The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Don't you people start walking shit back on derWeiß.  :mad: Creepy ass cracka's gotta get correct, stay correct.  :mad:

Razgovory

Police arrested a suspect in the shooting.  Guy claims he was actually shooting a protester he said robbed him rather then the police.  So he's either a really good shot and a bad liar, or a terrible shot and simply stupid.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/15/us/ferguson-police-shot-arrest/index.html
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 13, 2015, 09:09:54 AM
Don't you people start walking shit back on derWeiß.  :mad: Creepy ass cracka's gotta get correct, stay correct.  :mad:

:perv:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2015, 08:18:12 PM
Police arrested a suspect in the shooting.  Guy claims he was actually shooting a protester he said robbed him rather then the police.  So he's either a really good shot and a bad liar, or a terrible shot and simply stupid.

:blink:

BTW so relieved the cops both seem like they are going to be ok.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Hitting two guys with a pistol at night at 125 yards from a car is not bad.  Maybe he should have joined the army.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2015, 10:00:16 PM
Hitting two guys with a pistol at night at 125 yards from a car is not bad.  Maybe he should have joined the army.

He'd be giviving Siege orders within a year.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Is it necessary to take someone to the ground and slam their head into the pavement when in the police's own words they're obstructing justice without force? I think not.

Perhaps we should rename this the police brutality megathread?

You can check the photo at the link
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/McAuliffe-UVa-Student-Arrest-Bloody-Face-Investigation-296789631.html
QuotePhoto Shows U.Va. Student With Bloody Face Under Arrest

Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe Wednesday called for an investigation into the arrest of a University of Virginia student shown bloody faced on the ground next to an officer in a photo that's gone viral on social media.

Charlottesville General District Court records show that 20-year-old Martese Johnson was charged with obstruction of justice without force and public swearing or intoxication, both misdemeanors.

Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control agents observed as a licensed establishment in The Corner, a social hub near the U.Va. campus, refused him entry about 12:45 a.m. Wednesday. According to ABC, the agents decided to detain Johnson after questioning him.

"Just before handcuffing him, police took Martese to the ground, striking his head on the pavement and causing him to bleed profusely from the gash on his head," said Johnson's attorneMr. Watkins said. "This morning he received ten stitches at the University of Virginia Medical Center. Fortunately, Martese's physical wounds are beginning to heal."

The agent who made the arrest, listed in court records as J. Miller, said in the arrest report that Johnson "was very agitated and belligerent."

An email to the U.Va. community signed "Concerned Black Students" claims the arrest of Johnson was unprovoked. It includes a photo of Johnson on the ground with blood covering his face and an officer kneeling next to him with his hands on Johnson.

The pictured officer's involvement in the incident is unknown at this time.

McAuliffe's office issued a statement asking state police to investigate the arrest.

"Governor McAuliffe is concerned by the reports of this incident and has asked the Secretary of Public Safety to initiate an independent Virginia State Police investigation into the use of force in this matter," the statement reads. "The Governor's office has been in contact with University of Virginia President Teresa Sullivan and local law enforcement and will continue to monitor this situation closely as the investigation proceeds."

ABC said it will provide any assistance state police need in the investigation. The special agents involved are restricted to administrative duties during the investigation.

Johnson, a third-year student, is double-majoring in Italian and media studies. He is vice chair for Community Relations of the Honor Committee, vice polemarch of the Eta Sigma chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi and a chair of the Leadership Development Committee of the Black Student Alliance.

Watkins described him as "absolutely devastated" by the incident.

A march from the Rotunda on campus to the police station was planned for 8 p.m. ET Wednesday. The hashtag #JusticeForMartese is trending on Twitter in Washington.

ABC agents in Charlottesville have been accused of heavy-handed actions in the past.

The state of Virginia reached a $212,500 settlement last year with a UVA student who was arrested after her purchase of water was mistaken for beer.

Elizabeth Daly fled in terror outside a Charlottesville supermarket in April 2013 when her vehicle was swarmed by state ABC agents who mistook her just-purchased carton of sparkling water for beer.

Daly was charged with eluding police and assaulting a police officer after her SUV grazed two of the agents. The arrest provoked a public outcry, and the charges were dropped.

Statement From Martese Johnson's Attorney:

On March 18, 2015, Charlottesville Police charged 20-year old Martese Johnson with two misdemeanors: 1) obstruction of justice without force and 2) profane swearing and/or intoxication in public. The charges were filed after a Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) officer and local police confronted Mr. Johnson near "the Corner," a popular off-campus social hub near the University of Virginia. Contrary to early police reports, Mr. Johnson has not been accused of possessing false identification.

"Just before handcuffing him, police took Martese to the ground, striking his head on the pavement and causing him to bleed profusely from the gash on his head," Mr. Watkins said. "This morning he received ten stitches at the University of Virginia Medical Center. Fortunately, Martese's physical wounds are beginning to heal."

