Burger King to buy Tim Horton to cut tax expenses?

Started by Syt, August 25, 2014, 03:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 25, 2014, 10:51:53 PM
Bet that 15% makes your nipples hard enough to cut glass.

But would he trade the 35% to 15% for free health care?  :P

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2014, 10:50:22 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
Not really.  Tax rates are adjusted, for dividends, mainly.  That way, in theory, for a Canadian business and a Canadian shareholders, the total tax rate (corporate+personal) is similar to having all revenues to the individual.

That's in theory, of course.

The corporate tax rate is 15% in Canada, 35% in the US.
talking internal border only.
First, Corporate tax rate of 15% is only for Federal government.  You need to add provincial rates, 12% for Ontario.  That means 27%.

So, you got 27% for corporate income, then dividend tax rates varies greatly, but if you qualify for all credits, it can be 0%.  For most people, it would be around 15% max.  That makes 42% for the higher bracket. 

Highest total tax rate would be somewhere around 43-45% if you were receving all your revenues in form of wages, at the highest scale.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Canadian corporate tax rates

Unlike US, there are no provinces with zero tax rates for corporations.  And IIRC, State tax is deductible from Federal tax?  And stock options are qualified as an expense under US tax laws?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2014, 11:46:59 PM
Canadian corporate tax rates

Unlike US, there are no provinces with zero tax rates for corporations.  And IIRC, State tax is deductible from Federal tax?  And stock options are qualified as an expense under US tax laws?

State taxes are deductible. Some stock options qualify as a deduction, but in those cases the employee must pay taxes.

The biggest difference isn't that Canada has lower tax rates, but that Canada doesn't tax worldwide income.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2014, 03:05:55 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 25, 2014, 03:02:47 PM
For most military bases, the singular fast food restaurant on base is a BK.  :(

All your base are belong to us.

:D
:(  I wish I'd said that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

I take it that in Canada, Burger King will be represented by a Burger Governor General?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on August 26, 2014, 09:58:47 AM
US ever think about not being a tax hell?

Nah, I think most multinationals are too patriotic to move business off shore to avoid taxes, and those that are not will probably remember their love for America after another speech or two from politicans.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2014, 09:33:06 AM
I take it that in Canada, Burger King will be represented by a Burger Governor General?

Hopefully that wouldn't prevent Mayor McCheese from winning the upcoming mayoral election in Toronto and restoring some dignity to that office.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2014, 11:02:00 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2014, 09:33:06 AM

Hopefully that wouldn't prevent Mayor McCheese from winning the upcoming mayoral election in Toronto and restoring some dignity to that office.

Consign the current one to the deep frier and we will all be the happier for it.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

I think this "buy out" makes perfect sense. Now the worst burger place in the world can sell the worst coffee. Deal made in heaven.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on August 26, 2014, 06:10:08 PM
I think this "buy out" makes perfect sense. Now the worst burger place in the world can sell the worst coffee. Deal made in heaven.

You've clearly never had McDonald's burgers or In 'n Out Burgers fries.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?