The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2014, 02:11:06 PM
Ide's right;  Canada is like America, only better.

By all means, move there and be among your people.  Enjoy the football, snow, and charming accents.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2014, 01:36:02 PM

The trouble I have with "independent police investigation" units (and, for that matter, to special prosecutors being appointed) is that you get these things being handled by people who have no idea how to do a proper investigation (or a proper prosecution).  Investigating potential criminal activity is a very specialized and difficult area, and that expertise lies entirely within the hands of the police.  Unless you're going out and only hiring retired police officers (which takes away from the supposed independence of the agency) you're just not going to get proper investigations done.

About the best we can do is have independent police agencies do these investigations, or at least have other police agencies do them.  It's not perfect but it's the best we can do.

I'm not sure an investigation done by the inexperienced isn't better than one done by those with a conflict of interest.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: PJL on November 26, 2014, 03:20:29 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2014, 12:01:55 PM
People don't realize when you're shutting down the main artery into the city, it creates a domino effect throughout the region.  I heard traffic was jacked up all the way to Howard County.
Definitely not the way to win the hearts and minds of Whitey.  Not when he just wants to get the hell home from a job he hates at the end of the day. 

That's exactly the sort of argument that Mono was saying a few weeks ago, and got lambasted for.

Mono's invective was offensive, but his point is valid. You can't win hearts and minds by breaking peoples' shit and obstructing their activity. Now we've got tea party sites running around raising money to fix up that lady's cake shop that got wrecked in the riot. When those guys are thinking more clearly than you are you've got a problem.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on November 26, 2014, 03:40:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2014, 02:11:06 PM
Ide's right;  Canada is like America, only better.

By all means, move there and be among your people.  Enjoy the football, snow, and charming accents.

Heh, for snow, we are looking south of the border - at Buffalo.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Regardless, you know Seedy would totally lose his shit over the slightest annoyance he encounters in Canadia.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 26, 2014, 03:57:30 PM
Regardless, you know Seedy would totally lose his shit over the slightest annoyance he encounters in Canadia.

Like Canadians?  Oh hell yeah.  Those people are monsters.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2014, 02:30:43 PM
I'm puzzled by the five year requirement.  It seems to me you either hire ex-cops, or you don't.  Waiting five years just means you're going to get ex-cops who couldn't hack it in whatever their originally planned retirement job was.

BB, the five year requirement only relates to police officers from this jurisdiction.  I think it is fair to assume there are a lot of good candidates in other jurisdictions.  Your assumption is not fair.

CountDeMoney

People don't realize when you're shutting down the main artery into the city, it creates a domino effect throughout the region.  I heard traffic was jacked up all the way to Howard County.
Definitely not the way to win the hearts and minds of Whitey.  Not when he just wants to get the hell home from a job he hates at the end of the day. 

That's exactly the sort of argument that Mono was saying a few weeks ago, and got lambasted for.

Mono is rooting for the wrong side;  I'm rooting for the right side, just trying to get its message out in a more palatable, Cracker-friendly fashion.   :P

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 26, 2014, 03:59:10 PM
I'm puzzled by the five year requirement.  It seems to me you either hire ex-cops, or you don't.  Waiting five years just means you're going to get ex-cops who couldn't hack it in whatever their originally planned retirement job was.

BB, the five year requirement only relates to police officers from this jurisdiction.  I think it is fair to assume there are a lot of good candidates in other jurisdictions.  Your assumption is not fair.

The number of ex-cops who want to move between provinces after reaching retirement age is going to be pretty small.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2014, 04:12:48 PM

The number of ex-cops who want to move between provinces after reaching retirement age is going to be pretty small.

And yet, by some miracle, we have a well respected non local cop dominated independant investigation office.  Go figure.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 26, 2014, 04:15:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2014, 04:12:48 PM

And yet, by some miracle, we have a well respected non local cop dominated independant investigation office.  Go figure.

It's a brand new organization.  The jury is still out on how well respected it is.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2014, 04:25:48 PM
It's a brand new organization.  The jury is still out on how well respected it is.

They have handled a number of investigations to date. Curious as to how you can possibly make the judgment the "jury is still out" when you know nothing about it?

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2014, 04:04:46 PM

Mono is rooting for the wrong side;  I'm rooting for the right side, just trying to get its message out in a more palatable, Cracker-friendly fashion.   :P

We are rooting for the same side, the side against people who cause trouble  :hug:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on November 26, 2014, 04:46:52 PM
We are rooting for the same side, the side against people who cause trouble  :hug:

Quiet, pinko.