Mr. Johnson is a third-year student at the University of Virginia, double majoring in Italian and Media Studies. He holds numerous leadership positions on grounds, including Vice Chair for Community Relations of the Honor Committee, Vice Polemarch of the Eta Sigma Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi, and a Chair of the Leadership Development Committee of the Black Student Alliance. He has no criminal record.

"As evidenced by both his academic and extracurricular achievements, Martese is a smart young man with a bright future," Mr. Watkins said. "I have spoken with him several times today, and he is absolutely devastated by yesterday's events. Currently, we are preparing to investigate and defend this matter vigorously. Please keep Martese in your prayers during this difficult time."

Mr. Johnson and his family ask that the media respect his privacy at this time and direct any further questions to his attorney, Daniel Watkins, with Williams Mullen. The investigation is still in its early stages, and Mr. Watkins and Williams Mullen are limited in what information can be shared with the media.

Virginia ABC's Complete Statement:

While monitoring licensed establishments on University Avenue in the City of Charlottesville, uniformed Virginia ABC special agents arrested a 20-year-old male early on the morning of March 18.

The individual was charged with Public Intoxication and Obstruction of Justice in an incident that occurred at approximately 12:45 a.m. on March 18 in the 1500 block of University Avenue. The uniformed ABC Agents observed and approached the individual after he was refused entry to a licensed establishment. A determination was made by the agents to further detain the individual based on their observations and further questioning.

In the course of an arrest being made, the arrested individual sustained injuries. The individual received treatment for his injuries at a local hospital and was released.

Governor McAuliffe has requested that Virginia State Police conduct an independent investigation into the circumstances of the arrest, including use of force. Virginia ABC will provide whatever information or assistance is requested by Virginia State Police.

Virginia ABC is restricting the Special Agents involved in the incident to administrative duties while the investigation is underway.

U.Va. President Teresa Sullivan sent the following email to the school community Wednesday:

Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:

I write to express my deep concern about an incident that occurred on The Corner early this morning and to provide information about immediate steps that I have taken in response.

At about 12:45 a.m., one of our students was injured while Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) agents were attempting to take him into custody on the sidewalk in front of Trinity Irish Pub. University Police and Charlottesville Police arrived on the scene shortly after the incident occurred. We have not yet clarified all of the details surrounding this event, but we are seeking to do so as quickly as possible.

This morning I met with Charlottesville Police Chief Tim Longo and University Police Chief Mike Gibson in an effort to learn more about the incident. Furthermore, because ABC is a state agency, I contacted the Governor's office to ask for an independent investigation of the incident. In response, the Governor has asked the Secretary of Public Safety to initiate an independent Virginia State Police investigation into the use of force in this matter.

As the investigation unfolds, eyewitnesses will play an essential role in shedding light on the details of this incident. I urge students and other members of our community who witnessed the incident or have other direct knowledge of it to come forward. Please contact the Virginia State Police at 804-674-2000 immediately.

The safety and security of our students will always be my primary concern, and every member of our community should feel safe from the threat of bodily harm and other forms of violence. Today, as U.Va. students, faculty, and staff who share a set of deeply held values, we stand unified in our commitment to seeking the truth about this incident. And we stand united in our belief that equal treatment and equal justice are among our fundamental rights under the law.

Teresa A. Sullivan
President
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

If he was drunk, is there any evidence that he didn't just fall down.  Drunks do that on occasion, you know.

If they did slam him to the ground, and he wasn't resisting, yeah, sounds like excessive force to me.  At the very least, it's appropriate to investigate.

Not sure that the governor needs to get personally involved, though.  Sounds like political grandstanding to me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2015, 09:45:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2015, 08:18:12 PM

:blink:

BTW so relieved the cops both seem like they are going to be ok.

Well he changed his story, saying that he only shot in the air (which I guess is technically true to a certain point).  He's claiming that his earlier stupid confession was coerced.  I image they have a camera recording his interrogation, so we'll likely see if that's true or not.

garbon

Quote from: dps on March 18, 2015, 07:59:04 PM
Not sure that the governor needs to get personally involved, though.  Sounds like political grandstanding to me.

That and/or he doesn't want to become part of the enabling 'terrible' police narrative.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

A good veto, and while his reasons are not bad ones, there were much better reasons to veto it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/arizona-governor-vetoes-bill-keep-police-names-secret-after-shootings-n332931

Arizona Governor Vetoes Bill That Would Keep Police Names Secret After Shootings

Acknowledging that he was torn "as the son of a cop," Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey vetoed a bill Monday that would have kept the names of officers who use deadly force secret for 60 days.

State senators passed the bill last week, saying it would protect officers from threats and harassment. Ducey — a Republican whose father was a 12-year veteran of the Toledo, Ohio, Police Department — wrote in a veto letter that he had strong sympathy for that position, lamenting that "in an era of social media and 24-hour news commentary, these officers and their families have been subjected to public scorn, harassment and vicious attacks."

But Ducey said the "unintended consequences" of shielding officers in such sensitive cases outweighed the benefits.

