The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DGuller on January 28, 2016, 09:28:00 AM
Another problem is our aversion to having federal standards.  Germany can mandate that all police officers train for 1.5 years, but US cannot, at least not without all the usual paranoia that goes with everything that has "federal" in it.  So pretty much every locality is free to choose whether they want an old geezer insurance executive to go out and play with a gun in exchange for a donation, and it doesn't take many bad apple departments to give all the cops in US a bad name.  And even if some departments do set high standards, like many state police divisions, you're just pushing the bad apples over to some department with lower standards.

Why is there always an assumption (regardless of the subject) that Federal standards will necessarily be better standards?

Valmy

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 29, 2016, 04:01:59 PM

Why is there always an assumption (regardless of the subject) that Federal standards will necessarily be better standards?

I don't think it is that so much as dealing with one standard is much more efficient than dealing with 51 different standards. I mean in my wife's company there is a huge segment of the company whose entire function is to sort through 51 different sets of regulations.

But we pride ourselves on our bureaucracy and inefficiency. That gives everything a certain comforting inertia so no tyrannical leader can execute his or her evil plan very quickly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 29, 2016, 04:01:59 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 28, 2016, 09:28:00 AM
Another problem is our aversion to having federal standards.  Germany can mandate that all police officers train for 1.5 years, but US cannot, at least not without all the usual paranoia that goes with everything that has "federal" in it.  So pretty much every locality is free to choose whether they want an old geezer insurance executive to go out and play with a gun in exchange for a donation, and it doesn't take many bad apple departments to give all the cops in US a bad name.  And even if some departments do set high standards, like many state police divisions, you're just pushing the bad apples over to some department with lower standards.

Because they usually are.  Especially on average.  Truly especially at improving worst-case outcomes.

MadImmortalMan

"Federal Standards" is usually taken as a codeword for "keep the ignorant hicks under control".

But I guess our 51 standard system sort of works. It could be worse. My wife is in the next room right now trying to sort through European VAT regulations.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 29, 2016, 04:14:34 PM
My wife is in the next room right now trying to sort through European VAT regulations.

My condolences. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2016, 10:20:43 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 28, 2016, 08:42:07 PM
You can only teach so much. If the cop has a fucked attitude, badge heavy, socially retarded, God complex, arrogant, lack of respect for the populace...etc, no amount of training will fix it. He just doesn't need to be a cop. They do have their uses, however.

As an 11B4V?

Nice  :(

No, I'm pretty good at gab, sorry to disappoint.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on January 29, 2016, 05:15:48 PM
You can only teach so much. If the cop has a fucked attitude, badge heavy, socially retarded, God complex, arrogant, lack of respect for the populace...etc, no amount of training will fix it. He just doesn't need to be a cop. They do have their uses, however.

As an 11B4V?

11B4V, Grumbler was projecting and only highlighting is own weaknesses.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on January 29, 2016, 05:23:05 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 29, 2016, 05:15:48 PM

As an 11B4V?

11B4V, Grumbler was projecting and only highlighting is own weaknesses.

He hurt my feelings. Hope it wasn't because I hate that steaming pile of poo,Babylon 5.  :lmfao:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Oh, come on, B5 isn't that bad.  Yes, in hindsight, what passed of as deep now looks as complicated as a child's cartoon, but it wasn't bad at all for its time.

Razgovory

Is it really so hard to believe that a guy named B4 is jealous of B5?  That's like a whole nother "B".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 29, 2016, 09:06:49 PM
Is it really so hard to believe that a guy named B4 is jealous of B5?  That's like a whole nother "B".

:yes:

Ed Anger

Bester violated everybody's rights. My hero. :wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have reached the conclusion that the police should shoot everybody but me.  Then they all kill themselves.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on January 30, 2016, 11:33:32 PM
I have reached the conclusion that the police should shoot everybody but me.  Then they all kill themselves.

Why do you wish to be punished like that?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/01/27/chicago-police-officer-in-fatal-shooting-of-quintonio-legrier-bettie-jones-files-suit-against-teens-estate/

QuoteChicago Police Officer In Fatal Shooting Of Quintonio LeGrier, Bettie Jones To File Suit Against Teen's Estate

(CBS) –The Chicago Police officer accused of killing 19-year-old Quintonio LeGrier is suing the teen's estate.

CBS 2's Suzanne Le Mignot has the latest developments.

City attorneys were tight lipped leaving the status hearing in the cases of Quintonio LeGrier and Bettie Jones vs. the city of Chicago, but the attorney for the family of Bettie Jones, Larry Rogers, Jr., is talking.

"We've tried to reiterate at every hearing, that we will resist and object to the entry of any protective order, over what we think is the public's information," Rogers said.

So far, Larry Rogers says he's received 43 dash cam videos, mostly showing the scene aftermath. He's also seeking other videos from the area, text messages between Officer Robert Rialmo and his partner from that night and the release of IPRA's file on the case within 45 days.

Jones was shot accidentally by Chicago Police Officer Robert Rialmo. Rialmo was responding to a domestic disturbance involving 19 year-old Quintonio LeGrier, who was also shot and killed by the officer. On that night, LeGrier called 911 three times before police arrived.

Rogers says he's now requesting the names and titles of the dispatchers who took LeGrier's calls.

"For them to hang up on him, we want to know what that call taker was thinking," Rogers said. "How could she possibly think that was the proper way to handle someone who was in need of police assistance?"

Meantime, the attorney for Officer Robert Rialmo, Joel Brodsky, says he'll be filing a counter claim against the estate of Quintonio LeGrier, because LeGrier, attacked the officer. The suit will be filed on the grounds of assault and emotional distress.

LeGrier family attorney, Bill Foutris, calls the move a desperate and baseless attempt to deflect attention from the fact Rialmo shot LeGrier four times in the back without justification.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.