The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Didn't know the thing about how little training our cops get compared to those in Europe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

It seems like the most important thing they would need to know--how to de-escalate a violent situation--they spend less than one day on that in the police academy.

I learned more about it watching Andy Griffith.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

11B4V

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2016, 05:43:42 PM
It seems like the most important thing they would need to know--how to de-escalate a violent situation--they spend less than one day on that in the police academy.
You can only teach so much. If the cop has a fucked attitude, badge heavy, socially retarded, God complex, arrogant, lack of respect for the populace...etc, no amount of training will fix it. He just doesn't need to be a cop. They do have their uses, however.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Back when I was around 18, and had my career sights on being a police officer, I attended a "community police academy" for my hometown (basically a night per week over several weeks, teaching about they do policing...and fun stuff like getting pepper sprayed).  Part of that program was going on a ride along...distinctly memorable experience.  :P

The officer I rode with essentially cursed at every person/vehicle that so much as slightly crossed his path (e.g., if he had to slow down for someone in a crosswalk, he spouted a stream of obscenties...not directly to the person, just to himself/the universe), road-raged/pursued...but did not pull over someone on the freeway he apparently took a momentary dislike to.  And while doing a blood run (which seemed to take nearly an hour at the local blood bank)...spent most of that time hitting on the nurse/receptionist there, while I waited around bored out of my mind.

The ride-along concluded with him asking me "hey, please don't tell anyone about all this, ok?"  :lol:

Eddie Teach

Moral of the Story: Tonitrus will only keep your secrets for a maximum of 20 years.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 28, 2016, 08:54:19 PM
Moral of the Story: Tonitrus will only keep your secrets for a maximum of 20 years.

Which means he is probably retired by now anyway.   :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 28, 2016, 05:16:29 PM
Didn't know the thing about how little training our cops get compared to those in Europe.

Maybe there's an occasional Maryberry R.F.D. out there that runs a correspondence course for 10 weeks at its own liability peril, but in the age of accreditation the majority of academies require substantially more time, and can depend on mandatory state requirements, CALEA certification and the type of agency.

QuoteOverall, an estimated 57,000 recruits entered basic training programs during 2005. On average these programs included 761 hours of classroom training. A third of academies had an additional mandatory field training component with an average length of 453 hours.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/slleta06.pdf

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 28, 2016, 08:42:07 PM
You can only teach so much. If the cop has a fucked attitude, badge heavy, socially retarded, God complex, arrogant, lack of respect for the populace...etc, no amount of training will fix it. He just doesn't need to be a cop. They do have their uses, however.

That's hiring and supervision, the other 2/3rds of the problem.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 28, 2016, 08:52:07 PM
Back when I was around 18, and had my career sights on being a police officer, I attended a "community police academy" for my hometown (basically a night per week over several weeks, teaching about they do policing...and fun stuff like getting pepper sprayed).  Part of that program was going on a ride along...distinctly memorable experience.  :P

The officer I rode with essentially cursed at every person/vehicle that so much as slightly crossed his path (e.g., if he had to slow down for someone in a crosswalk, he spouted a stream of obscenties...not directly to the person, just to himself/the universe), road-raged/pursued...but did not pull over someone on the freeway he apparently took a momentary dislike to.  And while doing a blood run (which seemed to take nearly an hour at the local blood bank)...spent most of that time hitting on the nurse/receptionist there, while I waited around bored out of my mind.

The ride-along concluded with him asking me "hey, please don't tell anyone about all this, ok?"  :lol:

Heh; IN MY DAY the only officers that were allowed to participate in the Ride-Along program were also in the FTO program. 

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2016, 09:41:47 PM

That's hiring and supervision, the other 2/3rds of the problem.

Disagree. Hiring/supervision/union The other 3/4 of the problem.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 28, 2016, 09:58:14 PM

Considering how joining the union is a condition of employment IN REAL POLICE DEPARTMENTS, it would fall under hiring, and therefore we're back at 2/3rds. 

You may now fuck your own face.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2016, 10:03:24 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 28, 2016, 09:58:14 PM

Considering how joining the union is a condition of employment IN REAL POLICE DEPARTMENTS, it would fall under hiring, and therefore we're back at 2/3rds. 

You may now fuck your own face.
Still disagree
Post entry closed shop eh? Hopefully that will get crushed. So fuck a duck :nelson:

Advantage Fed's .

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 28, 2016, 08:54:19 PM

Shit. I got like fifteen left.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Interesting. Did you tell him what happened in Thailand? :shifty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

As an 11B4V?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!