Burger King to buy Tim Horton to cut tax expenses?

Started by Syt, August 25, 2014, 03:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Josephus on August 26, 2014, 09:47:41 PM
In n' out is really the name of a burger place, or is that, like, a joke?

It's real.  But it's referring to the fast food aspect, nothing sexual.  :P

And most Californians I have known swear by the place.

CountDeMoney

I would slot it somewhere between JITB and A&W.

Eddie Teach

It's fine as long as you don't want french fries with your meal.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 26, 2014, 11:45:40 PM
I would slot it somewhere between JITB and A&W.

Fun fact: Canadian A&W is for a variety of reasons completely independent of the American A&W, and is wildly more successful, being Canada's second largest burger fast food chain (Burger King isn't even close).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Oddly, in a number of foreign countries, Burger King is considered a premium product to McDonald's and charges a decent bit more.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2014, 11:54:34 PM
Fun fact: Canadian A&W is for a variety of reasons completely independent of the American A&W, and is wildly more successful, being Canada's second largest burger fast food chain (Burger King isn't even close).
Yeah, we were struck by that on our recent trip. We ate at A&W several times and were impressed. I had forgotten how good they were. I used to be more of a Burger King guy when I lived there because they had poutine(even if it was terribly salty). Now A&W has poutine too and it's quite good.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 26, 2014, 09:50:59 PM
And most Californians I have known swear by the place.

:hmm:

I don't know. I mean I know a lot of Californians, who originated in other places, who swear by it. I think it's okay but the lack of edible fries is a real issue for me. I'd rather eat at Del Taco.

That said, people certainly do like it in California as else there wouldn't be so many of them in the state. Though I think they are still dwarfed by number of McD's in CA - something like 5:1.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Anyone know the size of the tax savings here?  It seems unlikely they are the key driver of this particular deal. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on August 27, 2014, 10:18:50 PM
What's A&W?

American and Western?

QuoteThe company name was taken from the surname initials of partners Roy W. Allen and Frank Wright.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 26, 2014, 09:49:51 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 26, 2014, 09:47:41 PM
In n' out is really the name of a burger place, or is that, like, a joke?

Not a joke

And from driving around Anchorage today, there is an "In n' Out Liquor".

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Man, I do miss Jack In The Box. I only sampled it during my visits to CA since for some reason there wasn't none in New York.