News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Maliki = Diem ?

Started by mongers, August 11, 2014, 06:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Given the state of Iraq and the conduct of it's 'prime minister', how do you think Maliki's situation compares to the one Diem made for himself in the early 1960s ?

Does the US administration face some similar challenges and policy decisions to those faced in the past ?   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Legbiter

Eh, just arm the Shias and Kurds and with US airstikes and SF's have them go after ISIS. Maliki will only become a Diem if both the US and Iran quit backing the Shias, which would be very dumb.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

I don't think Maliki looks anything like Casper van Dien.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Lots more Shia in Iraq than there were Catholics in South Vietnam.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2014, 06:11:06 AM
Given the state of Iraq and the conduct of it's 'prime minister', how do you think Maliki's situation compares to the one Diem made for himself in the early 1960s ?

Does the US administration face some similar challenges and policy decisions to those faced in the past ?

It is a really poor comparison imo. Nguyễn Văn Thiệu would be a better one if you want to go Vietnam.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Also Iraq needs a Madame Nhu.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2014, 09:01:27 AM
Also Iraq needs a Madame Nhu.

I'll see your Madame Nhu, and raise you a Madame Chiang Kai-Shek.

derspiess

CountDeMoney

When it comes to corrupt little Missuses, come correct or don't come at all.

derspiess

I figured Nhu would be more your style.  Loved to make bold, offensive yet hilarious statements, and Catholic.

CountDeMoney

Martinus

I love how whenever someone on Languish comes with something even remotely resembling an original thought, it immediately gets shot down by nitpicking. :D

I think the comparison is not outlandish - both are secretarian idiots who seem to have plunged their countries into total debacle through their heavy-handed policies.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2014, 12:05:11 PM
I figured Nhu would be more your style.  Loved to make bold, offensive yet hilarious statements, and Catholic.

"Power is wonderful. Total power is totally wonderful."

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius