The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 11:13:35 PM
When I say it, people look at me funny.  Guess I should do it with an English accent.

"Community Policing" is pretty much the center square on my Seedy Bingo card.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2014, 10:06:35 AM

Do you think he's wrong?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

I'm about as baffled as anyone by the NYPD chokehold thing, and I don't have a problem with the sentiment even if it violates NBA rules.  But... comic sans??

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2014, 10:06:35 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 11:13:35 PM
When I say it, people look at me funny.  Guess I should do it with an English accent.

I prefer "peace officer" over "police officer", and think everybody should go back to the corners twirling their espantoons and carrying revolvers.  Big fucking .357 revolvers, but still.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 09, 2014, 10:52:50 AM
I prefer "peace officer" over "police officer", and think everybody should go back to the corners twirling their espantoons and carrying revolvers.  Big fucking .357 revolvers, but still.

So, no Segways then? :unsure:

Berkut

The weird thing about the entire "I Can't Breathe" thing is that him saying "I Can't Breathe" pretty much destroys the claim that he was in a chokehold, doesn't it?

I mean, a chokehold is defined as cutting off the windpipe - if you can say "I can't breathe" then pretty much by definition you *can* breathe, since it takes air to form sounds. You might be having trouble breathing, but that cannot be because you are in a chokehold, but for some other reason (like asthma, compressed lungs, etc.)

What is the difference between a headlock and a chokehold, if in fact it isn't using the arm to restrict air?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on December 09, 2014, 11:41:03 AM
The weird thing about the entire "I Can't Breathe" thing is that him saying "I Can't Breathe" pretty much destroys the claim that he was in a chokehold, doesn't it?

I mean, a chokehold is defined as cutting off the windpipe - if you can say "I can't breathe" then pretty much by definition you *can* breathe, since it takes air to form sounds. You might be having trouble breathing, but that cannot be because you are in a chokehold, but for some other reason (like asthma, compressed lungs, etc.)

What is the difference between a headlock and a chokehold, if in fact it isn't using the arm to restrict air?

I thought the scenario was that they used a chokehold, put him in restraint, and triggered some sort of health crisis - during which he said "I can't breathe" and during which they rendered no aid - that lead to his death. I.e. the situation wasn't that they directly choked him to death, but that they used a prohibited procedure that triggered breathing difficulties and continued to exert pressure on him until he died, rather than giving aid while he was clearly physically distressed.

Now, I haven't read any of the reports closely or anything like that, but that's my impression.

CountDeMoney

Being able to say, "I can't breathe" is simply proof that one can exhale enough air past the vocal cords to make sound.  Perhaps he should've said, "I cannot breathe as well as before, as I am taking in less air with each subsequent breath due to external pressure.  This is called asphyxiation."

I've seen how a corpse makes a creepy low moan when the abdomen is compressed at the morgue, as the air still trapped in the lungs leaves even hours after expiring.  But it doesn't mean it's breathing.  That would be even creepier.

crazy canuck

I seems to me that "I can't breathe" can also be short form for "I am awfully sorry officer but your hold on me is severely impairing my ability to breathe such that I fear I will expire momentarily".