The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on July 08, 2016, 12:46:04 PM
Police in Fresno shot an unarmed 19-year old during a traffic stop: http://abc30.com/news/family-of-19-year-old-shot-by-fresno-police-speak-out/1418051/

I read that the day it happened. Looks like it was suicide by cop. The kid kept acting like he was reaching for a gun at his back, according to several witnesses.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2016, 01:45:09 PM
Its very simple.

No matter what proposed restriction or sane law you can come up with, the gun nuts can come up with a scenario where it would not have stopped some particular class of violence.

If you propose banning asssault rifles, they point out that VT was handguns.

If you want to restrict handguns, it is pointed out that Orlando was a rifle.

If you want to reduce clip sizes, there is some case where some guy with 12 small clips managed to kill a bunch of people.

It doesn't matter - there is no possible restriction you can propose that these people will accept. The answer is always "No", and the justification is secondary.

More guns with more power and more ammo is the only possible answer.

You know better than to use the word clips improperly.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2016, 01:54:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2016, 01:53:04 PM
So why did police have to blow up the last shooter?

I mean - he was contained, right?  Surely they could have waited him out?  Or am I missing something.

Good question. I am rather shocked they had the means and option to blow him up in the first place.

EOD/Bomb Squad have access to explosive because one of the most common ways to disarm a bomb is with a bomb, which perhaps is counter-intuitive. My suspicion is they used an EOD robot loaded up with EOD charges and detonated it on top of him. In which case it is unprecedented in American policing--not the bomb part, Philadelphia had that covered when it leveled a city block in the 80s to get the MOVE people, but the robot part.

It isn't unprecedented in general though, U.S. forces have been known to rig up EOD robots in Iraq and Afghanistan to be mobile death machines.

Admiral Yi

What's the proper use of clip?  Those little bundled packs you stick in the top, like the Lee-Enfield or the M1?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2016, 03:32:17 PM
What's the proper use of clip?  Those little bundled packs you stick in the top, like the Lee-Enfield or the M1?
Yep.  Technically only the strip-style clip is called a clip.  The magazine-style clips are not technically clips.

derspiess

Yes.  Sometimes they even ship 5.56 ammo on stripper clips, which makes it quicker to load a magazine if you have the magazine speed loader adapter.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2016, 03:35:50 PM
Yep.  Technically only the strip-style clip is called a clip.  The magazine-style clips are not technically clips.

It seems to be a sort of litmus test for gun-nuttery to see who gets worked up over the difference.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2016, 03:44:55 PM

It seems to be a sort of litmus test for gun-nuttery to see who gets worked up over the difference.  :lol:

Its just ignorant.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

I suspect Berkut did it on purpose.  I was: triggered :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 08, 2016, 03:08:01 PMEOD/Bomb Squad have access to explosive because one of the most common ways to disarm a bomb is with a bomb, which perhaps is counter-intuitive. My suspicion is they used an EOD robot loaded up with EOD charges and detonated it on top of him. In which case it is unprecedented in American policing--not the bomb part, Philadelphia had that covered when it leveled a city block in the 80s to get the MOVE people, but the robot part.

It isn't unprecedented in general though, U.S. forces have been known to rig up EOD robots in Iraq and Afghanistan to be mobile death machines.

Ingenious.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 08, 2016, 01:55:22 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2016, 01:52:29 PM
I don't think meaningful change as far as banning guns is concerned is particularly practical. I don't see how a handgun ban is Constitutional.

Why not?  Continue to allow shotguns and bolt action rifles.  The populace is still...er...bearing arms.  Oh, I mean, yeah there would be massive opposition, just like there would be massive opposition to banning "assault style rifles" and shit like that.  But if you're going to do it, fucking do it right.

This is pretty much where our gun laws are at, shotguns and rifles need a license and proof of being securely kept when not in use. And no handguns.

Works in that criminals and nutters are having extreme difficulty finding firearms to use.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2016, 03:44:55 PM

Meh, you can call them bullet-holders or boom boom boxes for all I give a fuck. I just honestly think Berk knew better and I expected more, it's technically incorrect to use the wrong terms ;).

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: derspiess on July 08, 2016, 03:35:53 PMYes.  Sometimes they even ship 5.56 ammo on stripper clips, which makes it quicker to load a magazine if you have the magazine speed loader adapter.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 08, 2016, 04:15:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 08, 2016, 03:35:53 PMYes.  Sometimes they even ship 5.56 ammo on stripper clips, which makes it quicker to load a magazine if you have the magazine speed loader adapter.

I have an uplula for my 9mm mags.  That thing is great.