Bárðabunga - the next unpronouncable Icelandic Volcano

Started by Viking, August 17, 2014, 10:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

We might be having a new eruption, this time under 700 meters of ice. No ash clouds, unless it is really really really big. Possible smeltwater flow from under the volcano. When CNN gets on this story expect weeks of Wolf Blitzer cutting to the correspondent on iceland asking if it has erupted yet every hour on the hour.

http://www.jonfr.com/volcano/?p=4690

QuoteEarthquake activity continues in Bárðarbunga volcano and shows no signs of slowing down. Two swarms have appeared in Bárðarbunga volcano system. One is at location called Kistufell, while the second one is at the south-east part of the Bárðarbunga volcano. Increase in earthquake activity in south-east part of Bárðarbunga volcano seems to increase harmonic tremor. I am not sure why that is. As of now (when this is written) no eruption has been confirmed in Bárðarbunga volcano, the volcano is under glacier so confirmation is difficult at best.

Earthquake activity in Bárðarbunga volcano. The two groups of earthquake swarms are visible on this map. Copyright of this image belongs to Icelandic Met Office.

Earthquake activity has been dense as can be seen here. Copyright of this image belongs to Icelandic Met Office.

Harmonic tremor remains high on the Dyngjuháls SIL station. Why that is not clear at the moment. Copyright of this image belongs to Icelandic Met Office.

Harmonic tremor remains high at Vonarskarð SIL station. It has dropped little during the day, but it remains constant at current time. Copyright of this image belongs to Icelandic Met Office.

So far no major eruption has started in Bárðarbunga volcano. That might change without warning as this activity continues. There is a risk of large earthquakes taking place before such eruption. Since the crust in this part of Iceland is thick (up to 40 km thick) and last eruption in Bárðarbunga volcano took place in the year 1794. The eruption in the year 1910 took place in a volcano named Hamarinn and is south-west of Bárðarbunga volcano. Fissure eruptions are also a feature that Bárðarbunga volcano has, if this activity is going to result in such eruption is something that is impossible to know at current time.

Current status changes fast. I post new information on this activity as needed and as things get more clearer on what is happening.

So, eh, cloudy with a chance of tsunami size flash flood, ironically just near where they filmed Noah.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Archy

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Liep on August 17, 2014, 11:11:58 AM
Bardabunga? What a name.

Of course this would go after Mount Bungabunga erupts in Italy.
Experience bij!

Legbiter

Bárðarbunga is easier to pronounce than Eyjafjallajökull. Practically rolls off the tongue.  :P

Eh, it might just rumble on a bit then die down.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

mongers

Volcanic eruptions are just Icelandic diplomacy by other means.  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: mongers on August 17, 2014, 04:28:12 PM
Volcanic eruptions are just Icelandic diplomacy by other means.  :ph34r:

Well, obviously wiht no more missing malaysian airliners, no celebrities going insane, the inability to do their hideously biasased Gaza coverage without it being compared to ISIS Iceland had gone and saved the media by having another eruption in mt unpronounceable.

Eyafjallajökull rolls off the toung quite nicely too.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Legbiter

It's been rumbling on for about 2 days now without erupting. My Bárðarbunga has failed me.

Liep

As long as the winds carry the ash clouds towards America this time I'm fine, but be warned that they'll take it as a sign of aggression.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

Quote from: Liep on August 17, 2014, 05:23:49 PM
As long as the winds carry the ash clouds towards America this time I'm fine, but be warned that they'll take it as a sign of aggression.

Probably no ash cloud, it's under half a mile or ice.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Viking

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 17, 2014, 05:36:20 PM
Then a cloud of superheated ice!  :o

most likely a huge lake of melt water trapped under the ice by the glacier. Which, if the eruption is large enough, will burst out from under the glacier and do this

Viking

Legbiter

The area immediately north of the seismic activity has been evacuated, everybody's battened down the hatches and now we wait to see if the damn thing dosen't calm down. I was going to go to Grágæsadalur with gramps and the boys on Friday but the whole area is a no-go for now.  :hmm: