The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Slate is no worse than 90% of the article-publishing websites out there. Certainly better than the crap on Yahoo(which somehow is the first page when I open my browser, in spite of having set my home page to google  <_<).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Disagree. Slate is mostly homegrown piss poor editorials. Yahoo news is mostly an aggregator of news from other sources (though they do have some content generation too).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I loathe the clickbait Yahoo front page so much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2015, 12:51:11 AM
Are you saying only angry white men can go on shooting rampages? That's discriminating! Check your privilege!

I have to say when I heard it was a dude I just assumed it was angry white man again. My bigotry knows no end.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2015, 08:31:44 AM

Yeah it used to be my go-to but I abandoned it a couple years ago. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

There's something seriously wrong with people who want to watch snuff films. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

You want clickbait? A German site had front page articles along the lines of, "One of these 4 TV presenters has cancer - click here to find out who!" Several times.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on August 28, 2015, 08:53:37 AM
There's something seriously wrong with people who want to watch snuff films. :wacko:

LOL that's an understatement of the hour.

Caliga

It seems like a no-brainer but a couple of FB friends of mine actually watched it and then were like "that was very disturbing".

Oh, you think so, Einstein  :rolleyes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 28, 2015, 08:43:11 AM

Yeah it used to be my go-to but I abandoned it a couple years ago. 

If it wasn't such a routine, I would stop. :blush: So many sponsored 'articles' throughout.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Seems an inherent part of human nature. Same reason why traffic slows in the opposite side of the highway from a serious accident - rubberneckers want to see the carnage.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on August 28, 2015, 10:39:10 AM

Seems an inherent part of human nature. Same reason why traffic slows in the opposite side of the highway from a serious accident - rubberneckers want to see the carnage.

I don't. I get physically ill even when I think about this shit too much. Would never watch a snuff film.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 28, 2015, 10:17:45 AM
So many sponsored 'articles' throughout.

When they were easier to ignore it wasn't an issue.  But they look just enough like real articles to trick me into briefly paying attention to them.  And that's just irritating.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.