The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 06, 2014, 10:27:15 PM
It has happened a bit. There was that story about the St. Louis County city that disbanded itself.

Yeah, it happens when the funding runs out.  Or sometimes people.  Kinloch was were the affluent blacks used to live.  Now nobody lives there.  Half of Bridgton is gone, eaten by the airport.  And of course, nobody goes to East St. Louis.  It's like Mordor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 07, 2014, 10:25:59 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2014, 10:02:30 AM
What an idiot.  You have a situation where only your partner is a witness, and all you have to do when shooting an innocent guy who was no doubt reaching for his gun is not shoot the wall first, and he failed at that.

That case is interesting because the cop actually fired down a blackened hallway so he really had no idea what he was shooting at. His story is he had his gun drawn and accidentally pulled the trigger. I think whatever actually happened that cop is a fuck up, 10 year olds know you don't fire at something if you don't know what it is. And if he really did accidentally discharge that should be an insta-firing / negligent homicide charges.

At 18 months you'd think he'd still be on probation and not even vested long enough to be in the union, so calling a rep wouldn't matter and he would be fired immediately. 
Even on overtime, he should've been with a field training officer who would've shoved his firearm up his ass when he unholstered it.  But hey, black people are scary.

Syt

How likely is it that an accidental discharge could happen without having the finger on the trigger, anyways?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Syt on December 07, 2014, 10:54:17 AM
How likely is it that an accidental discharge could happen without having the finger on the trigger, anyways?

I think his story is he had his finger on the trigger, when he was startled he pulled it. Basically him and his partner were doing a patrol through a public housing building (one notorious for criminality, thus why NYPD is patroling it regularly), and in a darkened stairwell he drew out his flash light and I guess because he was scared a crazed black person could jump out of the shadow he had his gun drawn in his other hand. So imagine him just walking around the building with the flash light in one hand and his gun in the other.

It's real Keystone Cops shit.

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/berkeley-garner-protests-turn-violent-131754146.html

QuoteProtests over Garner's death turn violent in Berkeley

Peaceful protests over the chokehold death of Eric Garner took a violent turn in Berkeley, Calif., on Saturday, when several masked protesters smashed store windows and hurled objects at police officers who used smoke and teargas to disperse the crowd.

According to Berkeley police spokeswoman Jenn Coats, two officers were injured during the protests, including one who was hospitalized with a dislocated shoulder after being hit with a sandbag. There were at least six arrests during the demonstration, which drew approximately 1,000 people to the streets of the San Francisco suburb.

Police in riot gear used batons to push back protesters during several confrontations. One protester was seen smashing the window of a store with a skateboard; another was seen in aerial footage being dragged to the ground by several officers in a scene reminiscent of Garner's arrest. After police threw a smoke bomb to thwart one group of demonstrators, a protester picked it up and lobbed it back.

There were protests in cities around the country for the fourth consecutive day since the grand jury's decision not to indict the white New York city police officer, Daniel Pantaleo, in the July chokehold death of the unarmed Garner during a confrontation in Staten Island that was captured on video.

In Seattle, seven people were arrested while trying to block a roadway in downtown Seattle, where more than 600 people participated in a march and demonstration in front of police headquarters.

According to the Seattle Times, a group of protesters who broke off from the main group began throwing rocks at officers, police said.

Peaceful protests were held in other cities, including Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami and Las Vegas.

In New York, the demonstrations were considerably smaller on Saturday night than the previous three, due in part to heavy rains.

More protests were planned for Sunday.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 07, 2014, 11:01:04 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 07, 2014, 10:54:17 AM

I think his story is he had his finger on the trigger, when he was startled he pulled it. Basically him and his partner were doing a patrol through a public housing building (one notorious for criminality, thus why NYPD is patroling it regularly), and in a darkened stairwell he drew out his flash light and I guess because he was scared a crazed black person could jump out of the shadow he had his gun drawn in his other hand. So imagine him just walking around the building with the flash light in one hand and his gun in the other.

It's real Keystone Cops shit.

I'm asking because I was taught to not put the finger on the trigger unless I was just about to shoot at a target.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

LOL, back in the '60s riots down at College Park, they'd fire off tear gas canisters in the crowds and the students would use lacrosse sticks to whip them back.  CRADLE CRADLE PASS

Neil

Hopefully they burn Berkeley down, and then they all get executed.  Those aren't protesters, those are just the usual troublemakers looking for an excuse to do some damage.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

I felt bad for the Trader Joe's that got looted.

THINK OF THE FANCY CHEESES
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 07, 2014, 06:11:02 PM
I felt bad for the Trader Joe's that got looted.

THINK OF THE FANCY CHEESES

Think of all that cheap, tasty food!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I bet every foodie within 5 miles grabbed a locally sourced brick and headed on in there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I have to admit that I'm a little surprised to hear about "rioting" in Berkeley. Sounds much more like what you would expect out of [coded racism]Oakland[/coded racism]. -_-

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Syt on December 07, 2014, 11:18:16 AMI'm asking because I was taught to not put the finger on the trigger unless I was just about to shoot at a target.

Yeah essentially no entity I'm aware of that trains people in shooting teaches you to put your trigger on the finger just for walkin' round. Dude is an idiot/fuck up cop, likely soon to be an ex-cop.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall