The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

There doesn't appear to be any hard evidence that he didn't.

Admiral Yi

The evidence that he was is the statement of the officers.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 13, 2015, 11:28:41 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 13, 2015, 09:14:16 PM
Good to go.
What's good to go? :unsure:

No evidence. Innocent till proven guilty. Maybe if the were wearing body cams we would know.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

We do have some video, cop just pulls up and instantly opens fire.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 14, 2015, 12:36:42 AM
So, you can say definitively that they didn't tell the kid to put his hands up.

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on June 14, 2015, 12:40:22 AM

Whether they did or not doesn't really matter, from what I can tell.

PUTYOURHANDSUPBANGBANGBANG

doesn't really excuse them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Kind of reminds me of the South Park episode where they go hunting and have to yell "They're coming right for us!" before they blow the animals away.

0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on June 14, 2015, 12:40:22 AM

That's not a legal requirement to ascertain guilt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on June 14, 2015, 09:29:12 AM

If they're story is they started yelling at the kid after they came to a stop they're fucked.

If they're saying they were yelling it as they were driving up, it looks a little more reasonable.

Razgovory

Yelling things inside a moving police car while the siren is running is not an effective way to transmit a message.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 14, 2015, 02:30:41 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 14, 2015, 09:29:12 AM

If they're story is they started yelling at the kid after they came to a stop they're fucked.

If they're saying they were yelling it as they were driving up, it looks a little more reasonable.

It moves it from silly unreasonable to just unreasonable.

0 rows returned

Berkut

What sucks about this case is that it is one of those cases that illustrates a pretty basic problem in policing. The gap between "Can I justify shooting this person?" and "Must I shoot this person?"

I am pretty sure the cop thought he was driving up on some 20something gang banger with a gun, and was all jacked up about being in a situation where he can justifiably use his weapon and be a hero saving the people from some clearly dangerous guy.

What bothers me is that his actions, if they are in fact wrong, are just as wrong whether the person he is blowing away is what he thinks he is, or if the person he is blowing away is a 12 year old with a pellet gun.

If it was a 28 year gang member with a criminal record holding an illegally obtained 9mm, there would be no visibility to this - yet the basic problem would still remain. The police are the ones who created a "crisis" moment where their lives were presumably at risk - they did not have to drive right up on the guy at short range. There were lots of ways to approach that situation that they could have taken, and they *chose* to take the one that mean that the presumed bad guy had moments to react perfectly in order to not be gunned down.

They can claim that they felt their lives were threatened and hence they had to kill him - that is like me claiming that I had to shoot that tiger in the zoo, because once I climbed into his pen and poked him with that stick, he was surely going to be pissed off.

0 rows returned