"The wrong officer's name could circulate. Speculation replaces fact. It's very easy to see news outlets running with information that is unconfirmed or erroneous, and under this proposed law, police chiefs' hands would be tied and they would have no way to respond or set the record straight," he wrote. "The result could be the exact opposite of what this bill aims to do, escalating — rather than de-escalating — the situation and potentially putting completely innocent officers' reputations and safety on the line."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

citizen k

White SC officer charged with murder for shooting black man
Associated Press By BRUCE SMITH

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — A white South Carolina police officer was charged with murder Tuesday in the weekend shooting death of a black motorist after a traffic stop.

City Patrolman Michael Thomas Slager was arrested and charged after law enforcement officials saw a video of the shooting following a Saturday traffic stop, North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey told a hastily called news conference.

Authorities say the victim, 50-year-old Walter Lamer Scott of Charleston, was shot after the officer already hit him with a stun gun. A video of the shooting released to news media outlets shows the officer firing several times at the man's back while he's running away.

Summey said at a news conference that Slager made a "bad decision."

"When you're wrong, you're wrong," Summey said. "When you make a bad decision, don't care if you're behind the shield or a citizen on the street, you have to live with that decision."

Slager's attorney had released a statement Monday saying the officer felt threatened and that the motorist was trying to grab the officer's stun gun. The attorney told The Post and Courier of Charleston on Tuesday that he no longer represents the officer.

North Charleston Police said Slager was arrested by officers of the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.

The shooting occurred as heightened scrutiny is being placed on police officer shootings, particularly those that involve white officers and unarmed black suspects. A grand jury declined to indict Ferguson, Missouri, officer Darren Wilson in the fatal shooting of Michael Brown last August, leading to nationwide protests.

In a separate case in South Carolina, a white police officer who shot a 68-year-old black man to death last year in his driveway was charged Tuesday with a felony: discharging a gun into an occupied vehicle. A prosecutor previously tried to indict North Augusta officer Justin Craven on a manslaughter charge in the February 2014 death of Ernest Satterwhite. But a grand jury instead chose misconduct in office, which is a far lesser charge.

Craven chased Satterwhite for 9 miles beyond city limits to the man's driveway in Edgefield County. After Satterwhite parked, the officer repeatedly fired through the driver-side door, prosecutors said. The 25-year-old officer faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted of the gun charge.

jimmy olsen

The sooner all police are camera'd up, the better.

EDIT: Fucking ninjad! <_<
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/07/us/south-carolina-officer-charged-murder/

QuoteSouth Carolina police officer charged with murder

By Dana Ford, CNN

Updated 0044 GMT (0744 HKT) April 8, 2015

(CNN)—A South Carolina officer has been charged with murder after a video surfaced that appears to show him shooting an unarmed man who was running away.

Michael Slager, an officer with the North Charleston Police Department, was arrested Tuesday, according to a statement from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, or SLED. If found guilty of murder, he could face up to life in prison or death.

The shooting took place Saturday after a traffic stop, SLED said. Video obtained by The New York Times shows what happened.

A black man breaks away from the white officer. Something falls, and the officer fires eight shots at the man as he runs away. The man, who appears to be unarmed, drops to the ground.

"I can tell you that as the result of that video and the bad decision made by our officer, he will be charged with murder," North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey told reporters Tuesday. "When you're wrong, you're wrong. And if you make a bad decision -- don't care if you're behind the shield or just a citizen on the street -- you have to live by that decision."

CNN affiliate WCIV identified the victim as 50-year-old Walter Scott. His family spoke to WCIV over the weekend, before the officer was arrested, describing Scott as a good man who was about to be married.

"All we want is the truth, and we'll go any length to get that so that my brother can rest in peace," Anthony Scott told the affiliate.

According to WCIV, Slager initially said through his attorney, David Aylor, that he followed the appropriate policies and procedures. Aylor later told CNN that he no longer represents the officer, and it was unclear whether Slager had obtained new representation.

The Justice Department released a statement Tuesday saying it would "take appropriate action in light of the evidence and developments in the state case."

"The South Carolina Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation has opened an investigation concurrent with the S.C. Law Enforcement Division and are providing aid as necessary to the state investigation. The Department of Justice Civil Rights Division and the South Carolina U.S. Attorney's Office will work with the FBI in the investigation," it read.

North Charleston Police Chief Eddie Driggers, who spoke to CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront," described the shooting as tragic.

He said the incident began when the officer stopped Scott for driving with a brake light being out.

When asked whether he thought race played a role in what happened, Driggers did not rule it out.

"I want to believe in my heart of hearts that it was a tragic set of events after a traffic stop," Driggers said. "I always look for the good in folks, and so I would hope that nobody would ever do something like that."

CNN's Chandler Friedman and Evan Perez contributed to this report.

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

The one thing that amazes me about most of these cop shootings is how brazen the lying by cops is.  It makes you wonder how often the justice gets completely perverted, because there is no camera around, so the cops and their partners can come up with fantastical stories that no one is around to dispute.