News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is suicide really selfish?

Started by Martinus, August 14, 2014, 02:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, every time someone commits suicide you get those voices that "suicide is selfish" etc.

But is it really? Isn't it more selfish to expect people living in pain and anguish - be it physical or mental - to continue living for our pleasure, so they can be in our lives, or worse still, make more movies or entertain us?

Discuss.

Edit: For the record, I am not contemplating suicide. I just find it to be a valid option.

DGuller

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

I vote we ban Martinus again if this is how he chooses to return.

And, to your question, in your case it would be altruistic.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tonitrus

Yes it is.

But selfishness is not always bad.

CountDeMoney

No, it is not.

It is the singular most independent act of individuality and free will one can take in this absurd existence.

Now, whether you take others with you...well, that as Oprah would say, is for another show.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

If you want to commit suicide but want to be guilt-free for the family, go the plausible deniability route and buy a motorcycle.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2014, 02:18:31 PM
But is it really? Isn't it more selfish to expect people living in pain and anguish - be it physical or mental - to continue living for our pleasure, so they can be in our lives, or worse still, make more movies or entertain us?

Both are selfish, just as the vast majority of other decisions we make and feelings we have. A lot of people don't seem to recognize the difference between selfishness and greed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2014, 02:18:31 PM
So, every time someone commits suicide you get those voices that "suicide is selfish" etc.

Discuss.

Edit: For the record, I am not contemplating suicide. I just find it to be a valid option.

Yes, it is selfish.

Let's talk about Robin Williams, since that's what prompted the question.  It's has nothing to do with the fans - he doesn't owe us squat.

But he had three kids and a wife who by all accounts miss their dad terribly.  It is they who have forever lost their father or husband, and because of them it is a selfish act.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2014, 02:33:58 PM
But he had three kids and a wife who by all accounts miss their dad terribly.  It is they who have forever lost their father or husband, and because of them it is a selfish act.

It was obvious that he had had enough.  And that was his call to make.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 02:36:00 PM
It was obvious that he had had enough.  And that was his call to make.

No, it was obvious he was having a bad day, and made a bad decision in a moment of pain.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

He's back, wow.

Only those people who throw themselves in front of trains are selfish.
If you can do it in a manner that doesn't inconvenience anyone then its fine.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

It's obvious that nobody on this forum knew him well enough to know what they're talking about.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?