The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Local affiliates, through police sources are saying 3-6 officers.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: Kleves on July 07, 2016, 09:26:38 PM
Philando's girlfriend seems remarkably calm in that video. I don't mean to imply anything; it is just shocking to me how calm she seems.

I was going to say the exact same thing but I'd have had people all over my ass about it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Zoupa on July 07, 2016, 10:05:19 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 07, 2016, 09:15:05 PM
Two cops shot in Dallas near a protest march. Here we go.

It was bound to happen.

That's all you have to say?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

DART reporting 1 killed, 3 wounded

DPD no report other than several wounded.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

derspiess

Saw the DPD cuffing and taking away a guy dressed in camo pants on Fox News.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 07, 2016, 12:34:28 PM
From a far-back observer's perspective I've felt this for a long time. Do you really think this is the case? And/or do you think it's a problem and we should go back to cops being a little more understanding that they get the guns and the toys and the car but they also accept greater responsibility and less physical safety than Average Joe?

I think it is the primary driver in law enforcement culture the last 25 years.  And it has completely poisoned an entire generation.  When I graduated in 1993, there were still cops on the force--not just leadership, but in the academy and on the street--that had been around since the mid- and late-60's, early-70's.  The training, the organization, the culture--certainly not without its problems--had all been predicated on the foundations of the Warren and Burger courts and even, to a lesser extent, the Church Committee.  Before zero tolerance, before Everybody and Their Grandmother's Federal Multi Jurisdictional Evil Doers Task Forces, before 9/11.  You learned your neighborhood.  You patrolled your sector, you didn't pacify it.

But at least there was an emphasis on continuum of force, the expectation that you may actually have to--gasp--put your hands on somebody, that the Glock was the last resort.  Not anymore.  We had a Sergeant Hoover--had the profile of Johnny Unitas if he had been an aircraft carrier, same buzzcut since Eisenhower--man, if you pulled your weapon without the very immediate intention of using it against a specific and identifiable threat, he would've shoved it up your ass.  I'm sure all you military types can appreciate the value of career NCOs, so imagine if they just disappeared in the military like they have in law enforcement--the ones that did staff review on your statement of charges. made sure your paperwork was straight or you didn't leave, that would show up on the scene and sort out the bullshit right quick, that made sure you had your witnesses ready to roll for court, that were constantly reinforcing your training and did your service evaluations--they're all gone.  Sergeants do payroll.  It's the rank you aspire to for specialized units like K9, tactical, detective. They become adjutants for desk brass.  They go to computer camp to fuck up forensics investigations anyway.  It's not about leadership on the street or in the community. 

But the "us versus them" mentality, that you're at war with your community, "OMG they're armed better than we are", "come home alive at the end of the day" by any means necessary? It's bullshit.  And I would say it really began on March 3, 1991, and has only gotten worse.  Police unions are stronger.  It's harder to fire fuck-ups.  It's easier for them to bounce from department to department. Recruitment, training and more importantly, front-line supervision has gone to total shit.  And believe me, it's a lot more difficult to speak up about things than people think. 

Still one of the best pieces in recent years on this mentality and needs for change--
I understood the risks of war when I enlisted as an infantryman. Police officers should understand the risks in their jobs when they enroll in the academy, as well. That means knowing that personal safety can't always come first. That is why it's service. That's why it's sacrifice.

derspiess

Just heard 10 police officers were shot by shooters from "elevated sniper positions" and that 3 officers were dead.

11B4V

DPD 2 killed,
DART 1 killed

5 wounded

Ambush from elevated position.

One suspect down, one contained

citizen k

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Philando's girlfriend seems remarkably calm in that video. I don't mean to imply anything; it is just shocking to me how calm she seems.

You know that whole "the black experience with law enforcement is different than the white experience" thingy that, whenever it's mentioned, some people just roll their eyes and "Oh, here we go again with those darkies and their complaining"?  Well, that's it right there.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2016, 10:39:51 PM

You know that whole "the black experience with law enforcement is different than the white experience" thingy that, whenever it's mentioned, some people just roll their eyes and "Oh, here we go again with those darkies and their complaining"?  Well, that's it right there.

I seem to remember you telling us how the "dazzling urbanites" (back when you used that term rather liberally) acted all animated whenever shit was going down.  Interesting how you've transitioned.

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on July 07, 2016, 10:44:06 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2016, 10:39:51 PM

I seem to remember you telling us how the "dazzling urbanites" (back when you used that term rather liberally) acted all animated whenever shit was going down.  Interesting how you've transitioned.

Different groups I thought.

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on July 07, 2016, 10:05:19 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 07, 2016, 09:15:05 PM
Two cops shot in Dallas near a protest march. Here we go.

It was bound to happen.

Well that will harden everybody's position real nice.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."