The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 12, 2015, 08:11:42 AM
Well, if you choose to be a part of an evil "elite" bent on oppressing the masses, you should be prepared to face the wrath of the people.

You, of all people, should cheer on this.  :frog:

Nah this kind of thing always leads to a Thermidorian Reaction.  The principles of those calling for oversight and reform of the police will be blamed for this by counter-revolutionary forces. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 12, 2015, 06:16:57 AM
Wow, as if things weren't bad enough in that town.

Wonder if this is what Holder wanted.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

derCracka sez, "Nigga's be niggin'!"  :klanhat:

derspiess

I blame the commie outside agitators, actually.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2015, 10:01:31 AM
I blame the commie outside agitators, actually.

Along with the whole civil rights movement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

derspiess

In one of the videos where the cops get shot, you can hear some voices taunting the cops and they are clearly nerdy white voices.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2015, 07:48:30 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2015, 06:21:31 AM
They don't have much choice.  People want police protection but are unwilling to pay for it.  Municipality needs to generate revenue somehow.

Police Departments get money from the municipality yes but also from State and Federal sources.  If the State governments wanted to do something about this they could and, in many places, do.  It is not like every municipality is equally notorious for this sort of thing.

Most municipalities in Missouri are guilty of this.  There is a cap on how much revenue a city can get from traffic fines, and Ferguson didn't break that cap.  There is a bill in the General assembly that will lower the cap.  Urban and Suburban communities can only get 10% of their money from fines but small towns can get 15%. :rolleyes:  I think the current cap is 30%.  That law was created because of the notorious town of Macks Creek, which got most of it's funding from speeding tickets.  Two years after the law passed capping how much money a town can get from fines Macks Creek went bankrupt and dissolved.  So while stopping this practice seems like an easy solution, it can have negative consequences.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2015, 10:58:06 AM
In one of the videos where the cops get shot, you can hear some voices taunting the cops and they are clearly nerdy white voices.

Level 2 tech support?

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2015, 09:54:36 AM
You're welcome.

I hear a nerdy white voice coming from the back of Languish.  Coincidence?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2015, 06:21:31 AM
They don't have much choice.  People want police protection but are unwilling to pay for it.  Municipality needs to generate revenue somehow.

Sure they do.  They can cut unnecessary crap from their budget.  Dallas manages to have a $2.2B budget, with $736M for "public safety", while collecting only $36M in fines from all sources.

If a municipality really cannot survive without a massive influx of fine revenue, it doesn't deserve to exist.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2015, 11:17:21 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2015, 09:54:36 AM
You're welcome.

I hear a nerdy white voice coming from the back of Languish.  Coincidence?

There are nerdy white voices from the back, front, middle and every side of Languish, 360 degrees round.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson