The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

derspiess

They pulled it almost immediately due to the shit they got for it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Their social media team have not covered themselves with glory. Seeing them argue with a football team over the definition of 'apology' was a particular low.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Why is the post offensive or inappropriate? It seems reasonable.

Also, should a police department have a competent "social media team"?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2014, 04:48:19 PM

Sometimes people don't like to listen to reason.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2014, 04:20:50 PM
I think "local election" is the keyword.  Since when did they have a high turnout?  How does this compare to other places?

I raised it because I thought the key word was "people bitching about a black majority town having a white government."

Sheilbh

It's not that bad. The advice itself I think is generally fine. The title 'kids will be kids?' is awful. I think the timing is also very bad, especially as it's actually naming the kid who was killed.

QuoteAlso, should a police department have a competent "social media team"?
Of course, maybe not every department - especially as the US seems to have very small ones. But it's another way of communicating with their community and with the media. Those are both pretty important aspects of the police's job.

They can help communicate information directly to their community and can help calm situations down. Also I've seen them getting out details of missing people very successfully when those stories aren't of interest to the media. It seems that it is a pretty useful tool, just like having a competent press officer was forty years ago.

But I've seen a few Twitter and Facebook posts by this department and I don't get the impression that's what they're doing.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 04, 2014, 05:09:32 PM
QuoteAlso, should a police department have a competent "social media team"?
Of course, maybe not every department - especially as the US seems to have very small ones. But it's another way of communicating with their community and with the media. Those are both pretty important aspects of the police's job.

They can help communicate information directly to their community and can help calm situations down. Also I've seen them getting out details of missing people very successfully when those stories aren't of interest to the media. It seems that it is a pretty useful tool, just like having a competent press officer was forty years ago.

But I've seen a few Twitter and Facebook posts by this department and I don't get the impression that's what they're doing.

Some of your more progressive agencies have civilianized, or at least made major civilian inroads for their media relations department, particularly out west.  IIRC, Portland PD's media people are all civilians and public relations professionals.

Unfortunately, media and public relations units are just like everything else in a police department;  it's for sworn uniformed personnel, with specific slotting.  When I was in it, I was never on television because I wasn't in a uniform.  Remember my buddy, Corporal Reuters?  :lol:

It's a cop thing, just like everything else: "we know what we're doing, because we're cops and you're not." 

derspiess

My brother's best friend is the Public Information Officer for WV State Police.  He was on national TV the other day when some dude shot 4 people in Morgantown.  Great guy, close friend of the family, but I keep telling him to work on that damned accent.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

If they are on social media, they should know how to communicate. Far to many companies and organisations are on social media "just because", and fail miserably.
Use the presence for something useful, or just stay away altogether.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2014, 05:50:57 PM
My brother's best friend is the Public Information Officer for WV State Police.  He was on national TV the other day when some dude shot 4 people in Morgantown.  Great guy, close friend of the family, but I keep telling him to work on that damned accent.

MAH GRAVY
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

If they use social media, then they probably should aim to have competent people involved, yes.

jimmy olsen

A bit old, but I don't remember this video being posted here. If it was please ignore, but I thought it was on topic.

http://www.wltx.com/story/news/local/2014/09/24/video-released-released-of-trooper-involved-shooting/16187305/
QuoteVideo Released of Trooper-Involved Shooting

11:52 a.m. EDT September 25, 2014

Columbia, SC (WLTX) - The video showing a shooting involving a former South Carolina state trooper and an unarmed man has been released to the public.

The video was taken from the dash camera installed inside 31-year-old Sean Groubert's vehicle during an encounter in which Groubert shot 35-year-old Levar Jones on September 4th. The incident took place at a Circle K gas station on Broad River Road in Columbia.

Groubert was charged Wednesday with assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature in connection with the incident. Bond was set at $75,000.

Previous Coverage:Trooper Fired for Shooting Unarmed Man | 5 Previous Complaints Against Trooper | Trooper Involved in Shooting Was Involved in '12 Incident

In the video, Jones can be seen getting out of his car when Groubert pulled up and asked for his license. Jones can be seen reaching into his car for his license, and as he does, Groubert begins yelling at Jones and fires several shots.

Jones was hit by one bullet in the hip. He is recovering at home after being hospitalized for the injury.

While shooting at Jones, Groubert can be heard yelling, "Get out of the car, get out of the car."

Jones replied,"I just got my license, you said get my license."

Groubert responded by telling Jones to get on the ground.

While on the ground Jones said, "I have my license right here, you said get my license."

In the video Groubert can be heard asking Jones if he was hit by a bullet and went on to say, "Bro, you dove head first back into your car."

After seeing the video in court, Groubert's attorney, former Fifth Circuit Solicitor Barney Geise, says that his client is not guilty and is looking forward to his day in court.

South Carolina Department of Public Safety Director Leroy Smith fired Groubert September 19th after observing the video and reviewing a report from the State Law Enforcement Division. In dismissing Groubert, Smith called the facts of the case "disturbing."

The charges filed Wednesday were brought by the Fifth Circuit Solicitor's office, which also reviewed SLED's findings. Groubert faces a maximum of 20 years in prison.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney