The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 12, 2015, 03:06:10 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 12, 2015, 02:48:09 PM
As with most things, it's not the destination that counts, it's the journey. You may end up with a reactionary dictatorship, but you can guillotine a bunch of derspiesses on the way.  :cool:

There are more obvious targets, like yourself, Minsky, Lemonjello, Malthus, Caliga and Mono. :contract:

Well he has got you there Marty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2015, 02:48:17 PM
What does that have to do with St. Louis annexing Ferguson.  Assuming both parties agree, of course.

Because I don't think St. Louis can take territory from a county.  It should be noted that I don't think that Ferguson actually borders the city.  And really, what's in it for St. Louis?  I also don't think you appreciate how long and difficult it is for for a city to annex an area.  Jefferson City has been trying to annex a small strip of land for 20 years.  And lastly the people in Ferguson live up there so they don't have to live in the city.  The whole St. Louis metro area is a fucking mess.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 12, 2015, 03:06:10 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 12, 2015, 02:48:09 PM
As with most things, it's not the destination that counts, it's the journey. You may end up with a reactionary dictatorship, but you can guillotine a bunch of derspiesses on the way.  :cool:

There are more obvious targets, like yourself, Minsky, Lemonjello, Malthus, Caliga and Mono. :contract:

I would be one of those aristocrats that join the revolution. :P

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 12, 2015, 03:16:46 PM
Because I don't think St. Louis can take territory from a county.  It should be noted that I don't think that Ferguson actually borders the city.  And really, what's in it for St. Louis?  I also don't think you appreciate how long and difficult it is for for a city to annex an area.  Jefferson City has been trying to annex a small strip of land for 20 years.  And lastly the people in Ferguson live up there so they don't have to live in the city.  The whole St. Louis metro area is a fucking mess.

Ah.  For some reason I thought Ferguson was totally surrounded by the city limit border of St. Louis.  Looking at a map, the official city limit is way smaller than I thought it was.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

I see no reason the state government couldn't merge the cities.

I mean, if it isn't viable on it's own, then economies of scale and all that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

lustindarkness

Would nuking it from orbit be a good option?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2015, 04:01:15 PM
No. There is another.

Do you really think giving the mole people nukes is a good idea?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Razgovory on March 12, 2015, 02:23:18 PM
Dallas is a fairly large city with a large tax base.  Ferguson is not.  Also what is the cap that the a Texas city can get from speeding tickets?

Multiple disjoint points:

Not sure what you include in "tax base", but Dallas only gets about 43% of its budget from property taxes.  Also, Dallas may have a large tax base, but they also have large expenses that Ferguson does not because of the size of the city.

In general, the cost of city services scales with physical size and population.  The ratio of population to sworn officers is about the same for Dallas (372) and Ferguson (391).  The ratio is actually worse for Dallas, though, because of the much greater weekday daytime and weekend nighttime population from the surrounding cities.

I don't know if there even is a cap.  My point is that speeding tickets are a rounding error in Dallas' budget and that a city requiring traffic citations for a significant portion of its budget us fundamentally insolvent.

Edit:

Actually, what a city like Ferguson should be forced to do is disband their city police force and rely on county police if they really can't afford an independent force.  Most cities of Ferguson's size in South Florida do not have their own departments.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2015, 04:09:27 PM
People? No.

I anticipate killing at least one mole this year.  Killed one in 2013 and another in 2014. 

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Hey now.  I rooted for Holmes HS the other night against the rich white boy school.  That should buy me some anti-raciss credits.

Razgovory

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 12, 2015, 04:08:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 12, 2015, 02:23:18 PM
Dallas is a fairly large city with a large tax base.  Ferguson is not.  Also what is the cap that the a Texas city can get from speeding tickets?

Multiple disjoint points:

Not sure what you include in "tax base", but Dallas only gets about 43% of its budget from property taxes.  Also, Dallas may have a large tax base, but they also have large expenses that Ferguson does not because of the size of the city.

In general, the cost of city services scales with physical size and population.  The ratio of population to sworn officers is about the same for Dallas (372) and Ferguson (391).  The ratio is actually worse for Dallas, though, because of the much greater weekday daytime and weekend nighttime population from the surrounding cities.

I don't know if there even is a cap.  My point is that speeding tickets are a rounding error in Dallas' budget and that a city requiring traffic citations for a significant portion of its budget us fundamentally insolvent.

Edit:

Actually, what a city like Ferguson should be forced to do is disband their city police force and rely on county police if they really can't afford an independent force.  Most cities of Ferguson's size in South Florida do not have their own departments.

Cities don't always scale well. A city with an affluent population and a city with a poor population that are the same size are going to require the same number of police, fire and street employees.   Densely packed urban areas come out a head in taxation compared to a declining suburb.  They can disincorporate the town, (and possibly will), but it'll end up looking like East St. Louis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017