News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

IT Jobs

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 19, 2014, 07:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

The Evil Empire have just vomited out a lot of job offers in pretty much any country you could want to live in as part of their cloud initiative. I'm assuming it means mostly hocking Azure and stuff like that. It's all new organization, and that tends to be good for the career in the Empire. Old, stagnant stuff stays stagnant, but the new orgs are a good bit more dynamic.

If you've always wanted to move to South America, now might be your chance. I would like to, but my wife just got a big promotion and I'm stuck here. Really, if you are in this stuff and want to move anywhere, now is a good chance to check it out.

I figured we could use a thread for this sort of thing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Sadly, my qualifications are going to kick in right around the same time that the empire finishes their disgustingly huge round of layoffs.
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

That's the best time to get in. They are dumping a ton of cash into new "cloud" orgs now. It's the "after the layoffs" thing to do. And also, new organizations mean you can make a much bigger impact than in existing dinosaur orgs. Move to Slovenia, Chile or Malaysia. Wild and free. New org, new life. Shape the future. All that jazz.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 19, 2014, 08:51:01 AM
That's the best time to get in. They are dumping a ton of cash into new "cloud" orgs now. It's the "after the layoffs" thing to do. And also, new organizations mean you can make a much bigger impact than in existing dinosaur orgs. Move to Slovenia, Chile or Malaysia. Wild and free. New org, new life. Shape the future. All that jazz.

Well, yeah, but I'm referring to the 2-year phaseout they've got going on, so it's a little premature to be making any moves at this time. ;)

Besides, I'm much more a software engineer than an IT guy. :P
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Man, I've seen people with jack shit skills get IT jobs for them. Tick some boxes, got a degree and some dufus certs, you're in and now it's everyone else's job to make you look good. Happens all the time. Eventually, those people either show their worth or get shoved out. People like DSB, Tamas and Wags are the ones who stay. The lady who was instrumental in getting my wife back in after the last layoff ended up taking a IT job just because she needed to take something at all. That ended badly.

Be wary of a job that includes both IT and sales, but if it's in an office of very few people it could be heaven.

Phillip V

Darth Wagtaros

Ride the cloud.  That's all that matters now. 
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 19, 2014, 09:04:02 AM
Man, I've seen people with jack shit skills get IT jobs for them. Tick some boxes, got a degree and some dufus certs, you're in and now it's everyone else's job to make you look good. Happens all the time. Eventually, those people either show their worth or get shoved out. People like DSB, Tamas and Wags are the ones who stay. The lady who was instrumental in getting my wife back in after the last layoff ended up taking a IT job just because she needed to take something at all. That ended badly.

Glad I don't have a kid.  I'd smash his head against a rock the moment he ever chose Treasure Island over coding.