The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Wonder why the dude was running from the po-po?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

citizen k

Vineland Police Allow Dog to Maul Black Man Phillip White to Death - New Jersey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lonwenKVEv0

citizen k

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/04/07/anonymous-threatens-vineland-police-over-phillip-whites-death/

One week after 32-year-old Vineland man Phillip White died in police custody, a YouTube page associated with the hacker group Anonymous has threatened to expose the officers involved with the arrest and also to reveal other details about the incident.

"On March 31st, 2015, Vineland City, New Jersey, police arrested Phillip White," says the masked person in the video. "And while handcuffed, White was brutally beaten by members of the Vineland City Police Department ... Officers kicked, punched and stomped on Phillip White until he was unconscious ... A canine officer released a dog and allowed the dog to bite Phillip in his face, head and body. This is absolute grotesque behavior ..."

The group is threatening to release the names and personal information of members of the Vineland Police Department and the Cumberland County Prosecutor's Office on an hourly basis until its demands are met. The group wants the authorities to release the names of the three police officers involved in White's arrest as well as any dashboard camera footage.

Police had been dispatched to the 100 block of Grape Street in Vineland on March 31st to respond to a call about a disorderly person. There, they encountered White, and things turned violent and ended with White dying a short time later.

Witnesses told NBC 10 that they saw police punching White and a dog biting him, and NBC 10 also obtained partial video of the incident. Attorneys for the police say that White was acting erratically and that he grabbed for one of their guns.

The demand video was published on YouTube on Monday by user AnonDad NOWsec, a relative newcomer to the Anonymous fold.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2015, 07:01:10 PM
The one thing that amazes me about most of these cop shootings is how brazen the lying by cops is.  It makes you wonder how often the justice gets completely perverted, because there is no camera around, so the cops and their partners can come up with fantastical stories that no one is around to dispute.

All the time. Cops are assholes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 08, 2015, 06:03:39 AM
The one thing that amazes me about most of these cop shootings is how brazen the lying by cops is.  It makes you wonder how often the justice gets completely perverted, because there is no camera around, so the cops and their partners can come up with fantastical stories that no one is around to dispute.

I wonder if American cops are much different than Danish/European cops. I've met a fair few through work and they've all been very nice (one was a bit incompetent though, but he was new).
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 08, 2015, 06:03:39 AM

Well, your cops are Quebecois, so, yeah, assholes.

Not all cops everywhere are Grallon, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Warspite

American cops seem to work in a much more hostile environment. Whatever the state of race relations between the Metropolitan Police here in London and the city's different communities, the police are not getting shot at. Whereas I appreciate this is rather more a risk in the US context.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

dps

Quote from: Warspite on April 08, 2015, 07:14:48 AM
American cops seem to work in a much more hostile environment. Whatever the state of race relations between the Metropolitan Police here in London and the city's different communities, the police are not getting shot at. Whereas I appreciate this is rather more a risk in the US context.

That's probably too broad a generalization.  It's certainly true in some places, but in others, being a cop is probably not statistically much more dangerous than being a file clerk.

Also, this is another issue where the relative decentralization and sheer scale of the US compared to European countries comes into play.  I don't know the exact count, but I'd guess that the US has something on the order of 50,000 police departments, plus a large number of other agencies whose officers aren't considered police per se, but who have some type of law-enforcement mission (game wardens, border guards, etc).  Some of those are 1 or 2 person departments, but some are quite large.  You get that many organizations employing that many personnel, you're going to get some assholes, regardless of the type of work.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on April 08, 2015, 09:48:34 AM
You get that many organizations employing that many personnel, you're going to get some assholes, regardless of the type of work.

True.  I have run into a bigger percentage of assholes from the phone company than from the police department.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: citizen k on April 07, 2015, 07:15:33 PM
http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/04/07/anonymous-threatens-vineland-police-over-phillip-whites-death/

One week after 32-year-old Vineland man Phillip White died in police custody, a YouTube page associated with the hacker group Anonymous has threatened to expose the officers involved with the arrest and also to reveal other details about the incident.

"On March 31st, 2015, Vineland City, New Jersey, police arrested Phillip White," says the masked person in the video. "And while handcuffed, White was brutally beaten by members of the Vineland City Police Department ... Officers kicked, punched and stomped on Phillip White until he was unconscious ... A canine officer released a dog and allowed the dog to bite Phillip in his face, head and body. This is absolute grotesque behavior ..."

The group is threatening to release the names and personal information of members of the Vineland Police Department and the Cumberland County Prosecutor's Office on an hourly basis until its demands are met. The group wants the authorities to release the names of the three police officers involved in White's arrest as well as any dashboard camera footage.

Police had been dispatched to the 100 block of Grape Street in Vineland on March 31st to respond to a call about a disorderly person. There, they encountered White, and things turned violent and ended with White dying a short time later.

Witnesses told NBC 10 that they saw police punching White and a dog biting him, and NBC 10 also obtained partial video of the incident. Attorneys for the police say that White was acting erratically and that he grabbed for one of their guns.

The demand video was published on YouTube on Monday by user AnonDad NOWsec, a relative newcomer to the Anonymous fold.

At least for once the victim was White.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on April 08, 2015, 09:52:59 AM
Quote from: dps on April 08, 2015, 09:48:34 AM
You get that many organizations employing that many personnel, you're going to get some assholes, regardless of the type of work.

True.  I have run into a bigger percentage of assholes from the phone company than from the police department.

The only difference is that phone company assholes rarely are in a position of life and death over people - so the standard can be more lax.

You are like those people who excuse the Catholic church's pedophilia scandals by saying that the percentage of pedophiles among priests working with children is not higher than among any other profession - but that is not very helpful. In certain professions you should screen out certain personality types more vigorously, whether it is insane suicidal pilots, pedophile priests and teachers or murderous asshole cops.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2015, 07:02:26 PM
Wonder why the dude was running from the po-po?

Seems he had unpaid alimonies, which is a jail-time offense in that state.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2015, 10:07:26 AM

FYI, alimony is a little different than child support, and you don't pluralize it.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2015, 10:22:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2015, 10:07:26 AM

FYI, alimony is a little different than child support, and you don't pluralize it.

Boom.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall