The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2016, 11:52:32 AM
Yeah. The politicians and the voters will have to make it priority where the departments are not doing it themselves.

I agree with this, but think that this will cost a lot more than most people are currently aware of.  What this really means is a lot more training (and a lot more washing out of those emotionally/temperamentally unsuited to wear a badge and a gun) and that means a lot more money.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 21, 2016, 12:26:02 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 21, 2016, 11:38:27 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 21, 2016, 11:23:11 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 21, 2016, 11:10:50 AM
I'm angry for them. I'm furious on their behalf. What are the police doing to combat this image? What are police doing to help bridge this gap? How are they reaching out, helping, being part of the solution? By denying that it even exists.

Why does every white Democratic woman engage in hysterical rhetoric that lumps all police together?

Hysterical? Really? Oh, sorry. I forgot. I have boobs and a vagina, ergo everything that I say is hysterical rhetoric.

By the way, to throw this out there so we both know where we stand, you'll respond and say something you consider clever and witty, and I'll ignore it and you. Because you're neither clever nor witty, as can be seen by the above comment, and there's no value in engaging you.

:lol:  I think that everyone but you (and maybe Raz) saw the deliberate absurdity of my statement (and thus the unknowing absurdity of yours).

Please, don't engage with me.  I am just making fun of your silly statements, not making conversation with you.  There is no value in 'conversing' with you.

Most of your statement are absurd...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

dps

Quote from: grumbler on July 21, 2016, 12:31:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2016, 11:52:32 AM
Yeah. The politicians and the voters will have to make it priority where the departments are not doing it themselves.

I agree with this, but think that this will cost a lot more than most people are currently aware of.  What this really means is a lot more training (and a lot more washing out of those emotionally/temperamentally unsuited to wear a badge and a gun) and that means a lot more money.

I agree, but I do question our ability to successfully completely screen out those unsuited to be police officers.  It seems to me that it's hard to tell ahead of time just how someone will react under stress.  I'm not saying that we can't do a better job, but some folks are going to seem fine until it matters.

And when someone does demonstrate that they can't handle it, we need a way to remove them from the position without necessarily criminally prosecuting them.  Simply being unfit for the job shouldn't be a crime.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on July 21, 2016, 02:22:26 PM
I agree, but I do question our ability to successfully completely screen out those unsuited to be police officers.  It seems to me that it's hard to tell ahead of time just how someone will react under stress.  I'm not saying that we can't do a better job, but some folks are going to seem fine until it matters.

And when someone does demonstrate that they can't handle it, we need a way to remove them from the position without necessarily criminally prosecuting them.  Simply being unfit for the job shouldn't be a crime.

Agreed.  If it was easy, they'd have done it by now, I reckon.  Still, many Euro countries seem to have a better system for police training.  We had this discussion here a year or so ago.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

Well the "good" news is that the cop was trying to shoot the autistic kid with the toy truck and missed.

The bad news is that the cop was trying to shoot the autistic kid with the toy truck and missed.

https://twitter.com/ChuckRabin/status/756205074548924417

LaCroix

that makes more sense, if the autistic man (he was 23 years old) was sperging out at the time

sbr

But the kids wasn't, at least on the video.

Also if he was shooting at the kid, why did he stop firing before he shot the kid and why did they then handcuff the bleeding black dude?

sbr

Oh yeah, and why the fuck would you shoot an unarmed autistic kid, even if he was "sperging out at the time"?

CountDeMoney

Could be shooting for the moon or at fish in a barrel as far as I'm concerned;  still doesn't change the fact that there was no reason to employ deadly force.

CountDeMoney

The only thing more difficult than finding suitable candidates are trying to fire unsuitable officers.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2016, 06:12:34 PM

The only thing more difficult than finding suitable candidates are trying to fire unsuitable officers.

Once they're past their probation, yes.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on July 21, 2016, 06:26:55 PM
The only thing more difficult than finding suitable candidates is trying to fire unsuitable officers.

Well yes, but that would've fucked up the tempo and symmetry of my sentence, but thank you anyway, Officer Rain Man.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2016, 06:29:38 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 21, 2016, 06:26:55 PM
The only thing more difficult than finding suitable candidates is trying to fire unsuitable officers.

Well yes, but that would've fucked up the tempo and symmetry of my sentence, but thank you anyway, Officer Rain Man.
My pleasure.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

LaCroix

Quote from: sbr on July 21, 2016, 06:06:03 PM
Oh yeah, and why the fuck would you shoot an unarmed autistic kid, even if he was "sperging out at the time"?

he was holding a toy truck, right?  :P

I haven't seen the video, and I wasn't condoning the cop's actions. I meant it makes more sense than the original story of a cop targeting a guy whose arms are out.