The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: LaCroix on July 21, 2016, 06:53:17 PM
Quote from: sbr on July 21, 2016, 06:06:03 PM
Oh yeah, and why the fuck would you shoot an unarmed autistic kid, even if he was "sperging out at the time"?

he was holding a toy truck, right?  :P

I haven't seen the video, and I wasn't condoning the cop's actions. I meant it makes more sense than the original story of a cop targeting a guy whose arms are out.

The black guy laying on the street with his hands up is screaming, "I work at the home down the street. Please don't shoot. I'm here to help him. HE HAS A TOY TRUCK IN HIS HANDS. THAT'S JUST A TOY TRUCK. THERE ISN'T A WEAPON."

Should have clued the cops in that this wasn't at all what was called in. And as a former EMT, I can assure you that things are rarely the same on-scene as they are in the 911 call. I would guess that's pretty much the same for cops as it is for fire and ambulance. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

CNN)When the suspicious device landed in his New York police car, Sgt. Hameed Armani thought he was about to die.

The object made a clicking noise. Lights from the device started flashing.

"Boss, this is a bomb," his partner, Officer Peter Cybulski, said from the passenger seat.           
The horror couldn't have come at a worse place. The officers' patrol car was parked in Times Square, which was packed with tourists and locals Wednesday night.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/21/us/new-york-columbus-circle-investigation/index.html
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

QuoteOn Thursday morning, police stopped a man suspected of throwing the device into the police car.
The suspect, identified as 52-year-old Hector Meneses, was in a Gold SUV in Columbus Circle. He told officers he had a bomb strapped to his chest and wanted to die, said NYPD Chief of Manhattan Detectives William Aubry.

I understand wanting to die. I even understand being afraid of actually killing yourself. But suicide by cop is probably one of the absolute worst things you could do. ESPECIALLY right now....

merithyn

No shooting, but certainly some "violent tendencies" are shown by the officer in question.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local/violent-arrest-of-teacher-caught-on-video-officers/nr3W6/

QuoteOfficials are investigating an Austin police officer's violent arrest of an African-American elementary school teacher who was twice thrown to the ground during a traffic stop for speeding and comments by a second officer who told her police are sometimes wary of blacks because of their "violent tendencies."

Video from the previously unreported June 2015 incident was obtained by the American-Statesman and KVUE-TV this week. The video shows the traffic stop escalating rapidly in the seven seconds from when officer Bryan Richter, who is white, first gives a command to 26-year-old Breaion King to close her car door to when he forcibly removes her from the driver's seat, pulls her across a vacant parking space and hurls her to the asphalt.

Richter wrote in his report of the incident that he acted quickly because King demonstrated an "uncooperative attitude" and was "reaching for the front passenger side of the vehicle." He didn't know whether she had a weapon, he wrote. He said King resisted by pulling away from him and wrapping her hands and arms around the steering wheel.

Police charged King with resisting arrest, but the Travis County attorney dismissed the case after reviewing the police dashcam video.

As King was being driven to jail, a separate police video recorded a conversation between King and officer Patrick Spradlin in which he said whites may be concerned about interacting with blacks because they can appear "intimidating."

The Austin Police Department issued the lowest level of discipline to Richter — counseling and additional training — after Richter's supervisors looked into his use of force, but his conduct was never formally investigated by internal affairs. Spradlin was not punished for his comments because the department only learned about them after the Statesman began inquiring.

In an interview this week, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said the department has opened an administrative review into how Richter's supervisors evaluated his actions and a separate criminal investigation. Officials are also investigating Spradlin's comments. But Acevedo said that, under state civil service law, he cannot take disciplinary action beyond a written reprimand against the officers for this incident because it happened more than six months ago.

"After reviewing both videos, I and our leadership team were highly disturbed and disappointed in both the way Ms. King was approached and handled and in the mindset that we saw on display in those videos," Acevedo said. "But there is another piece, which has caused concerns as to our review process and the systems we have in place."

He said he regrets that he didn't know about the situation sooner and that he is taking renewed steps to help citizens learn how to respond when they feel mistreated by officers.

"We need to help our community overcome the fear or reluctance, which I understand, to file a complaint," he said. "This is critical if we are to weed out bad officers and bad behavior."

Neither officer has previous suspensions with the department.

A year later, public scrutiny

The 2015 case had received no outside scrutiny until prosecutors flagged it in recent weeks.

Travis County Attorney David Escamilla said he ordered a resisting arrest charge against King immediately dropped — King paid a $165 fine and court costs for speeding — once he reviewed the videos earlier this year and sent it to felony prosecutors to review Richter's actions.

Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg said her office viewed the video about two weeks ago and asked the Austin police Special Investigations Unit, which looks into cases of possible officer misconduct, to assist them. Lehmberg said the case likely will be presented to a grand jury.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on July 21, 2016, 08:21:13 PM
Should have clued the cops in that this wasn't at all what was called in. And as a former EMT, I can assure you that things are rarely the same on-scene as they are in the 911 call. I would guess that's pretty much the same for cops as it is for fire and ambulance. :P

As a member of Languish, however, I can completely understand the desire to use deadly force on Assburgers.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on July 21, 2016, 11:50:49 PM
Richter wrote in his report of the incident that he acted quickly because King demonstrated an "uncooperative attitude" and was "reaching for the front passenger side of the vehicle." He didn't know whether she had a weapon, he wrote. He said King resisted by pulling away from him and wrapping her hands and arms around the steering wheel.

Not illegal.

QuoteTravis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg said her office viewed the video about two weeks ago and asked the Austin police Special Investigations Unit, which looks into cases of possible officer misconduct, to assist them. Lehmberg said the case likely will be presented to a grand jury.

Where nothing will happen.

Valmy

Something better damn well happen or there will be hell to pay.

QuoteNot illegal.

True. Which was why the charges were dropped.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Save it, SXSW; Austin or no, it's Texas, they're cops and she's black. Nothing will happen.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

I don't know; are you able to post without smirking over dead niggers?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Finally we see some consequences.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/08/why_mormons_don_t_like_donald_trump.html

QuoteConvicted in Shooting Death of Black 18-Year-Old

By Leon Neyfakh

Thursday has been a good day for police reform advocates who believe cops too often get away with using deadly force when they don't need to. In Baltimore, an officer was convicted of assault for wounding an unarmed burglary suspect by shooting him in the groin after he'd already been incapacitated. Now comes word from Virginia that a Portsmouth officer has been convicted of voluntary manslaughter for killing an unarmed 18-year-old during a confrontation in a shopping center parking lot.

The now-fired Portsmouth officer, Stephen Rankin, approached William Chapman in April of last year while investigating a shoplifting incident at Walmart. Testifying during his trial, Rankin told the jury that he had placed Chapman on the hood of his patrol car before trying unsuccessfully to incapacitate him with a Taser. According to Rankin, Chapman, who was black, knocked the Taser out of his hand and came towards him "aggressively" while saying, "Shoot me, motherfucker, shoot me." Rankin said he opened fire on Chapman because he believed Chapman was about to kill him. "I felt I needed to save my life," he said.

According to the Guardian, which reported last year that Rankin had previously been barred from street patrol for almost three years for shooting another unarmed man, prosecutors pressed Rankin on why he resorted to deadly force instead of attempting to deescalate or regain control of the situation in some other way. From the Guardian:

Asked why he chose not to try to physically tackle Chapman, Rankin, a US navy veteran who was trained in mixed martial arts, said he "wouldn't have been able to win an unarmed fight" against the 18-year-old. "This is as dangerous as things get out there," he said of their confrontation.

Rankin was sentenced to 2.5 years in prison. According to the Guardian, "it remains unclear what, if anything, Chapman stole from the Walmart."

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/crime/former-portsmouth-police-officer-stephen-rankin-guilty-of-voluntary-manslaughter/article_029428c3-d045-5827-bdbd-ce9f6acfb733.html

QuoteFormer Portsmouth Officer Stephen Rankin guilty; jury recommends 2½ years for voluntary manslaughter

By Scott Daugherty
The Virginian-Pilot

PORTSMOUTH

A former police officer was convicted Thursday on one count of voluntary manslaughter, and the jury recommended a sentence of 2½ years in the fatal shooting of an unarmed man in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Prosecutors asked for Stephen Rankin, 36, to serve the maximum 10 years for killing 18-year-old William Chapman II. The defense asked for no jail time.

The judge set sentencing for Oct. 12, and until that time, Rankin will be allowed to remain free on bond.

After hearing the verdict, the mother of the victim broke into tears – unhappy with the decision not to convict Rankin of first-degree murder. And after hearing the sentence, she said it was "not enough."

Earl Lewis, a family spokesman, praised the verdict as a turning point in the national Black Lives Matter movement, though.

"We had to start somewhere," said Lewis, a cousin of Chapman. "This was the beginning."

He also tried to remain upbeat regarding the sentence. No, Rankin wasn't led away in handcuffs. But, Lewis said, "he's going to be in handcuffs sooner or later."

Rankin shot and killed William Chapman II on April 22, 2015, in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart off Frederick Boulevard.

According to court testimony, Rankin was investigating a shoplifting report when he approached Chapman. An altercation ensued, and Chapman knocked Rankin's Taser out of his hand.

Some witnesses said Chapman charged Rankin before the shooting. Another said he simply made a jab step toward the officer, as if he was trying to make him flinch.

Rankin responded with two shots, striking Chapman in the chest and the face.

During the punishment phase of the trial, prosecutors called Lewis to testify about Chapman's life and character. The military veteran said he saw a lot of himself in his cousin. He said Chapman planned to get his GED and enlist in the military himself.

The defense called two police officers to testify on Rankin's behalf, including one who was black. The officers praised Rankin as professional and a "great individual." One said Rankin served as the master of ceremonies for his wedding.

Rankin took the stand again, too. He described the shooting as a "terrible tragedy" and said he wished it had never happened.

Prosecutors initially sought to convict Rankin on charges of first-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

Still, Rankin is only the 13th officer to be convicted of murder or manslaughter in a jury trial since 2005, according to research by Philip Stinson, an associate professor of criminal justice at Bowling Green State University.

He was one of only 74 officers to face such a charge during that time, per Stinson.

Rankin also shot and killed an unarmed white man in 2011, while responding to a burglary call in Olde Towne. A grand jury cleared him of criminal wrongdoing in the death of Kirill Denyakin, though, and Circuit Judge Johnny Morrison barred the prosecution from telling the jury about that shooting.

Rankin is expected to appeal the verdict. His defense attorneys have been laying groundwork for months.

Possible targets for appeal: Morrison barred defense attorneys from telling the jury about Chapman's juvenile record and from calling an expert witness to testify on police use-of-force policies. The judge also denied a defense request to postpone the trial in light of recent high-profile shootings of and by police and a request to declare a mistrial because a Chapman supporter spoke with a juror during deliberations.

The jury that decided the case was made up of seven women and five men. Eight are black, and four are white.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

QuoteAfter officer shoots suicidal teen, police find an apology note addressed to them
Post Nation
The Washington Post
by Cleve R. Wootson, Jr
August 2

A few minutes before he picked up the phone and dialed 911, 18-year-old Limichael Shine penned an apology note to the officer that was about to be enlisted in his suicide plan.

"In the note, Mr. Shine wrote that his goal was to commit suicide by officer," according to a news release from the Ocean County, N.J., prosecutor's office. "He apologizes to the officer who will ultimately respond to his call."

About 1:50 p.m. Sunday, Shine was at a house that he helped his mother clean as part of her housekeeping business. He called 911, saying he was suicidal and wanted an officer to come to the home on Robin Street in Manchester Townshship, N.J., about 30 miles southeast of Trenton.

The officers who arrived encountered the 18-year-old holding a large knife, prosecutors said. When he saw the officers, he began walking toward them, telling them to shoot him.

"The Officers gave Mr. Shine commands to relax, surrender and to drop his weapon," the prosecutor's news release said.

But Shine continued to advance — and an officer fired one shot.

The officers gave first aid to Shine in the driveway of the home, but he was later pronounced dead at a hospital.

During the investigation, detectives recovered the knife and the note.

Police and prosecutors have not released the name of the officers who responded to the scene or who fired the fatal shot. It was unclear whether they were suspended pending the result of an investigation.

Rest in peace Limichael shine God knows why this has to happen to the good people

— Dom (@DominickCifelli) August 2, 2016

Nancy Festa, who lives next to the home where police shot Shine, told the Asbury Park Press that she didn't hear the shooting but saw the aftermath.

She said she saw ambulances, police cars and red crime-scene tape strung across her front yard and recalled Shine's mother at the scene, crying out to police: "I want to see him. I want to see him now."

"She was very upset," Festa told the newspaper. "Yeah, I would've been, too. I feel bad for the mother, I really do."

According to his Facebook page, Shine was originally from Rahway, N.J., and went to Toms River High School North. It was unclear whether police officers had ever had any dealings with him before.

Although no one keeps specific numbers of so-called "suicides by cop," a 2014 report by the National Sheriffs' Association estimated that a third of police shootings fall into that category:

Studies suggest that approximately one-third of the shootings by law enforcement officers results from the victim attempting to commit "suicide-by-cop."  The transfer of responsibility for persons with mental illness from mental health professionals to law enforcement officers is both illogical and unfair and harms both the patients and the officers.

The shootings are also difficult to prevent. Officers called to the scene typically have no idea they've been enlisted to be someone's executioner, according to the FBI. The suicidal person an officer may encounter may have done extensive planning, and even practiced, according to a bulletin by the FBI:

Suicide by cop situations are more intense than other suicide calls. All parties are armed, or the victim appears to be armed. The individual is active, rather than passive, and aggressive toward police or others. ...Theoretically, suicides are preventable; however, realistically they may not be avoidable because of the nature of the plan or the point where first responders encounter the suicidal individual. [Suicide by cop] often is unpreventable. This must be considered in the aftermath regarding the officers who were coerced to be the unwilling means.

DGuller

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."