,
:mad:  You fucking know better than to call The Medal the "Congressional Medal of Honor!"

Dunno why it irritates the fuck out of me that people can't get the name of the highest US award for valor right, but it does.

The SEC Network just did the same thing in their story on the USC player who earned The Medal.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

All I have is a vague rumor that a distant relative fought at Vicksburg (on the Blue Team) and won a Congressional Medal of Honor.  The one given out by Congress.

Truth be told, I'm not aware of *any* direct relative that served in *any* war.

Razgovory

German unionists in Illinois.  I had a great great great uncle who died at Fredrick.  Of disease oddly enough.  I'm also related to a Union rear admiral, Andrew Foote.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Archy

Non, all us emigration of family members happened post ww2