The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on January 09, 2015, 05:04:45 PM
Is the horse being placed on paid leave pending a grand jury hearing?

Hands Up! Don't Bite!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on January 09, 2015, 05:01:36 PM
QuoteBaltimore police horse bit hand of child in wheelchair, lawsuit says

That's hilariously bad PR.

Could have been worse ... [/Mr. Hands]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Hopefully this will spur some much needed reform.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2015, 05:31:20 PM
Hopefully this will spur some much needed reform.

I thunk that would be putting the cart before the horse.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Not strictly related to the topic of the thread but seemed the closest:

QuoteGeorge Zimmerman Arrested For Aggravated Assault With Weapon
George Zimmerman was arrested late Friday for aggravated assault and domestic violence with a weapon after allegedly throwing a wine bottle at his girlfriend, Florida police and his lawyer said.

Then 31-year-old was detained at 10 p.m in Lake Mary, near Orlando, his booking record shows. At a Saturday morning court appearance, Zimmerman was granted a $5,000 bond, which he posted. He was released from jail a short time after noon, and was ordered to not have any contact with the alleged victim or travel to Volusia County, where she lives, reported NBC affiliate WESH.

A lawyer for Zimmerman said the woman is his girlfriend, and the incident involved him allegedly tossing a wine bottle at her earlier this week at his Lake Mary home, according to the Sun-Sentinel newspaper.

He also must surrender any firearms he owns — even though the judge said there was no indication he used one in this case. He is expected to appear in court again Feb. 17.

Zimmerman was acquitted by a Florida jury in 2013 of second-degree murder in connection with the killing of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin.

He filed a defamation suit against NBC News but a judge dismissed that claim last summer. He has appealed the judge's decision.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Yeah, you'd think he's a victim of profiling or something.

garbon

Hadn't he faced the same charges in 2013 when he pointed a shotgun at his girlfriend?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 09, 2015, 05:04:45 PM
Is the horse being placed on paid leave pending a grand jury hearing?

Is being sent to Aldis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2015, 01:48:01 PM
Hadn't he faced the same charges in 2013 when he pointed a shotgun at his girlfriend?

QuoteFriday's arrest is far from Zimmerman's first run-in with the law since he was acquitted in 2013 of a second-degree murder charge for shooting 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. According to the AP:

— He was arrested on charges of aggravated assault, battery and criminal mischief after his then-girlfriend said he pointed a gun at her face during an argument, smashed her coffee table and pushed her out of the house they shared. Samantha Scheibe decided not to cooperate with detectives and prosecutors didn't pursue the case.

— Zimmerman was accused by his estranged wife of smashing an iPad during an argument at the home they had shared. Shellie Zimmerman initially told a dispatcher her husband had a gun, though she later said he was unarmed. No charges were ever filed because of a lack of evidence. The dispute occurred days after Shellie Zimmerman filed divorce papers.

— Zimmerman has also been pulled over three times for traffic violations since his acquittal.

In September, police said a man accused Zimmerman of threatening him during an altercation on the road, though he was never arrested or charged, according to CNN.

"I will ... kill you," Zimmerman allegedly said, according to police. "Do you know who I am?"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".