The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/08/cops-probe-womans-vagina-in-search-of-weed.html?mid=facebook_nymag

QuoteCops Probe Woman's Vagina in Search of Weed

A Spring, Texas, woman has gone public with her story of having her vagina forcibly searched by cops when they claimed that they could smell weed in her car. Charnesia Corley, a 21-year-old African-American woman, had allegedly run through a stop sign when a Harris County patrol car pulled her over on June 21. When a deputy officer claimed he smelled weed in Corley's car, he handcuffed her and put her in the back of the patrol car while they searched her vehicle. The officer found nothing in the car.

However, upon returning to the patrol car, the deputy officer claimed he smelled the weed in his car now, and that he'd have to call a female officer in to search Corley's body for weed. From KTRK:

"She tells me to pull my pants down. I said, 'Ma'am, I don't have any underwear on.' She says, 'Well, that doesn't matter. Pull your pants down,'" Corley said.

She admits hesitating. Deputies say she resisted.

"I bend over and she proceeds to try to force her hand inside of me. I tell her, 'Ma'am, No. You cannot do this,'" Corley told us candidly.

Because the probe took place in a public parking lot and because Corley says that she did not give her consent, Corley's lawyer says that the search was "unconstitutional" and she is filing a complaint with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. Corley told KTRK, "I feel like they sexually assaulted me! I really do. I feel disgusted, downgraded, humiliated."

A spokesperson for the Harris County Sheriff's Office, Thomas Gilliland, says that both officers did everything as they should have.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on August 11, 2015, 10:14:37 AM
http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/08/cops-probe-womans-vagina-in-search-of-weed.html?mid=facebook_nymag

QuoteCops Probe Woman's Vagina in Search of Weed

A Spring, Texas, woman has gone public with her story of having her vagina forcibly searched by cops when they claimed that they could smell weed in her car. Charnesia Corley, a 21-year-old African-American woman, had allegedly run through a stop sign when a Harris County patrol car pulled her over on June 21. When a deputy officer claimed he smelled weed in Corley's car, he handcuffed her and put her in the back of the patrol car while they searched her vehicle. The officer found nothing in the car.

However, upon returning to the patrol car, the deputy officer claimed he smelled the weed in his car now, and that he'd have to call a female officer in to search Corley's body for weed. From KTRK:

"She tells me to pull my pants down. I said, 'Ma'am, I don't have any underwear on.' She says, 'Well, that doesn't matter. Pull your pants down,'" Corley said.

She admits hesitating. Deputies say she resisted.

"I bend over and she proceeds to try to force her hand inside of me. I tell her, 'Ma'am, No. You cannot do this,'" Corley told us candidly.

Because the probe took place in a public parking lot and because Corley says that she did not give her consent, Corley's lawyer says that the search was "unconstitutional" and she is filing a complaint with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. Corley told KTRK, "I feel like they sexually assaulted me! I really do. I feel disgusted, downgraded, humiliated."

A spokesperson for the Harris County Sheriff's Office, Thomas Gilliland, says that both officers did everything as they should have.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Do cops not ever get a memo or training or something along the lines of "Just because you *can* do something does not mean you MUST do something. Sometimes it is ok to just let it go..."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on July 29, 2015, 11:51:12 PM
Do you have anything substantive to say?  I mean, in this particular incident, we have cops falsifying their reports.  In the South Carolina case, we have at least one cop on tape participating in the cover-up.  We also appear to have very few cases of murders by cops brought to light due to the testimony of their collegues rather than due to videos that surface.  Do you have anything to say about that, or are you going to continue with your Pat Lynch schtick?
Speaking anecdotally, there seems to be a fairly significant difference in police culture between Canada and the US that may be contributing to the disconnect. I would have responded similarly to how BB does before I moved here.

Valmy

It is frustrating to me how the Black Lives Matter crowd has decided to package police reform with radical leftwing programs of all stripes to the point of going after Bernie Sanders as some kind of oppressor. No we do not have to break down all of society just to reform the police departments. Talk about marginalizing yourself and undermining your cause. They cannot get any sort of political traction this way unless their plan is to act as a revolutionary vanguard.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2015, 12:18:19 PM
It is frustrating to me how the Black Lives Matter crowd has decided to package police reform with radical leftwing programs of all stripes to the point of going after Bernie Sanders as some kind of oppressor. No we do not have to break down all of society just to reform the policy departments. Talk about marginalizing yourself. They cannot get any sort of political traction this was unless their plan is to act as a revolutionary vanguard.
That always happens.  At first the Tea Party was only about not doing the bailouts, then before you know it all of the Christian right wingers were in it pushing their idiotic agenda, too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

The shouting Bernie Sanders off the stage thing is bizarre, yet given that they had already tried to do it, not surprising.  Also kinda funny.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

If you're actually stoned while driving and white, in Iowa, you're luckier:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/drunk/iowa-dui-selfie-786501

QuoteAUGUST 7--After being taken into custody for driving while under the influence of marijuana, a 20-year-old Iowa man asked his arresting

officer to pose with him for a Snapchat "selfie," a request that the cop "happily obliged," according to a criminal complaint.

Gilbert Phelps was behind the wheel of a 2000 Toyota Camry around 2 AM yesterday when the vehicle was pulled over for speeding and having an obstructed registration sticker.

During his questioning of Phelps, Iowa City Police Department Officer Ben Hektoen detected the odor of "ingested alcohol" inside the car. Hektoen reported that Phelps copped to "smoking marijuana prior to driving," adding that the suspect displayed "measurable impairment" during a series of field sobriety tests.

After a Breathalyzer test registered a .0 blood alcohol content, Phelps was examined by a "certified Drug Recognition Expert" who concluded that Phelps was "under the influence of cannabis and was unsafe to operate a motor vehicle."

While Phelps was being tested, Hektoen noted, "the defendant requested to take a SnapChat selfie with me to which I happily obliged." That selfie, seen above, shows a beaming Phelps in the foreground, while Hektoen gives the camera a thumbs-up sign.

The officer added that Phelps told him he "captioned the photo using emoji icons showing a police car, next to a passenger car, next to a tow truck."

Phelps posed later for a second photo (seen at left) that was snapped by a jail employee.

Phelps was charged with operating while under the influence, a misdemeanor. Free on bond, he is scheduled for an August 17 preliminary hearing in District Court. (1 page)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2015, 12:28:01 PM
The shouting Bernie Sanders off the stage thing is bizarre, yet given that they had already tried to do it, not surprising.  Also kinda funny.

Oh it is funny no doubt. They are insane. It is more outrageous to them when a commie is not commie enough than if somebody is a non-commie. Radicals going to radical.

But frustrating since, in theory, they should be a productive force in a movement I support.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 11, 2015, 12:31:29 PM
If you're actually stoned while driving and white, in Iowa, you're luckier:

Well that is a completely different department in a completely different state with a completely different culture. Spring Texas is not Iowa. Apples should be compared to apples.

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on August 11, 2015, 12:17:12 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 29, 2015, 11:51:12 PM
Do you have anything substantive to say?  I mean, in this particular incident, we have cops falsifying their reports.  In the South Carolina case, we have at least one cop on tape participating in the cover-up.  We also appear to have very few cases of murders by cops brought to light due to the testimony of their collegues rather than due to videos that surface.  Do you have anything to say about that, or are you going to continue with your Pat Lynch schtick?
Speaking anecdotally, there seems to be a fairly significant difference in police culture between Canada and the US that may be contributing to the disconnect. I would have responded similarly to how BB does before I moved here.

Yup. Canadian cops have a generally higher level of public trust among a broader section of the public than in the US (at least, going by what I read here and elsewhere). Not that there haven't been incidents of police misbehaviour here, but they are seen by most people as untypical.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Caliga on August 11, 2015, 12:19:42 PM
At first the Tea Party was only about not doing the bailouts

THANK YOU.  I've been jumped on several times for pointing this out.  I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who knows it.