The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on November 27, 2014, 04:04:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2014, 03:07:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 27, 2014, 02:56:27 PM
The problem Seedy, is that the kid is walking in that direction before the car pulls up.  As Malthus said, the police statement makes it sound like the police gave him ample warning which the kid ignored.  That simply didnt happen.

The kid showed a gun in his waistband.  He got shot.  It is unfortunate for the kid and it is unfortunate for the officer that has to live with that. 
The fact that he was 12 and it was a toy are irrelevant to the decision-making process of that officer at that split second.  You do not fuck around with guns. 

How many white guys, legally conceal carrying, get killed a year by cops who misinterpret what they're doing with their clothing/jacket?

A. I'm pretty sure 12 years olds can't get concealed carry permits
B. Police were specifically called about a boy with a gun
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2014, 03:07:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 27, 2014, 02:56:27 PM
The problem Seedy, is that the kid is walking in that direction before the car pulls up.  As Malthus said, the police statement makes it sound like the police gave him ample warning which the kid ignored.  That simply didnt happen.

The kid showed a gun in his waistband.  He got shot.  It is unfortunate for the kid and it is unfortunate for the officer that has to live with that. 
The fact that he was 12 and it was a toy are irrelevant to the decision-making process of that officer at that split second.  You do not fuck around with guns.  Don't see why this is such a difficult concept to understand or appreciate, but then again, I do.  Because everybody else fucking knows better.   

But I am through arguing police responses to inner city gun calls with sanctimonious Canadians and a Pinochet-obsessed Brit.  South America.  Kiss my ass.

How can the fact it is a kid in a playground (as opposed to, say, a masked thug in a bank robbery) not even be relevant to the police choice of response?

I get that the cops could not tell if it was a real gun, but surely context makes some difference here?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

I just watched the video.  It's still isn't clear at all what exactly happened.  However, one thing seems to be clear is that the boy had more than a second to react.  If a cop car is driving right towards you with sirens and lights blazing, and is driving onto the grass, you know they're probably looking for you and looking at you.  What happened next may have been a tragic misunderstanding, but the whole chain of events didn't start with the cops.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on November 27, 2014, 04:04:34 PM
How many white guys, legally conceal carrying, get killed a year by cops who misinterpret what they're doing with their clothing/jacket?

I don't know the statistics, but when derspiess gets shot hopefully he'll post about it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2014, 03:58:31 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 27, 2014, 03:53:24 PM
And most likely trying to show them it was just a toy

And you say that based on what exactly?

That he had a toy.  It seems unlikely to attempt to show that he had a real gun since he didn't have one, or to shoot the police due to the lack of a real gun.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 27, 2014, 04:11:38 PM
I just watched the video.  It's still isn't clear at all what exactly happened.  However, one thing seems to be clear is that the boy had more than a second to react.  If a cop car is driving right towards you with sirens and lights blazing, and is driving onto the grass, you know they're probably looking for you and looking at you.  What happened next may have been a tragic misunderstanding, but the whole chain of events didn't start with the cops.

That would not be my first thought.  Mine would be that I was in the way, or that they were after someone.  Now admittedly I don't have the clear headedness of a gradeschooler.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

So not quite enough time to allow you to type those four words.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on November 27, 2014, 04:17:30 PM

That would not be my first thought.  Mine would be that I was in the way, or that they were after someone.  Now admittedly I don't have the clear headedness of a gradeschooler.
Being 12 doesn't make you a mental cripple.  You're old enough to know that cops can shoot at you mistakenly if they think you have a gun.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2014, 03:58:31 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 27, 2014, 03:53:24 PM
And most likely trying to show them it was just a toy

And you say that based on what exactly?

The fact he didnt have a real gun and if the police report is accurate they were yelling at him about a gun.

DGuller

Speaking of videos, is there dashcam footage?  I would imagine that in most cop cars the camera is always on if your lights are on.  That should provide the audio part of the story that is sorely missing.

crazy canuck

I suppose if you live in a police state.  Most other people who are not doing anything wrong (like this kid) would wonder why the police are there.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on November 27, 2014, 04:08:07 PM
How can the fact it is a kid in a playground (as opposed to, say, a masked thug in a bank robbery) not even be relevant to the police choice of response?

I get that the cops could not tell if it was a real gun, but surely context makes some difference here?

A gun is just as dangerous at a playground as it is in bank robbery. 

But this is the American-Canadian disconnect at work here, where your idea of some idyllic sylvan playground full of happy children and unicorns is different than the reality of a playground in east Cleveland.  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on November 27, 2014, 04:22:13 PM
Speaking of videos, is there dashcam footage?  I would imagine that in most cop cars the camera is always on if your lights are on.  That should provide the audio part of the story that is sorely missing.

It's Cleveland PD.  No dashcams.

Tonitrus

Looking at the video, it doesn't appear they were running up with lights (cannot tell about sirens).  And I think hard-charging up onto the grass right into things was probably a bad call on the cops' part.

Kid was pretty irresponsible playing about with a toy gun like he did...but I also have to remember my childhood.  We'd play with battery-powered water guns, black-plastic (no caps) assault weapons (they were modeled off of real guns too!) that looked like something ISIS would envy having.  Cops today would not have loved seeing them.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 27, 2014, 04:19:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 27, 2014, 04:17:30 PM

Being 12 doesn't make you a mental cripple.  You're old enough to know that cops can shoot at you mistakenly if they think you have a gun.

I didn't grow up in the Soviet Union so when I was out playing as a kid I wasn't thinking that cops would shoot me because they mistook my toy gun for a real one.  I also didn't think about getting a commercial license for a lemonade stand or about moving violations while riding a bike.