The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2015, 10:22:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2015, 10:07:26 AM
Seems he had unpaid alimonies, which is a jail-time offense in that state.

FYI, alimony is a little different than child support, and you don't pluralize it.

I am not sure any of this information will be relevant to Martinus for any purpose.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2015, 12:35:19 PM

FYI, alimony is a little different than child support, and you don't pluralize it.

I am not sure any of this information will be relevant to Martinus for any purpose.
You don't pluralize palimony, either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 08, 2015, 02:27:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2015, 12:35:19 PM

You don't pluralize palimony, either.

I have to admit, that was pretty good.

Zanza

Just read that the North Charlestown officer had just nine weeks of training. Average in the US is 18 weeks, NYC for example has 28 weeks.
Even that seems short to me from my Euro perspective. Two friends of mine are police officers and their training phase was 2.5 to 3 years. Not sure if it's always that long, but I am sure it's always more than a year here.
That leaves me wondering if the officer in North Charlestown was qualified for his job.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on April 09, 2015, 12:30:59 AM

That leaves me wondering if the officer in North Charlestown was qualified for his job.

Signs are beginning to mount that he may not have been.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on April 09, 2015, 12:30:59 AM
Just read that the North Charlestown officer had just nine weeks of training. Average in the US is 18 weeks, NYC for example has 28 weeks.
Even that seems short to me from my Euro perspective. Two friends of mine are police officers and their training phase was 2.5 to 3 years. Not sure if it's always that long, but I am sure it's always more than a year here.

I think that you are mixing a few things here.  Training isn't the same thing as probation; I can be pretty sure that your friends were not in training (i.e. at an academy and unavailable for police work) for 2.5 to 3 years.  That's featherbedding far beyond what even Euros would tolerate.  I'm pretty sure that they meant that they were in training and on probation as police for 2.5 to 3 years.  That's pretty typical in the US as well; LAPD officers have 6 months of training and 2 years as probationary officers.

This officer in North Charleston, if he had only 9 weeks training, is, indeed, under-trained by the standards of most police departments.  However, he had five years worth of experience, so how long he was in training is totally moot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malicious Intent

No, Zanza has it correct. Training time for Police officers in Germany ranges from 2 to 3 years, with the exact duration depending on state and branch of service. Training includes - among others - courses in the relevant areas of law (like criminal, procedural, constitutional), social sciences, communication and deescalation, statistics, criminology, sports, weapon use and so on. For the higher services, an additional University degree may be demanded.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2015, 06:54:44 AM
sports? :hmm:

I presume that is some sort of fitness training. Either that or this is how they scout for the German National Team.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2015, 07:55:53 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2015, 06:54:44 AM
sports? :hmm:

I presume that is some sort of fitness training. Either that or this is how they scout for the German National Team.
hooligan patrol training is my first guess
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Malicious Intent on April 09, 2015, 06:53:22 AM
No, Zanza has it correct. Training time for Police officers in Germany ranges from 2 to 3 years, with the exact duration depending on state and branch of service. Training includes - among others - courses in the relevant areas of law (like criminal, procedural, constitutional), social sciences, communication and deescalation, statistics, criminology, sports, weapon use and so on. For the higher services, an additional University degree may be demanded.

So your claim is that German police spend two to three years in a police academy before they ever see the street?

Bayraktar!