News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is suicide really selfish?

Started by Martinus, August 14, 2014, 02:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on August 14, 2014, 03:11:58 PM
I wish more languish posters would contemplate it.

Be careful what you wish for, because
QuoteNow, whether you take others with you...well, that as Oprah would say, is for another show.

:ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Good luck trying to take katmai with you anywhere.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Ask my parents in a few months/years/tomorrow/whenever my cats die.  Then again, don't.  They'd probably be biased.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2014, 02:45:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 02:41:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2014, 02:37:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 02:36:00 PM
It was obvious that he had had enough.  And that was his call to make.

No, it was obvious he was having a bad day, and made a bad decision in a moment of pain.

Spoken like somebody who doesn't have a single clue about the sheer, brutal and debilitating weight that is chronic depression.

And toss early onset Parkinson's on top of it? Check, please.

Yeah. We cheer on people who quit jobs, or move to a different city or break up long term relationships - if they get out of an unbearable situation that way. Why can't people quit life in the same way?

Again, Robin Williams is a great example - we are not talking about a moody teenager who is uncertain how he feels. We are talking about an adult man who is fulfilled both professionally and personally. Why can't he at some point legitimately decide that what is ahead of him is more pain than fun and call it a day?

Is that what happened?

I head he was suffering from depression, and hence not acting with his full rational faculties.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 14, 2014, 03:17:39 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 14, 2014, 02:38:06 PM
If you can do it in a manner that doesn't inconvenience anyone then its fine.

Well, pretty much the only way that won't eventually inconvenience someone is to go out and be eaten by bears.

But see, bears are so adorably cute, it's almost pleasant to be mauled to death by one.
Think of all the other nasty critters out there that can kill you.  Snakes?  Spider bite?  Fuck that noise.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on August 14, 2014, 03:26:49 PM
Ask my parents in a few months/years/tomorrow/whenever my cats die.  Then again, don't.  They'd probably be biased.

First you should reflect on how many thousands of cats are killed every year because they can't find anyone to take care of them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 14, 2014, 03:30:38 PM
Depression isn't psychosis.

But it comes and goes, like a case of the Mondays!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2014, 03:10:25 PM
I dunno - my father-in-law has terminal cancer and they're only giving him palliative care.  What it means is that he's had an awesome summer so far visiting with lots of people, spending time with his grandkids and others, rather than being sick in a hospital room taking radical chmotherapy that only buys him a few extra months.
I agree with Brain. That's dignity in life. Palliative care and the hospice movement are something else entirely and very admirable.

The idea of dignity in death is to me as unhuman as dignity in childbirth or sex. It's not dignified. Even in the white-washed walls of a Dignitas clinic, we can't control it. It's as unattainable as an elegant death or a decorous one. I worry about a society that manages, or seriously tries for dignity in death. Inevitably the world leader is Switzerland. Trying to control your valediction with loved ones - or with a grand dinner - is something different and attainable.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Guess Sheilbh's not going to win the VC anytime soon.  No dignity in it.

MadImmortalMan

When Courtney Love read that suicide note on tv in 1993 she ended by chanting asshole asshole asshole at her late husband. I'm guessing Cobain wasn't the only one to blame there.

And no, I think attacking someone for committing suicide is victim-blaming.

Even the most well-adjusted responsible people have their limits. Even Ned Flanders would lash out and kill a man if pushed to enough desperation.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 14, 2014, 02:22:38 PM
I vote we ban Martinus again if this is how he chooses to return.

And, to your question, in your case it would be altruistic.

This if fine, and a decent question.

I say it's mostly selfish.  If you are flying your plane into an aircraft carrier it's not such a selfish act.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2014, 04:39:57 PM

I say it's mostly selfish.  If you are flying your plane into an aircraft carrier it's not such a selfish act.

Stop inciting Neil
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on August 14, 2014, 03:30:38 PM
Depression isn't psychosis.

This is true but it can result in in psychosis and it certainly clouds judgement.  I suspect he may have had manic-depression which causes all sorts of weird behavior.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Viking on August 14, 2014, 04:42:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2014, 04:39:57 PM

Stop inciting Neil

That would be flying a plane into a dreadnought.