The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 08, 2016, 12:50:51 AM
Lol, if they bring in reserves those guys are barely po-po at all. More like Dwight Schrute wannabes.

I'll have you know that Erik Estrada is a Reserve cop in St. Anthony, Idaho.  So keep that in mind.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

OttoVonBismarck

I think you're missing the point I was trying to make and I'm questionable on if I have the energy to explain further. But basically cops aren't infantrymen or vice versa, but they do both have uniforms and guns. If you don't realize that though it can lead to problems in understanding a situation and even extend to causing bad problems in police forces that assume hiring vets is always a great move.

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2016, 01:03:52 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 08, 2016, 01:01:50 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2016, 12:57:35 AM
On of the officers killed was a DART offcer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Area_Rapid_Transit

Yes we know this buddy

It was a response to Otto. DART officers aren't exactly paramilitary badasses.

So you assume they are what? Neither are regular patrol officers.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

OttoVonBismarck

I'm hearing three in custody and the fourth guy STILL holed up in the parking garage. I wouldn't be shocked if some of those in custody weren't involved. Several BLM protesters were open carrying rifles and wearing varying types of camo/fatigues/tactical clothing and it wouldn't shock me if some of those guys are going to spend some time in custody before being verified as uninvolved.

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on July 08, 2016, 12:43:56 AM
Otto, the speculation was that this was some very non-front line type cop who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

All it takes is losing situational awareness briefly. The cop never saw it coming until it was too late. Who knows, he could have went "black". It happens even to very experienced officers.

OttoVonBismarck

I'm also not 100% sure how I feel about news disseminating that video. I mean it's a police officer being murdered. I understand it's a story of significant public interest and it isn't really graphic, but I dunno, I feel like that shit should be relegated to sketchy streaming sites not being rebroadcast on a mainstream news network's twitter.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Malicious Intent

Reports of flash bangs being used. Maybe they take the shooter down now.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2016, 06:10:06 AM
and I wondered why cops were so scared.

This isn't Pookie and Ray Ray at a random traffic stop.  This is very different.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on July 08, 2016, 12:33:06 AM
https://twitter.com/seguifox13/status/751278909895745537
(warning, this video shows a cop getting shot probably dead)

seems like pretty advanced moves by the shooter

They're saying that was an "assault"-style weapon.  By the sparking off the concrete, looked to me like a semi-automatic shotgun.  Not that it matters.