The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Don't worry, derspiess. :console:  If you try really hard, maybe you'll finally get your chance. :yeah:

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on July 11, 2016, 01:21:23 PM
I also suspect the average cop treats rich black people differently than poor black people.

You've got a point--"poor blacks" are not nearly asked if their car belongs to them as often as "rich blacks" during traffic stops.  Driving a Benz?  Gotta be a drug dealer or stolen.

You people are hilarious.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 11, 2016, 02:04:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2016, 01:49:13 PM
Cop Shoots BLM Member

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/off-duty-st-louis-county-officer-fatally-shoots-intruder-at/article_00c6c2bd-d559-5b78-a8f1-e78187dfa2a6.html

The glee with which you post something like this comes right through. Well done.
I don't know about that, there is some barely plausible deniability there.  Not really all that plausible at all, but just enough to allow him to go "who, me gleefull, yeah, right :rolleyes:".

citizen k

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-video-shooting-dylan-noble-20160707-snap-story.html

At least one use-of-force expert said the chief's statement that the shooting sequence lasted more than 2 minutes was odd.

"That would be highly unusual. It's usually no more than five to 20 seconds between the first and last shot," said Charles "Sid" Heal, a former Los Angeles County sheriff's commander.

In cases where lethal force was used, "each and every shot must be justified as protecting the public or officers," Heal said.

Deadly force could be deemed justified if the officers feared for their lives because Noble made repeated furtive movements, refused to show his hands and refused to follow commands, Heal said.

Once Noble was on the ground after the first shots, officers would have had to reassess the threat, Heal said.

The officers will need to explain the last two shots seen in the video, the expert said.

"Why didn't officers move in after the third shot and restrain him? Fourteen seconds is a long time to wait," Heal said. "Sometimes we get criticized for handcuffing dead people. But this is why we move in and restrain people."

Valmy

Quotehttp://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/off-duty-st-louis-county-officer-fatally-shoots-intruder-at/article_00c6c2bd-d559-5b78-a8f1-e78187dfa2a6.html

And reason # 4 billion why you never talk politics or say anything controversial on Facebook, twitter, or any other non-anonymous place on the internet. You never know what mentally ill person is going to snap and come after you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I also suspect the average cop treats rich black people differently than poor black people.

I doubt it. I'd also bet that rich black people get pulled over more often than rich white people. Must have stolen that car.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2016, 02:07:39 PM

You've got a point--"poor blacks" are not nearly asked if their car belongs to them as often as "rich blacks" during traffic stops.  Driving a Benz?  Gotta be a drug dealer or stolen.

You people are hilarious.

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/07/11/al-sharpton-nra-second-amendment-only-white-people

QuoteAl Sharpton: NRA Believes 2nd Amendment Is Only for White People

During his weekly rally in Harlem on Saturday, Al Sharpton called out the NRA for remaining silent about the police shooting deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, two black men who he said were both legally carrying guns when they were killed.

"Both of them were killed by police based on, 'They had [a] gun,'" Sharpton said. "Now, I missed the NRA coming out and defending the gun rights they legally had. Where is the NRA now? Where is [NRA president] Wayne LaPierre now? Do you have a Second Amendment right, or did you not get down, Mr. Pierre, to the 14th, 15th and 16th Amendments? Maybe you mean the Second Amendment [is] for whites only."

On "Fox and Friends" this morning, David Webb said that the NRA is concerned about the Second Amendment rights of all Americans, pointing out that he's a card-carrying member of the organization and an African-American.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2016, 02:16:49 PM
Cop Shoots BLM Member

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/off-duty-st-louis-county-officer-fatally-shoots-intruder-at/article_00c6c2bd-d559-5b78-a8f1-e78187dfa2a6.html

The glee with which you post something like this comes right through. Well done.
I don't know about that, there is some barely plausible deniability there.  Not really all that plausible at all, but just enough to allow him to go "who, me gleefull, yeah, right :rolleyes:".

Of course he will.

The article is not even interesting though except with that little bit of glee at the "justness" of it all...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2016, 02:16:49 PM
Cop Shoots BLM Member

You guys are weird.  How was that supposed to make me happy?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2016, 02:31:15 PM
http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/07/11/al-sharpton-nra-second-amendment-only-white-people

QuoteAl Sharpton: NRA Believes 2nd Amendment Is Only for White People

During his weekly rally in Harlem on Saturday, Al Sharpton called out the NRA for remaining silent about the police shooting deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, two black men who he said were both legally carrying guns when they were killed.

"Both of them were killed by police based on, 'They had [a] gun,'" Sharpton said. "Now, I missed the NRA coming out and defending the gun rights they legally had. Where is the NRA now? Where is [NRA president] Wayne LaPierre now? Do you have a Second Amendment right, or did you not get down, Mr. Pierre, to the 14th, 15th and 16th Amendments? Maybe you mean the Second Amendment [is] for whites only."

On "Fox and Friends" this morning, David Webb said that the NRA is concerned about the Second Amendment rights of all Americans, pointing out that he's a card-carrying member of the organization and an African-American.

Mr. Colion Noir disagrees.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Here's an interesting study - conclusions that while blacks are more likely to be touched, or handcuffed, than whites are during interactions with police, there is no difference in the rates at which they are shot.

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/american-society/harvard-study-debunks-police-shootings-myth/

http://www.nber.org/papers/w22399

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/11/us/michigan-courthouse-shooting/index.html

Michigan shooting: 2 bailiffs, suspect killed at courthouse, official says

(CNN) — Two bailiffs and a suspect are dead after a courthouse shooting in St. Joseph, Michigan, Berrien County sheriff's Lt. Paul Bailey said.

Bailey said the shooting happened on the third floor of the courthouse. Members of the public "went for shelter once the shooting occurred and brave officers were able to come to the rescue and bring the shooter down," Bailey said at a news conference on Monday afternoon.

A deputy and a civilian also were shot and sustained non-life threatening injuries, Bailey said. They are being treated at Lakeland Health in St. Joseph and are in stable condition

"The courthouse is secured and the scene is rendered safe. No further victims are involved," Bailey said.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".