Winning Friends and Influencing People the Richard Dawkins Way

Started by Sheilbh, August 21, 2014, 05:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 22, 2014, 01:53:26 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 21, 2014, 07:43:10 PM
QuoteHe faced a backlash for his comment, with one mother, who has a child with the genetic condition, saying: "I would fight till my last breath for the life of my son. No dilemma."
:bleeding:

How does that statement in anyway justify that emoticon?

The bitch was being overly dramatic?

Martinus

Besides she is totally using anecdotal evidence ("my DS kid is great so noone should abort their") and appeal to emotion, which is always bad form. ;)

Josquius

QuoteHe faced a backlash for his comment, with one mother, who has a child with the genetic condition, saying: "I would fight till my last breath for the life of my son. No dilemma."

Downs fetuses should be aborted !=  your son should be killed.
Not by a long stretch
██████
██████
██████

Viking

yet another reason why 140 characters is only enough for bumper sticker slogans and not actual complex (as in having many parts) ideas.

from his website about what he would have said with more than 140 characters

Quote from: https://richarddawkins.net/2014/08/abortion-down-syndrome-an-apology-for-letting-slip-the-dogs-of-twitterwar/"Obviously the choice would be yours. For what it's worth, my own choice would be to abort the Down fetus and, assuming you want a baby at all, try again. Given a free choice of having an early abortion or deliberately bringing a Down child into the world, I think the moral and sensible choice would be to abort. And, indeed, that is what the great majority of women, in America and especially in Europe, actually do.  I personally would go further and say that, if your morality is based, as mine is, on a desire to increase the sum of happiness and reduce suffering, the decision to deliberately give birth to a Down baby, when you have the choice to abort it early in the pregnancy, might actually be immoral from the point of view of the child's own welfare. I agree that that personal opinion is contentious and needs to be argued further, possibly to be withdrawn. In any case, you would probably be condemning yourself as a mother (or yourselves as a couple) to a lifetime of caring for an adult with the needs of a child. Your child would probably have a short life expectancy but, if she did outlive you, you would have the worry of who would care for her after you are gone. No wonder most people choose abortion when offered the choice. Having said that, the choice would be entirely yours and I would never dream of trying to impose my views on you or anyone else."
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on August 22, 2014, 03:03:14 AM
Ok, now I perfectly 100% agree with what he said.

This bit amused me

QuoteThose who thought I was advocating a eugenic policy and who therefore compared me to Hitler. That never entered my head, nor should it have. Down Syndrome has almost zero heritability. That means that, although it is a congenital condition – a chromosomal abnormality that babies are born with – there is very little tendency for susceptibility to trisomy to be inherited genetically. If you were eugenically inclined, you'd be wasting your time screening for Down syndrome. You'd screen for genuinely heritable conditions where your screening would make a difference to future generations.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Well, first of all if I ever faced this choice and agreed to abortion it would probably haunt me for the rest of my days. But I do agree with him.

CountDeMoney

QuoteHe faced a backlash for his comment, with one mother, who has a child with the genetic condition, saying: "I would fight till my last breath for the life of my son. No dilemma.”

Because Tyr's parents would never have said that.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on August 22, 2014, 12:22:38 AM
The problem with Dawkins is that he is perfectly logical and completely insensitive at the same time. Human morality has developed so that there is a lot of grey areas and answers are not always internally consistent and binary.

So when is the real Martinus coming back?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on August 22, 2014, 02:56:23 AM
yet another reason why 140 characters is only enough for bumper sticker slogans and not actual complex (as in having many parts) ideas.

No one forced him to tweet.  If 140 characters wasn't enough to explain his nuanced view then he either should have said something like "it's a complex moral problem but my view is no" or just not address the matter through twitter.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Dawkins is pretty hilarious actually, crude and rude, but funny as heck. And he has a way with words with some of those ingenious insults he comes out with. Lol...

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 22, 2014, 02:56:23 AM

Quote from: https://richarddawkins.net/2014/08/abortion-down-syndrome-an-apology-for-letting-slip-the-dogs-of-twitterwar/"Obviously the choice would be yours. For what it's worth, my own choice would be to abort the Down fetus and, assuming you want a baby at all, try again. Given a free choice of having an early abortion or deliberately bringing a Down child into the world, I think the moral and sensible choice would be to abort. And, indeed, that is what the great majority of women, in America and especially in Europe, actually do.  I personally would go further and say that, if your morality is based, as mine is, on a desire to increase the sum of happiness and reduce suffering, the decision to deliberately give birth to a Down baby, when you have the choice to abort it early in the pregnancy, might actually be immoral from the point of view of the child's own welfare. I agree that that personal opinion is contentious and needs to be argued further, possibly to be withdrawn. In any case, you would probably be condemning yourself as a mother (or yourselves as a couple) to a lifetime of caring for an adult with the needs of a child. Your child would probably have a short life expectancy but, if she did outlive you, you would have the worry of who would care for her after you are gone. No wonder most people choose abortion when offered the choice. Having said that, the choice would be entirely yours and I would never dream of trying to impose my views on you or anyone else."

I wonder if they could discover prenatally that the child will grow up to be gay if they should be aborted as well.  Gays have higher rates of suicide, and from that we can probably conclude higher rates of unhappiness.  So would aborting the gay child be the right thing to do if you were interested in increasing human happiness?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 21, 2014, 09:08:56 PM
After I had some law school under my belt, a good friend asked me if I thought he could sue his mother for not aborting him.

Well, I was doubtful at first, but hell, I put my mind to it and hit the books and with a whole lot of elbow grease and a lot of fancy talking, we argued the case in front of the US Supreme Court, and goshdarnit they ruled in our favor. 

I told him it probably wasn't a recognized cause of action at this point.
Lol, with the US legal system and it's bizarre propensity for ease of lawsuits over anything, we shouldn't be surprised when a case like this comes up.   :D

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2014, 09:26:34 AM
I wonder if they could discover prenatally that the child will grow up to be gay if they should be aborted as well.  Gays have higher rates of suicide, and from that we can probably conclude higher rates of unhappiness.  So would aborting the gay child be the right thing to do if you were interested in increasing human happiness?

On some level isn't that attacking the problem from the wrong direction? After all if gays are generally more unhappy, I'd assume most of that stems from society being intolerant. I wonder if rates of unhappiness will stay the same as we become more tolerant (allowing for life goal things like marriage, children, etc.).

Because, otherwise, yeah then we're heading down a path of well perhaps we can use abortion to increase human happiness by weeding out differences. Can't be picked on for being different if we're all the same. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on August 22, 2014, 09:30:43 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 21, 2014, 09:08:56 PM
After I had some law school under my belt, a good friend asked me if I thought he could sue his mother for not aborting him.

Well, I was doubtful at first, but hell, I put my mind to it and hit the books and with a whole lot of elbow grease and a lot of fancy talking, we argued the case in front of the US Supreme Court, and goshdarnit they ruled in our favor. 

I told him it probably wasn't a recognized cause of action at this point.
Lol, with the US legal system and it's bizarre propensity for ease of lawsuits over anything, we shouldn't be surprised when a case like this comes up.   :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_life
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius