Wine cup used by Pericles found in grave north of Athens

Started by jimmy olsen, August 20, 2014, 02:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Cool

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_30/07/2014_541804

QuoteWine cup used by Pericles found in grave north of Athens

A cup believed to have been used by Classical Greek statesman Pericles has been found in a pauper's grave in north Athens, according to local reports Wednesday.

The ceramic wine cup, smashed in 12 pieces, was found during building construction in the northern Athens suburb of Kifissia, Ta Nea daily said.

After piecing it together, archaeologists were astounded to find the name "Pericles" scratched under one of its handles, alongside the names of five other men, in apparent order of seniority.

Experts are "99 per cent" sure that the cup was used by the Athenian statesman, as one of the other names listed, Ariphron, is that of Pericles' elder brother.

"The name Ariphron is extremely rare," Angelos Matthaiou, secretary of the Greek Epigraphic Society, told the newspaper.

"Having it listed above that of Pericles makes us 99 per cent sure that these are the two brothers," he said.

The cup was likely used in a wine symposium when Pericles was in his twenties, and the six men who drank from it scrawled their names as a memento, Matthaiou said.

"They were definitely woozy, as whoever wrote Pericles' name made a mistake and had to correct it," he said.

The cup was then apparently gifted to another man named Drapetis ("escapee" in Greek) who was possibly a slave servant or the owner of the tavern, said archaeologist Galini Daskalaki.

"This is a rare find, a genuine glimpse into a private moment," she said.

Ironically, the cup was found on Sparta street, Athens' great rival and nemesis in the Peloponnesian War that tore apart the Greek city-states for nearly 30 years.

General of Athens during the city's Golden Age, Pericles died of the plague in 429 BC during a Spartan siege.

The cup will be displayed in the autumn at the Epigraphical Museum in Athens. [AFP]
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

garbon

They must have been woozy as some had to correct the name spelling?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2014, 06:34:01 AM
What of his other brother, Testicles?

Wow!  Haven't heard that one since third grade.  Thanks for the blast from the past.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Only thing surprising about this find is that "grumblus" wasn't carved in the cup, too.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2014, 08:28:46 AM
Only thing surprising about this find is that "grumblus" wasn't carved in the cup, too.

Wow.  You really are going for the obvious in this thread.  Way to challenge yourself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

What do you want from me, it's still way before noon.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on August 20, 2014, 07:29:42 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2014, 06:34:01 AM
What of his other brother, Testicles?

Wow!  Haven't heard that one since third grade.  Thanks for the blast from the past.

Were you also teasing Pericles about his name back in the third grade?

The Minsky Moment

grumbler had already been ostracized for driving the ekklesia up the wall with his criticisms of trireme tactics.
Had he still been there, the spelling error would have been averted and the course of history changed forever.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2014, 09:35:43 AM
grumbler had already been ostracized for driving the ekklesia up the wall with his criticisms of trireme tactics.

:yes:

If only they'd have listened to grumbler, Athens would have won the Peloponnesian War.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Malthus

Quote from: Legbiter on August 20, 2014, 10:02:09 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2014, 09:35:43 AM

:yes:

If only they'd have listened to grumbler, Athens would have won the Peloponnesian War.

Back then, though, war was a young man's game.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius