The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 13, 2015, 05:00:10 PM
Do tasers really feel so similar to firearms that this mistake is plausible? :yeahright:

It may to a 73 year old insurance agent.

Habbaku

Quote from: sbr on April 13, 2015, 05:30:50 PM
Do tasers really feel so similar to firearms that this mistake is plausible? :yeahright:

:contract:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Habbaku

Just as various states have "state defense forces" that allow people to play chocolate soldier every few weekends and wear a bullshit uniform, so do a large number of departments allow hangers-on and supporters to strut around as deputies for a bit.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on April 13, 2015, 07:34:56 PM
Quote from: sbr on April 13, 2015, 05:30:50 PM

:contract:
I didn't realize you were a 73 year old insurance agent. My condolences. -_-
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Tulsa does not have alot of quality people to pick from.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2015, 11:13:42 AM
Do the States not have the power to regulate such things?

Maybe.

I mean sure, the powers of each state is theoretically extensive. Each state has its own constitution that separates the powers between local and state agencies.  In frontier-ish states like Okieland they tend to reserve lots of power for local government.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadImmortalMan

I heard on the radio news this morning that the guy *bought* his position as a deputy. I don't know how that works, but if someone wants that bad enough to pay for it he should probably be refused.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2015, 11:46:04 AM
I heard on the radio news this morning that the guy *bought* his position as a deputy. I don't know how that works, but if someone wants that bad enough to pay for it he should probably be refused.

I know local governments are hard up for cash but venal offices seems a bit extreme. But maybe that deputy position comes with ennoblement.

Grey Fox

73 year old is too old to hold any kind of position of power.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.