The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on November 28, 2014, 05:42:37 PM
I saw a cop acting in haste and not properly prepared. So did you. ("fell backwards on his ass in the snow as he's backing up to get behind his car, surprised as shit he had to draw his weapon and use it ")

:lol:  I don't think he expected to slip on the snow, no.  He was not properly prepared for that. 

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 28, 2014, 05:44:58 PM
I saw a cop acting in haste and not properly prepared. So did you. ("fell backwards on his ass in the snow as he's backing up to get behind his car, surprised as shit he had to draw his weapon and use it ")

:lol:  I don't think he expected to slip on the snow, no.  He was not properly prepared for that.

"surprised as shit he had to draw his weapon and use it"

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on November 28, 2014, 05:35:00 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 28, 2014, 05:25:33 PM

Timir was approaching the car as the car was pulling up.  From the time Timir got up from the bench and moved to towards the direction the the patrol car was approaching....7-8 seconds.

Watch the Vid.

I have watched it. The kid never moves more than three or four slow steps from the bench he was sitting on.

Claiming (as was originally reported) that the cops told him three times to put up his hands 'as he approached the car' is flat-out misleading. The mental image that conjures up is a perp ignoring and threatening the officers by advancing on them - not at all what the video shows.

QuoteOne of the officers -- the one in the passenger seat -- told Tamir three times to "show your hands," Tomba told reporters.

"(The officer's) door was open as they pulled up," Tomba said. "He yelled three times as they pulled up."

The eight-minute surveillance video has no audio.

Police have said Tamir reached into his waistband and pulled out the weapon. The video shows Loehmann, the passenger-side officer, exiting the car, and Tamir falls down, apparently shot.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/26/justice/cleveland-police-shooting/

What vid are you watching. Three or four steps??? Timir is sitting at the table , gets up, moves around the table to his right, taking at least 8 steps in the patrol cars direction of approach.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on November 28, 2014, 05:46:22 PM

Yes, Malthus, contrary to what you may believe, I'm pretty sure the guy didn't come out of roll call that morning with the intent of shooting and killing a 12 year old boy.  Sometimes you're actually surprised.

And I'm out.  You're being an even more insufferable douchebag than usual, and that's quite a bit, even for your usual insufferable douchebag ass.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 28, 2014, 05:50:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 28, 2014, 05:46:22 PM

Yes, Malthus, contrary to what you may believe, I'm pretty sure the guy didn't come out of roll call that morning with the intent of shooting and killing a 12 year old boy.  Sometimes you're actually surprised.
And I'm out.  You're being an even more insufferable douchebag than usual, and that's quite a bit, even for your usual insufferable douchebag ass.

Not by the way this thread reads.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 28, 2014, 09:07:37 AM

Once they were actually up close and the kid went for something in his waistband, part of me can understand the reaction. But part of me feels like they should have taken in the totality of the situation, namely that this is clearly a little kid, a pre-teen even, and that they should consider what they're doing a little differently.

That being said it's probably worth mentioning this kid had an airsoft gun, which is somewhere between a the harmless toy Jacob is going "pew pew" with and a dangerous weapon. It's more akin to a sling shot--it is a toy, but you can really hurt someone with one. I played with such guns as a kid, but I spent a lot of time in rural areas, I'm not sure it's wise to let your kids play with air soft guns at public playgrounds in the city limits of a big city. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if it's against ordinance. I only bring that up to say that somewhere in the guardianship chain of this kid, something broke down. I wasn't allowed to touch an airlift gun until I had been thoroughly taught "this is for shooting stuff with like cans or whatever, you NEVER point this at another kid or shoot another kid with it." You could (to quote a famous movie) put someone's eye out.

My son has a replica AR-15 airsoft rifle, and he was and still is pissed at me that I won't let him play with his buddies in the park behind the local junior high school, even during the summer.

It is illegal to have a "weapon" in public in New York, and I told him that there was no way he was brandishing it in public. He thinks I am a big jerk who doesn't let him have any fun, and all his friends are allowed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

I like this notion that we must blindly obedient to all orders from police officers or face immediate execution. Well as long as you are brown skinned.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2014, 08:36:51 AM
I like this notion that we must blindly obedient to all orders from police officers or face immediate execution. Well as long as you are brown skinned.

Yes, it must be rather disturbing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Look at it this way, if Garbon can roll a pair of dice and he gets shot if he rolls a 2 or 3, I'm not gonna roll those dice just because I'd have to get a 2.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 29, 2014, 09:15:47 AM
Look at it this way, if Garbon can roll a pair of dice and he gets shot if he rolls a 2 or 3, I'm not gonna roll those dice just because I'd have to get a 2.

You are less likely to be put in the situation to start: less likely have 911 caller scared of you, less likely to pose a threat while walking in a hoodie, less likely to be pulled over while driving normally, less likely to be called out for loitering suspiciously, etc, etc.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2014, 09:24:05 AM

You are less likely to be put in the situation to start: less likely have 911 caller scared of you, less likely to pose a threat while walking in a hoodie, less likely to be pulled over while driving normally, less likely to be called out for loitering suspiciously, etc, etc.

...and less likely to be engaging in a crime, to be brutally honest.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on November 29, 2014, 09:33:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2014, 09:24:05 AM

...and less likely to be engaging in a crime, to be brutally honest.

Well ignoring the specifics of him and, I - sure.